Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Museo de la honda (Sling museum) (Read 7905 times)
timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: Museo de la honda (Sling museum)
Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 10:21am

The site seems to be a just a more practical way of reaching items from this site, which we has linked to before.
http://research.amnh.org/anthropology/database/collections

timann

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:36am

fantastic link, Rockman! Cheesy

i'm very partial to this north american one because it looks like one of mine. i wonder if it's just a coincidence or maybe a cultural thing?

this one has to be my favorite braided one. i love the extreme taper on the release cord!

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 1:20pm

the north american one looks like the pouch is knotted with an overhand to the cords, but i can't see for sure. do you think the loop was for pinching or for very slender fingers?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 3:55pm

i think it's bigger than it looks, Kid, and i bet very comfortable. i know when i sling a lot, it's my index finger (where the loop goes) that gets sore first. a big spongey loop like that would help quite a bit i think.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #19 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:07pm

the pacific sling had a very large release cord, with a lovely taper.......thinking about trying to make one.

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #20 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 10:23am

One thing I appreciate is that Hondero listed the sources of the photographs. A lot of them come form museums, and if you take the time to look up the museums you can find even more great sling pics.

Paleoarts,

Unless I'm mistaken, that Pacific sling doesn't isn't made with braiding. It looks to me like the cords are plied together like rope.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #21 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 11:37am

timann wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 3:47pm:
Among the North American slings there is on labeled Mescalero Apache, flat leather pouch with leather cords, which shows that our Apache slings is not necessarily a very typical Apache sling type.
timann
http://perso.wanadoo.es/hondero/sling34.html.

I agree, I strongly suspect that the Apache sling that we know comes from the Spanish influence. That actual Apache sling above is what led me to to the ladder pouch, see the slit across it? I tried it and it works brilliantly.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #22 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 1:17pm

David Morningstar wrote on Apr 2nd, 2010 at 11:37am:
timann wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 3:47pm:
Among the North American slings there is on labeled Mescalero Apache, flat leather pouch with leather cords, which shows that our Apache slings is not necessarily a very typical Apache sling type.
timann
http://perso.wanadoo.es/hondero/sling34.html.

I agree, I strongly suspect that the Apache sling that we know comes from the Spanish influence. That actual Apache sling above is what led me to to the ladder pouch, see the slit across it? I tried it and it works brilliantly.

The Mescalero Apache people are one group of Apache among many Apache and Athabascan tribes with their own language. What we call an Apache sling could just easily have come from another tribe of have been a unique invention of "Grandfather".

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #23 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 10:22pm

Timothy Potter wrote on Apr 2nd, 2010 at 10:23am:
Paleoarts,

Unless I'm mistaken, that Pacific sling doesn't isn't made with braiding. It looks to me like the cords are plied together like rope.

-Timothy Potter

absolutely correct, sir. my mistake. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Shale

Canada
Reply #24 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:53pm

I stumbled across this thread and decided to bump it up. There are some great pictures on the sling museum website that are worth checking out. It's in Spanish, but hooray for Google Translate.

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 9:33am

Number 60 shows similar wear patterns as I see on my slings. Its more apparent though due to the material its made from. Some of these must be ceremonial. Lots of interesting info there. Thanks for the bump.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, Kick)