Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
legal status of slings (Read 32248 times)
Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: legal status of slings
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 11:21pm

Will the Badger weigh in?He should know.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #16 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 12:21am

Alrighty New Yorkers! Slings ARE NOT defined as a weapon. Period. But any instrument held withintent to use unlawfully against someone is a dangerous object. Have a look for yourselves:

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?COMMONQUERY=LAWS

Section Penal
Part 3
Title P
Article 265

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #17 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 8:09am

WTG, Masiakasaurus;
    Good find.  What ever the legalities, a bit of common sense goes a long way.  I've slung in a park where the local police were training their dogs.  There were dozens of policemen watching me, but because I don't sling when there's anyone within 300 yards of me in any direction they just enjoyed the show and said nothing.  Use your sling, at least when using potentially deadly projectiles, as if you were firing a gun.  As soon as one of us hurts or kills a bystander, besides the human tragedy, slinging as we know it will be done for all of us.
    Enforcing laws against slings would be difficult because, like many of us, I can make an effective sling from a bootlace or something similar, in a matter of seconds.  Check out Malik Lund's Appu-sling in the Guides and Articles section.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #18 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 10:14am

What about atlatls?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 11:20am

Et Cetera wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 10:14am:
What about atlatls?

This should help:
http://spear-hunting.com/legal.html
This is the spear hunting regulations for each state in America.

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #20 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 6:34pm

Woonilsra wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 2:59am:
i once asked an officer about slings or something like that. i forget what i asked, but im pretty sure the answer applied to slings.
he basically told me that anything propelling and object at lethal forces could be considers illegal.
that or i asked about concealed weapons, with the sling in mind.

to wrap it up, dont kill someone, and im sure you'll be fine.

I also asked a cop about this one time he said it is only illegal if they can prove u are good enuff to kill some one with it and not just a lucky shoot but every time othere then that they can ask or make u stop were u are doing it but can not charge u with any thing as for carring it u in the U.S. have the right to carry a weapon (othere than a gun) with u at all times as long as it can be seen by all so as long as u can see the sling or sling bag u should be good (But this dose not mean u will be) Wink

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #21 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:54pm

US open carry laws are more stringent than you make out, slingingrat. In Texas all knives one your person must be less than 6" unless you own a license.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #22 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 1:21pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:54pm:
US open carry laws are more stringent than you make out, slingingrat. In Texas all knives one your person must be less than 6" unless you own a license.

the blade or the whole thing?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #23 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 2:24pm

Blade

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #24 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 5:09pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 9:54pm:

An 18 year old can carry a pistol on ones waist or even an assault rifle on your back as long as its not full auto.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #25 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 8:14am

Not in some places. Lil Wayne was arrested in New York for having a handgun in plain view in his tour bus. He was convicted of Conspiracy to Possession because he wasn't able to prove he had a license for the weapon (which he didn't).

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #26 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:07am

Thats actually the norm in most of the united states, which makes it atypical for North America, like in Europe most guns are entirely illegal. I'm not sure about Australia or South America, but the rest of the continents are either high variation enough or lacking sufficient detail in the laws for me to make any real statement.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #27 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 10:09pm

My point is that all generalizations are evil. Even this one. When you look at things as black and white you're liable to miss a lot of important details. And missing details while accidentally hitting people may just get the sling banned somewhere. Do you understand where I'm coming from?

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

John

Endangered Species!

Melbourne
Reply #28 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 12:02am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 10:09pm:
My point is that all generalizations are evil. Even this one. When you look at things as black and white you're liable to miss a lot of important details. And missing details while accidentally hitting people may just get the sling banned somewhere. Do you understand where I'm coming from?

I suspect in most places if you actually hit someone or their property then theres going to be issues. If you cause injury/damage expect many additional issues. If you scare someone (and some people go out of their way to be scared) expect issues.
     Think hard about where you throw and what you throw with. Also remember in some places and with some people the perception that you are using a weapon will totally alter how they view events. I've just spent an afternoon with some friends and their family thumping a cricket ball around a park(hey its just a sport...)... and then got lectured by them how dangerous slinging tennis balls must be... It took a bit of logic and explanation to get some reasonable and rational people on my side - dont just expect everyone you run into to be as reasonable. I think Masiakasaurus is sadly on the right track. Sooner or later a slinger is going to mess up and youll see a ban somewhere. Lets try to delay it as long as possible Smiley.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #29 - Apr 5th, 2010 at 2:32pm

Amen, John.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)