Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spear Hunting (Read 6382 times)
Jwest12
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Spear Hunting
Mar 26th, 2010 at 11:12am

How many of you guys have ever hunted with a spear? Next weekend I'm going out hunting boar with a few guys. I was wondering what experiences any of you had with spear hunting. I have hunted with guns and bow and arrow before but never spears.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Spear Hunting
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 1:58pm

Hi, jwest;
    When I was a child we used to "hunt" with home made wooden point spears.  The local animals were very safe.  I've never seriously spear hunted as an adult.  It sounds wild.  Will you be using an atlatl?  Please keep us posted and if at all possible, get some pictures.
   Btw, you get my first post on my new computer.  It's an emachine laptop that's supposed to suck, but so far I like it.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 4:22pm

In the old days before the bloody gunpowder, it was considered to be among the most dangerous activities apart from war, so watch out. The French king Philip IV. lost his life hunting wild boar.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 4:24pm

I saw a special on TV about boar hunting with spears. Most of the people used a Cold Steel Boar Spear with flanges to keep the boars from running up the spear and goring the hunters. They would stalk the boar, but I never saw anyone throw their spear.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 4:56pm

Maybe something like this? It is called Saufeder in German, specially designed for killing boar at short distance. But even this did not always keep the boar from winning... Lips Sealed

Saufeder.jpg (75 KB | )
Saufeder.jpg

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 7:28pm

The standard "boar spear" of the middle ages indeed had a stout crossbar to keep the boar from charging too far up the spear....The technique (as I understand) would be if the critter charged you were to plant the butt of the spear in the ground and hold tight....
A more likely scenario would be as in the illustration above; a pack of hounds bringing the beast to bay and then finishing it with the spear.

At any rate, a hazardous and physical undertaking!   Good practice for war during the middle ages....

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 12:23am

Well, the technique in question involved chasing a boar down with hounds while mounted, so you could keep up, and once they start fighting everyone dismounts and forms a circle. The boar then rushes, and you plant and hold the spear, with the crossbar preventing the boar from closing. However, said boar might just try to do something fancy, like avoid the spear head, and you want long spears for this, so that could screw you up. Its very dangerous, but probably pretty fun. That said, I would consider having at least one gun as well, if things go south.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 3:42pm

Knaight wrote on Mar 27th, 2010 at 12:23am:
That said, I would consider having at least one gun as well, if things go south.

That´s not a very sportive attitude.. Grin

IP Logged

Jwest12
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 3:48pm

http://budk.com/Swords/Fantasy-Swords/Spears-and-Tridents

That is the link where we bought or spears from. I am getting the long shaft assegai, my little brother the cold steel boar spearand my dad the samburu. We want to try the different kinds out to see what works the best. I'm not sure whether we will be throwing them at all or just stabbing. Have to wait and find out.

I was googling spear hunting online and I came to this guy, who I found amazing. The greatest spear hunter alive. http://www.huntingwithspears.com/AboutGeneMorris/tabid/1418/Default.aspx
Check it out if you get a chance.

IP Logged

NECURS

Silent & Deadly

BackWood's Nebraska
Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 4:05pm

Good luck on your Spear Hunt, And If you can get some Good picture's ! Here's a Company that has a little better price's on the Spear's and on Order's over 125.00 there's Free Shipping, You can get all three Spear's for 138.21 Shipped Free, In case you decide to Order again here's the Link, The Spear's are on page 2,
http://www.thebladeshop.com/SearchResults.asp

NECURS&&BackWood's Nebraska&&Nebraska Mountain Cur's

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 6:29am

Like Rat Man I was spearhunting as a child, without being a real danger to animals.  Spearhunting would be among the most illegal things I could do now, nothing without gunpowder is legal for hunting in Norway(okey, some traps, sometimes, but still...).
Appearently the most used spear hunting method now among the Great White Hunters is sitting in a three and throw /drop the spear down on the animal.  What kind of sport is that.  
And then it is the dog and boar thing.  Can easily be done with a knife too, by real MEN Wink.  
No, if I should go spear hunting I would prefer the Kalahari way, run after the pray intill it can run no longer, and throw the spear at it.
I hope this shows a tiny bit of sporty attitude Cheesy

According to this Cold Steel video I watched (and it sounds logical too), spear throwing for hunting is usualy done from one, two or three spear lenghts distance(not considering mammoth hunting here).  The lenghty javelin throws from the olympic games is probably more of a war thing.

Not to forget, bear hunting.  The traditional way of hunting bears, stand on one knee, spear on ground, spear point toward bear, make  bear charge you, lift spear point in appropiate moment, leave the butt of the spear on ground, steadied by rear foot.

timann

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 7:01am

I believe hunt is Hunting and Sport is sport.

It is not to be seen well the hunting as a sport.

The hunting with the spear was valid as Knightly
and if a practise was for then war.

Besides, many farmers died.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 8:38am

Well my remark about the non sportiness of taking a gun was me being sarcastic. I seriously think this is a very foolish undertaking, especially in light of the remark about "taking different types of spears and see what works". You did consider that what doesn´t work can potentially kill or seriously maim you...? I for one hope that if you go through with this, you won´t be finding any boar.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 10:47am

I often go with a spear to then wood.

Stumps go hunting. They are really difficult to shoot. Wink Wink Cheesy Grin

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:45pm

Jwest, on paleoplanet "the greatest spear hunter on earth" is getting some negative feed back. seems a little full of himself, though i'll say he has some skill.

Necurs: the blade shop has a bad reputation, was going to get something until when i was reviewing the seller they never told you your object was on backorder until you bought it, and then they kept the money.

not to burst your bubble, but i thought i might disclose what i found on the web sometime before.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)