Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advanced Braided Split Pouch Techniques Needed (Read 3255 times)
Olde Schoole
Tiro

Advanced Braided Split Pouch Techniques Needed
Mar 22nd, 2010 at 4:49am

I have some trouble with making my pockets. Sometimes they're great, other times they twist, or one side is longer, or for some reason I'm missing tennis balls and rocks constantly fall out or catch on release. Others work perfectly time and again. They take me anywhere from half an hour to two hours to make, and it's really frustrating when they flop. Can anyone direct me to a detailed tutorial or thread where this is specifically are addressed?

These are the slings that I haven't given away as gifts. As such, Most of these are "flops" (not the skinny one in the middle; I carry it in my back pocket everywhere and love it).

Bows don't kill people: idiots with arrows do.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Re: Advanced Braided Split Pouch Techniques Needed
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2010 at 7:25am

They look good to me  Smiley
I'm not sure how to prevent that happening, I don't make a to of braided slings. I would think just as you're braiding, put them side by side and see it they are the same length before continuing.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2010 at 2:36pm

http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

Try this one. I had the same problem as you and came up with this. Holds nearly everything.

If you like the simple split pouch, I´ve found that you need rigid material rather than flexible ones. Try sissal for a siple split pouch, I made one after a bad experience with a limp material and it works just fine.

baleric_001.jpg (36 KB | )
baleric_001.jpg

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2010 at 3:26pm

if your using jute and you find it too twisty wet it before braiding. it'll turn rock hard, and will make braiding easier. if you make it perfectly straight and good without a twisted pouch when hard

-it'll dry straight and good without a twisted pouch
-it'll be much softer
- did i mention it dries in the shape it was in? if the sling is crinkled initially then just smooth it out when wet and let a rip

As rockman said, using stiffer materials are good too. sisal especially.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 8:41pm

Hi, Olde Schoole;
    I've seen slings that look worse than your "flops" called successes.  I find that making braided slings isn't an exact science.  As you say, some come out perfectly and some just don't.  I believe that the only real solution is to keep practicing.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:22pm

My first 2 braided split pouches came out twisted, now it never happens.  I'll have to try it again so I can explain it to you, it has to do with choosing the proper strands to braid, or braiding both sides without flipping the sling over, or braiding the same strands at both sides, I have a nasty cold right now and I have a terrible headache and congestion so I can't think straight.  A braid has 3 strands, (may be made up of combined strands,) and when you braid 2 strands go out one way and 2 go out the other, so make sure that they are in the same direction of both sides and then braid your pouch using the same strands on both sides.  If this is all babble excuse me, I can barely think right now.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Olde Schoole
Tiro

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 1:33am

-Et C- Thanks.  Wink

-Rock- I'll try one of those soon. But, yeah. I do like the simple ones: though I haven't tried that kind yet.

-Rock & Kid- I made my first slings out of twine, and you're right; they never twisted. But I like the thinner, flexible slings better. When they work. Maybe I should try them again now that I've got more slings under my belt.

-R M- Thanks. I will keep practicing, but I feel there has to be some degree of science to it. I just don't want to make dumb mistakes over and over if someone out there can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm an engineering student and hate not understanding something like this.

-Luke- This is what I've been looking for, I think. I always struggle to decide which strands to split/combine, how they should be oriented, how tight/loose they should be at the split, etc. But I am having a bit of trouble following you in the details. Maybe when you're feeling better.(?)

Bows don't kill people: idiots with arrows do.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 3:28pm

I have pondered this a lot myself, as I have braided slings beyond numbers myself.  It obviously is some kind of science to this, but I threat it as an art anyway.  It is the little things that count, like keeping even pressure toward both sides, keeping the upper side of the braid up at all times buring braiding, separating and reconnecting the pouch in an functional, and thereby eshetically beautiful and harmonic way.  I is easy to make a fuctional and pretty sling, but it takes a lot of practice to reach above that level....I think.....
I have a little project going now, where I want the reconnecting of the pouch of 5-strand braided slings to look good enough to make  myself satisfyed.  Not an easy task.....
timann

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 3:44pm

When I make a split pouch I use alternating half hitches over an unbraided core for the pouch instead of braiding. It works for me.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 1:23am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Mar 24th, 2010 at 3:44pm:
When I make a split pouch I use alternating half hitches over an unbraided core for the pouch instead of braiding. It works for me.

Having a little trouble visualizing that. Have you got a pic?

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)