Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Sling as a Hand to Hand Weapon (Read 10425 times)
me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

The Sling as a Hand to Hand Weapon
Mar 15th, 2010 at 1:03am

Got to thinking about the various places I've seen scarves, chains, and belts used for fighting/detering an attacker that has gotten too close.  The braided slings are certainly strong enough for this, and maybe some weights could be added to the ends to make a weighted chain/sling combo.  Any records of ancient slingers being closed on and having to throttle their opponents with their slings?  How about sheperds strangling dogs or foxes after the lambs?

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Re: The Sling as a Hand to Hand Weapon
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 5:32am

if you are using a sling as a melee weapon, you are using it wrong Cheesy

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 7:14am

Mordechaj wrote on Mar 15th, 2010 at 5:32am:
if you are using a sling as a melee weapon, you are using it wrong Cheesy

Grin

I don't believe it could be very useful in hand to hand combat - except you are Jet Li or so, but if you are, you probably won't need any weapon at all.

Shepherds used to (and many still do) carry a stick or staff with them, for multiple uses, among them, in the old times, to hit wolves and other predators (or human thieves) if they got into close range.

Even David is reported to have carried his sling and staff with him when he walked into the duel with Goliath.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 7:33am

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 9:06am

i have had that same idea about putting a weight on the end of my sling....and i believe that david morningstar pointed out that it is called a slung shot and its a fenoly in most places to use it....but if your life is at stake......well........... Roll Eyes

149.JPG (324 KB | )
149.JPG

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2010 at 2:33pm

A sling is as an effective hand to hand weapon as any piece of rope...not at all really.
European shepherds carried a shepherd´s shovel (pointy blade with crook attached), a pretty effective  weapon. You can still buy these (I think a regular crook is more practical though)

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 12:01pm

Hi me2;
   I've thought about this also.  I think that by attaching a lock to the fingerloop you could make a fairly effective flail.  I would probably use something like that to defend my Huskies against attacking loose dogs.   Hopefully I'd never have to use something like that against humans.  As Liberty dog pointed out, you've made an illegal deadly weapon by doing this, but if your life is in danger you have to do what you have to do.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 1:33pm

a simple clip or loop used to lock the stone in the pouch and you've got a very serious close quarters weapon.

As for having to be jet li - ANY weapon requires extensive practice for a person to be any good with it - this would be no different.
If you want to effective with a weapon and not have to practice, then you're using a firearm. Which is why they're popular they're idiot weapons (any idiot can use one).
Most hand to hand weapons are NOT idiot weapons - ie: they require extensive training and practice to be effective.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 3:42pm

go with some Mace, the sling although will be okay for driving off pests, a an attacker would be much harder to hit. plus i, using luck, can even grab a fast moving rope without get rope burn or any bad pain. other hand to hand weapons work because of how short they are, so that they can be retracted easily, and can land a fast blow.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 4:07pm

I have found that some of my slings, like the Apache slings, simply is slung shots waiting to happen.  Put in the (last) stone, make on overhand knot with the cords, and bash the skull of the enemy(s).
If I was an ancient warrior I could do this when I was surrounded and would die anyway Wink
timann

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 10:43pm

It would be like a bola with just one weight. Forget what that is called.

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2010 at 10:58pm

Just tonight I made a very nice choking cord with mine, just leave the stone in the pouch and sneak up behind the intended victim.  Swing the sling across in front of their neck so that the pouch swings back around the neck where your hand is waiting.  It is a very effective method of garroting as it was used by the Deciever cult in India, only the weapon was not a sling just a weighted rope.  Don't worry, I just tried it on my bedpost!

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 1:05am

LukeWebb wrote on Mar 16th, 2010 at 10:58pm:
 Just tonight I made a very nice choking cord with mine, just leave the stone in the pouch and sneak up behind the intended victim.  Swing the sling across in front of their neck so that the pouch swings back around the neck where your hand is waiting.  It is a very effective method of garroting as it was used by the Deciever cult in India, only the weapon was not a sling just a weighted rope.  Don't worry, I just tried it on my bedpost!

The Japanese have something similar, a short length of chain weighted at both ends known as the "Manrikigusari."

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 10:04am

the original indian 'garotte' was used by the thuggee cult and was a scarf weighted at one end and knotted in the middle.
You never seen indiana jones and the temple of doom ? Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 9:12pm

I've had some training with the kusari fundo/manriki gusari, which is what brought about this question.  A sling cannot hope to match a weighted chain for impact and durability, but the entangling techniques seem quite workable, if somewhat more vulnerable to breakage and cutting than a chain. 

Obviously this would be a last ditch effort.  Against a well armed attacker you'd be SOL, but surprise has its advantages.  As with any fight, it depends on skill and determination as much as armament, so the outcome is hardly fixed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)