Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Sling as a Hand to Hand Weapon (Read 10428 times)
timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: The Sling as a Hand to Hand Weapon
Reply #15 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 2:03pm

From a Japanese point of view a sling can obviously be used for strangulation and hayanawa techniques.
timann

IP Logged

JerrySlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 3:56am

Liberty dog wrote on Mar 15th, 2010 at 9:06am:
i have had that same idea about putting a weight on the end of my sling....and i believe that david morningstar pointed out that it is called a slung shot and its a fenoly in most places to use it....but if your life is at stake......well........... Roll Eyes

I think you would do better with a padlock

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 11:52pm

Run and sling, run and sling. This is a distance weapon. You lose all advantage at close range.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 6:43pm

Just a note on using the weighted pouch with overhand knot.  I was able to split a gallon milk jug using a 10 oz. stone tied into the pouch of my 36" sling.  Gave it a whirl and bam, a split about 10 inches long.  The jug was full of water at the time.

IP Logged

Cthulhu
Descens

Slinging Rocks!  (and
tennis balls)

hiding somewhere in Indiana
Reply #19 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 7:00pm

I tried using my 35" sling as a mace today, only instead of a overhand knot I just used a carabiner clip that i keep handy on my belt

unable to find a rock, I used a walnut. The walnut was smashed. so was the spring on my clip Grin. ( I was able to get it back in place with a pair of pliers )

this actually seems like it would make a good last-ditch weapon. Even if one were to block it with a stick/mace, it could still swing around, possibly still  hitting them or giving you a chance to knock their weapon out of their hands.

still, no good against swords or spears, or someone with a large shield.

"aw, thats  cute..." &&yes, why don't you stand next to that tree over there and tell me how "cute" it is again.

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 5:09pm

if you can strangle them and try to use it like a garrote (sp), your good to go! but for the most part, its impractical, so as others have said, use it for range

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

SirBrittanicvs
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 11:03pm

I wouldn't use it in a tussle, as I carry other items that are better for that sort of thing, but I have considered wrapping my sling (Baeleric style, #18 nylon) around my fist for a loaded, abrasive punch.

IP Logged

wolf197
Descens

All over SouthCentral Alaska
Reply #22 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 2:00am

When I was younger I had an idea simular to this, and it made a cool humming sound as I spun it around. What I did was wrap a stone the size of my fist with first rope, then ducttape then more rope and some ductape. I probaly had 8 feet of rope figuring it would be better, I got to swinging it and was thinking this would be great for the four dogs that attcked me every morning and evening on my way back and forth from the busstop. then I stopped swinging it. As the rope was wrapping around my body I did not think about the rather large rock on the other end, it hit me square in the back of the head. I threw that up in the trees after. It'll work, but it is a two way street, ever try stopping a weighted rope down? And people thought being hit by the retention cord stings (And oh it does at times).

-wolf197

If you can't find 'em grind 'em!
wolf197  
IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - May 2nd, 2010 at 10:15am

So you're saying I should use my sling for ranged attacks?  Really?  No kidding?  I never would have thought of that. 

Of course this is a last ditch effort/improvised way to do things.  However, flexible weapons have been used for a long time, if for no other reason than when you need them they are handy.  With all the historical data here on slings, I just wondered if there was any record of this happening.  The option to keep distance is not always available.  In a war, the slingers would have backup/melee weapons, but for a shepherd it seems that you may have to go with what you've got.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #24 - May 2nd, 2010 at 10:25am

If you know Hojo jutsu then a sling could come in handy.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)