Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
finishing wood with vegetable oil? (Read 5170 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
finishing wood with vegetable oil?
Feb 26th, 2010 at 10:51am

can you give wood an oil finish with cooking grade vegetable oil? i think you probably can, but it might rancid or something.... you guys (and gals) can probably see i'm incompetent with wood working lol.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Re: finishing wood with vegetable oil?
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 11:06am

kid, i know a lot of bow makers who regularly oil their bows with vegetable (usually corn or olive) oil. it isn't to give the wood a finish so much as to keep it supple and from drying out. an easy way to give most woods a simple finish is burnishing. that's where you rub the surface with something smooth and hard, like glass or a very smooth stone. this compacts the outer grain and leaves a shiny surface. real oil finishes like tung oil and linseed oil have other ingredients in them than just oil. with tung oil, you apply a coat, let dry for ten minutes, then wipe off the sticky excess and buff.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 5:12pm

I addition to what Paleo said, an oil finish is usually something that will soak in a little and then dry leaving the top of the wood with a protective shell of finish. Vegetable oil will not dry, but does prevent weathering, warping, and cracking. You may want to buy Linseed oil (natural but high effort), varnish/clear coat (synthetic and harmful fumes), or burnish (most labor intensive, but costs nothing) like Paleo said.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 7:04pm

walnut oil is extremely good.
It's used quite a lot by woodturners to give a durable finish to food bowl interiors.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 11:09pm

xxkid123 wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 10:51am:
can you give wood an oil finish with cooking grade vegetable oil? i think you probably can, but it might rancid or something.... you guys (and gals) can probably see i'm incompetent with wood working lol.

kid, yes, you can, but, yes, it will go rancid. Boiled linseed is probably the most commonly used wood oil. I use it on gunstocks, bunny sticks, hiking sticks, etc.

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 11:50pm

Where do you get linseed oil?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:13am

Et Cetera wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 11:50pm:
Where do you get linseed oil?

I got mine at the local hardware store. Walmart might have it. A paint store?

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)