Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
methods of shaping thin leather and stuff? (Read 2079 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
methods of shaping thin leather and stuff?
Feb 23rd, 2010 at 5:03pm

the title wouldn't fit it all, but is there any method of shaping leather to keep it open? i'm going to make a knife sheath, and although i will stretch the leather, i need a method of keeping the leather in an open circular shape to fit the knife handle (a deep pouch sheath).

and that being said, i'm thinking of sewing in a paper clip ring, but i need to shape down the end so that it's not rough or pointy. i'm thinking of hot gluing the end, but that creates a small bulge which i don't want.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Re: methods of shaping thin leather and stuff?
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 5:17pm

How thick is your leather? I recently made a knife sheath for a Mora knife, and I just soaked it in water and clamped it to the shape i want and let it dry.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 5:22pm

Et Cetera wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 5:17pm:
How thick is your leather? I recently made a knife sheath for a Mora knife, and I just soaked it in water and clamped it to the shape i want and let it dry.

1/8 of and inch, maybe less. i have some thicker leather that's 1/4 inch (elk hide) but doesn't stretch too well, and i don't have anything suitable to poke holes in it.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 5:33pm

Than it might work to soak it and then bend it.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 11:40pm

make the sheath slightly big, stick the knife in, wet the leather, shape and hold it around the knife handle, and let it dry. You also may want to make it 2-ply using thin leather.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 3:59pm

yeah, i'm also thinking of stitching it so that the base where it doesn't need much forming but needs to hold the blade would be elk hide, and then a much loosed flexible leather on top

Masiakasauras, how would i do that? because the center tends to get ripply if you stitch around, and if you where to stitch in the inside then you would have to make hundreds of mad stitches.

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 4:09pm

Kid, you can use an awl for the holes. If you don't have one, use nails. Just lay out the leather and use a small hammer to put the nail through the leather.
  Try using upholstery needles. They are available at fabric and craft stores ( Joanne's, Micheals) They are thicker, and some are curved. It really helps. While you're there, a heavy cotton or hemp thread will be great for sewing. ( can you tell I do this alot?)

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 4:22pm

slingbadger wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 4:09pm:
Kid, you can use an awl for the holes. If you don't have one, use nails. Just lay out the leather and use a small hammer to put the nail through the leather.
 Try using upholstery needles. They are available at fabric and craft stores ( Joanne's, Micheals) They are thicker, and some are curved. It really helps. While you're there, a heavy cotton or hemp thread will be great for sewing. ( can you tell I do this alot?)

lol, probably not, especially with your cobbling background and your knowledge of these crafts and your involvement with the SCA

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 9:56pm

I used some thin copper wire for my stitching as I had nothing else, it turned out I think. BTW, has anyone noticed that wet leather seems to react with carbon steel knives?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 10:47pm

I use this tutorial, except instead of acetone I use water. http://beknivessite2.homestead.com/pouchsheath.html

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 10:50pm

Et Cetera wrote on Feb 24th, 2010 at 9:56pm:
I used some thin copper wire for my stitching as I had nothing else, it turned out I think. BTW, has anyone noticed that wet leather seems to react with carbon steel knives?

The end of this tutorial talks about that.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 7:27am

Aha, must've just been the water. But boy, it rusted fast, just a few minutes.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 12:11pm

great, i'm stuck with thumbtacks and hammers to knock holes into my hide lol. i'll start in a few days.

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)