Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Last European full-time bow hunters? (Read 2387 times)
Mangrove
Tiro

Finland
Last European full-time bow hunters?
Feb 23rd, 2010 at 2:53pm

Who were the last people to hunt full time with bows in Europe? I know that "bow culture" disappeared from Finland in 1750s or little later and was substituted by "crossbow culture". These people hunted only with bows or sometimes with a spear.

I reject your reality and substitute my own&&   - Adam Savage

IP Logged

Slinger93
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Last European full-time bow hunters?
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 3:03pm

Last European full-time bow hunters? The answer is only one: Look for one of the Polish historical ethnic group, called "Kurpie".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurpie

They were the best archers (they weren't popular, but believe me - they were better than English medieval archers...) in the history of Europe.

"Ja pierdolę" - tymi słowami rozpoczynam każdy dzień...

IP Logged

Mangrove
Tiro

Finland
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 3:21pm

Slinger93 wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 3:03pm:
The answer is only one: Look for one of the Polish historical ethnic group, called "Kurpie".

Are there evidence of continious bow tradition from medieval times to modern days? Is bow hunting their number one method of catching food or just a "hobby"?

IP Logged

Slinger93
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 3:40pm

Mangrove wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 3:21pm:
Slinger93 wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 3:03pm:
The answer is only one: Look for one of the Polish historical ethnic group, called "Kurpie".

Are there evidence of continious bow tradition from medieval times to modern days? Is bow hunting their number one method of catching food or just a "hobby"?

I don't know what is the situation of bow in "Kurpie" in modern times, but in Poland, it is ILLEGAL to hunt with bow, so I think, that they are not using bows in modern times to hunt.
Interesting example of Kurpie bow hunters is, when King Charles X Gustav of Sweden, travelled by Kurpie forests in the time of Polish-Swedish War, called "Potop" ("Deluge"), Kurpie archers almost killed him, by their bows (bows, which were generally used for hunting...).

I am sure, that Kurpie, used bows as a weapon to kill people (enenemies) up to the Napoleonic Era, but for hunting, up to the end of XIXcentury/start of XXth century - Isolated cases of using bow for hunting happened up to the time of World War II.

IP Logged

Mangrove
Tiro

Finland
Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 4:04pm

Slinger93 wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 3:40pm:
I am sure, that Kurpie, used bows as a weapon to kill people (enenemies) up to the Napoleonic Era, but for hunting, up to the end of XIXcentury/start of XXth century - Isolated cases of using bow for hunting happened up to the time of World War II.

If we could just get a confirmation for this piece of information. Do you know any books or articles regarding their hunting methods?

IP Logged

Slinger93
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 5:12pm

Mangrove wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 4:04pm:
Slinger93 wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 3:40pm:

If we could just get a confirmation for this piece of information. Do you know any books or articles regarding their hunting methods?

I've got a lot of books/articles/fragments of literature, but only in Polish...

IP Logged

Mangrove
Tiro

Finland
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 2:04am

Slinger93 wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 5:12pm:
I've got a lot of books/articles/fragments of literature, but only in Polish...

Could you name some of the book titles? Also if you tell more about their bow designs during the 1800s.

IP Logged

Mangrove
Tiro

Finland
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 6:07am

I have several accounts that Mansi people, rather close relatives of Finns, used bow similar to other Finno-Ugric people at least until the first years of the twentieth century. The Finno-Ugrian Society has published Artturi Kannisto's notes from his 1901-1906 trip to Mansi people in book "Artturi Kanniston kansatieteellisiä muistiinpanoja 1901-1906". It contains a good description of their arrows but only few lines of the bows but it's clear that the design has remained the same for many thousands of years due of the few suitable tree species living in the Northern Europe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark)