Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
how often are you armed with a sling? (Read 8461 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: how often are you armed with a sling?
Reply #15 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 7:04pm

Quote:
Hi Rat, I completely gave up slinging while walking the dogs, reason 1 Tinna started to eat the ammo(yep, swallowing stones she barfed up later at home...) reason 2, that same dog has been developing an increasingly worse hip condition over the last half year or so , running after stones is not a good idea right now.

Yo, kruggur;
   Watch that rock swallowing.  It's called pica and can get chronic.  Kali did that for a while when we first got her.  She cost us a fortune at the vets and almost killed herself.  I had to keep a basket muzzle on her face every time we went outdoors for six months to break her of it.  Prior to Kali's pica I'd never used anything like that.. no muzzles, electric shock collars, choker collars, etc...  I had to admit that my dog training skills weren't enough to save her. 
    It's a shame that you had to give up on that practice time, but you can't endanger your pooch's health.

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 5:18am

I have one in my back pocket - but I never use it, and 2 in my backpack.
But if I have to answer your question the answer would be: never.

I am equipped with a sling if I'm wearing pants, but would not consider myself armed.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 11:12am

I've double laced both my hiking boots so when I'm in the woods I have a sling and a snare holding my shoes on! Grin I used to carry a sling everywhere, but now I just keep a couple in my truck and use one as a hat band for my favorite straw hat. So even though I usually don't have a sling on me all the time, I have several near me in case I find a good spot to practice.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 11:46am

I'm afraid I rarely have one on me, "strange" stuff like that is a bit of a social taboo around here... and when I do have one on me, I don't feel any more "armed" then when I have a shoelace in my pocket.  At the moment, hitting the broad side of a barn is about the only thing I can do, this summer's goal is accuracy.  As far a protection goes, I prefer a hardwood walking staff, preferably tipped with metal.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Sgt.X-treme
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 12:05pm

why would you care if anyone thinks it is weird?

IP Logged

Olde Schoole
Tiro

Reply #20 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 6:15am

I always carry a thin long split braid in my back pocket.

Upside: I can sling anytime there's a proper place and ammo.

Downside: I'm tempted to sling anytime there's ammo whether or not there's a proper place.

Bows don't kill people: idiots with arrows do.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #21 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 7:28am

Olde Schoole wrote on Mar 23rd, 2010 at 6:15am:
I always carry a thin long split braid in my back pocket.

Upside: I can sling anytime there's a proper place and ammo.

Downside: I'm tempted to sling anytime there's ammo whether or not there's a proper place.

I always say that the your best shot is the one that you don't take.  Living it is sometimes difficult.  I also agree with Eoraptor about the sling as a defense weapon.  I hope that I don't have to defend my Huskies or myself with my sling.  We'd be in deep trouble.  Plus, as we discussed on another thread, you really don't know if there's going to be trouble with an approaching dog until it's too late for a sling to do any good.  To defend myself and my pooches I carry a bamboo walking stick.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 10:14pm

Doesn't matter where I'm going. I never walk out the door without at least one sling.

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #23 - Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:15pm

no matter how you think of the sling, whether its for sport, or war, or hunting, it makes no difference. when you have a sling in your pocket you are armed. we all know what a sling is capable of. to think any other way is a mistake. if you ever need to use a sling to defend yourself or someone else, then its very possible than you were not paying attention to the world around you. distance is always best, and fast feet are good too....lol

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Cervantes
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Houston TX
Reply #24 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 6:57pm

Well I carry my every time I leave the house. 9MM stays in the vehicle, sling comes with me. I set up a target today on the tracks behind my work place. A Pepsi can on a reed. I must have taken 200 tries before I hit it at 30 feet. And it was a rebounding hit, bounced off the track..Gotta practice practice practice, I think I'm getting slingers elbow..

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #25 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 10:29pm

I never go anywhere without a sling... and I can't walk past a good slinging rock without picking it up either.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #26 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 11:44pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 3:25pm:
If I'm wearing clothes I'm carrying a sling Smiley

At least it gives you some place to put it. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #27 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 11:16am

Armed? Shocked

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #28 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 11:44am

Quote:
Armed? Shocked

And dangerous.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #29 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 12:50pm

Though there are a few circumstances where a sling would be a useful defensive weapon, these times are few and far between.  As Eoraptor points out and as discussed on other threads, one of the best personal defense weapons is a good walking stick.  I've been slinging for about a year and a half and in that time I've never used a sling to defend myself or my Huskies.  I have, however, during this period used my walking stick to drive off aggressive stray dogs three or four times, whack attacking dogs on their rears at least three times, and tune up one human prowler, big time.  
  The problem with using a sling against dogs is that you can't know an approaching dog's intent until he's much too close for a sling to be of any use whatsoever.  An aggressive stray won't even recognize your loaded sling as any sort of weapon, even if you're twirling it over your head.  When you lift that cane over your head, however, he's very likely to run for the hills.  
   I prefer a good, stout length of bamboo but any good cane will do.  Again, I'm not saying that a sling could never be a defensive weapon, but personally I find a walking stick much more useful.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Kick)