Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
how often are you armed with a sling? (Read 8454 times)
Sgt.X-treme
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

how often are you armed with a sling?
Feb 19th, 2010 at 11:11am

how often, or where does everyone else carry a sling? I carry one absolutely everywhere with me. Everyone that has seen my sling, but have not seen me use it hasn't even recognized it as a weapon at all. I had someone ask me if I was making a custom helmet chin strap, or an eyepatch. I wouldn't even try to use it on someone who is pointing a knife or gun at someone, because I am not confident enough in my accuracy, and I would likely look like an idiot, needlessly breaking someone's window when I am trying to hit a mugger, and escalating the situation instead of ending it by stopping the bad guy but if I ever see a rogue pack of feral dogs terrorizing a neighborhood, it is game on.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: how often are you armed with a sling?
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:35pm

Hi, Sgt.X-treme;
    Welcome to slinging.org.  I sling while walking my two Huskies, and I have to walk them at least two or three times a day.  It seems that I always have a sling in my pocket because of this. 

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:36pm

"a rogue pack of feral dogs"...where do you live, the slums of Mexico City? In defending yourself against that a sling would be a very poor choice of weapon imho.
To answer your question there usually is a sling somewhere in the many pockets of my coat, but I don´t consider myself "armed" because of it...

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:42pm

Hi Rat, I completely gave up slinging while walking the dogs, reason 1 Tinna started to eat the ammo(yep, swallowing stones she barfed up later at home...) reason 2, that same dog has been developing an increasingly worse hip condition over the last half year or so , running after stones is not a good idea right now.

IP Logged

Ron Burgundy
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

38.8716,-77.3343
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:46pm

Quote:
"a rogue pack of feral dogs"...where do you live, the slums of Mexico City? ...

In western Virgina & West Virgina I have run into feral dogs on numerous occasions. Had nothing to do with slums or Mexico.
A sling to me is a hobby so I take it out when I plan to sling. Personal protection I carry a .44 w/ a 4" barrel.

-Ron

I'm kind of a big deal around here.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 1:45pm

I live in Central Virginia and I see packs of dogs running around.

I always have a sling with me. At the very least it's a good conversation starter.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 1:51pm

At all times, sometimes I get  lucky and pass a proper place and throw some rocks.

And Ilovepancakes is right, nice topic of conversation. .

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 3:25pm

If I'm wearing clothes I'm carrying a sling Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 3:26pm

I rarely dont have one, its just a habbit. just in case there may be even the smallest chance (.001%), ill bring a sling.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 3:26pm

nearly always when on vacation, and sometimes on normal times.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 3:57pm

Always.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 4:46pm

The only time I don't have a sling on me is when I'm naked.... Or do I?....

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 5:07pm

(Staff sling perhaps? Or is that a mini-staff sling?)

I very often have a sling/s in my pocket or at least in the car, but I am very rarely armed with it. Slings are for fun and recreation, not really defence. You can't use one in a confined space like a gun. If it's all coiled up, it takes a considerable time to get it ready, plus having the sling isn't much good if you don't also carry at least one stone. Discharge that and all you've really got is a bit of string to defend yourself.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

John

Endangered Species!

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 6:16pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 5:07pm:
(Staff sling perhaps? Or is that a mini-staff sling?)

I very often have a sling/s in my pocket or at least in the car, but I am very rarely armed with it. Slings are for fun and recreation, not really defence. You can't use one in a confined space like a gun. If it's all coiled up, it takes a considerable time to get it ready, plus having the sling isn't much good if you don't also carry at least one stone. Discharge that and all you've really got is a bit of string to defend yourself.

'Please Mr Mugger stand still while I garotte you with my sling'...... Real problem is you need space to work with. While not ever having been mugged myself , from the 2 people I know who have it sounds like by the time they were sure it was a mugging, the range was very short ie the knife/screwdriver came out and the threats started at about 6-10ft. Its way too late. You pull out your sling before youre getting mugged and you'll probably wind up looking like a criminal yourself - either youve threatened someone who wasn't in the process of attacking you, or someone who will CLAIM they werent going to attack you no way officer sir this lunatic just pulled out this string thing and no that commando knife in my pocket was just so I could peel my apple later and no all those convictions I got for assault and robbery were ages ago - weeks even Im completely reformed............ If you can get to a distance where it will be useful in most cases youre probably better just keeping on running. Definitely theyre more a sporting good than a weapon these days.

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 6:25pm

I have a sling or two on me most of the time like when my wife and i want to bob evans and as we sat down at the table i looked at my wife and said u know the salt and peper shaker[sp?] on this table would make great ammo for my sling in a pinch i just got one of those looks  Grin

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris)