dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
phobias
Feb 18th, 2010 at 12:55pm

Does anyone here have any phobias?

For me it is tight spaces. I even hate to watch movie scenes when someone has to crawl through the air ducts. When I hear or see news of some idiot caught in a chimney or a kid in a well I almost feel like I will be sick. I very rarely sleep with any covers at all and if I do they don't stay on very long. I can handle spaces only as small as elbow to elbow stretched. The idea of a straight jacket terrifies me. If I had to wear one I think I would have a heartattack from the mental stress.

I also don't care for deep water, like when you are left floating in a lake alone after wiping out skiing while you wait for the boat to come back. 

IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Re: phobias
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 1:05pm

Quiche........no seriously, it gives me the shivers.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 1:10pm

Whats Quiche?

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 2:43pm

google dork, its a type of food, doesnt look to appatizing either.  Undecided

i hate spiders. absolutley hate them with a passion. i don't have a valid reason, they just creep me out.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 5:00pm

not knowing who's behind my back- or even worse, knowing someone that is behind your back and never knowing what they're doing (mainly at my locker- can never trust who's there to slam your locker shut)

cameras i detest- not scared, just detest. my dad used to take a lot of vidieos and pictures and things went downhill with that....

the dark, i don't know why

facebook notifications- you get them out of no where. i mean, i'm chatting with my friend, then these words pop out of nowhere creepy

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:28pm

I don't care for hights much, but I wouldn't say I'm super scared of being up high.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:37pm

Heights I'm okay with, but drops.... euggghhh!!!! Anything I can fall or jump over sends me into a wibble fit. I walked half way across the Golden Gate Bridge, but I had to sit down a few times to stop it from overwhelming me.

Bells whisky also makes me retch, but thats not a phobia.It perfectly a respectable response.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:17pm

people with no emotion on their faces when you speak to the or ask a simple question........its like their mind are on idle but no one is there to step on the gas????
gives me the heebiejeebies.

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:36pm

Lycurgus wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 1:05pm:

Just think of it as Egg Pie.
Standing too close to the edge of a high place creeps me out Huh...but I'm ok with spring board and platform diving.. Roll Eyes.go figure> I love thrill rides that incorporate falls and hills and curves and inversions ...etc. Cool

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:53pm

I don't really have any that I know of, but here's a story....
When I was in the army back in the 60s, our unit was selected to participate in a big NATO exercise in Norway.  They sent us all down to the mountain training school run by the Special Forces in Bad Tolz, Germany.
One of my buddies at the time was a lad from Boston.   We arrived in the mountains and it was so heavily fogged in that we couldn't see any.  We went on our first hike the next day up a narrow trail, but again the fog was so thick we couldn't see much beyond the trail.
Then the first day of rappelling.     We went to an old quarry with about a 40-foot vertical cliff.   The SF guys showed us how to make a rope harness and link into the rappelling line, and off we went one by one.   Until they got to my buddy.   He hooked up, started over the edge, and froze solid about 10 feet from the top.
Absolutely Acrophobic.   Never knew it!  He had never, in his 20+ years, been anywhere other than level ground!

Took us about 20 minutes to talk him down.....

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 10:38pm

Enochlophobia (fear of crowds). I have an allergy to Prevacid and proton pump inhibitors which caused me to have a paranoid schizophrenic break and lock myself in a closet "because I couldn't watch everyone". I walked out of rooms backwards so no one would have the opportunity to knife me while I wasn't looking. Before that my sister and grandmother both hallucinated on Prevacid, so whatever we are reacting to, the intolerance is genetic. I thought everyone was out to kill me, and large crowds give me weird flashbacks, like those stories of 50 year old businessmen suddenly having a bad acid trip despite not touching any drugs since the 60s. Not fun, for you kids out there: Don't do drugs. I used to have other phobias, but that's the only one with a good story.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:56pm

dork wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 12:55pm:
Does anyone here have any phobias?

For me it is tight spaces. I even hate to watch movie scenes when someone has to crawl through the air ducts. When I hear or see news of some idiot caught in a chimney or a kid in a well I almost feel like I will be sick. I very rarely sleep with any covers at all and if I do they don't stay on very long. I can handle spaces only as small as elbow to elbow stretched. The idea of a straight jacket terrifies me. If I had to wear one I think I would have a heartattack from the mental stress.

I also don't care for deep water, like when you are left floating in a lake alone after wiping out skiing while you wait for the boat to come back.  

I don't think I suffer from anything remotely like a "phobia."
I understand what you're saying about crawling through tight spaces, though--and I do get apprehensive about the idea of that.  Like that pitiable man who died stuck on a downward slant in a cave recently, where he was wedged into a bend and could not be drawn back out... That was an absolutely hideous way to die, in my view.  (I've read of similar things happening to burglars who tried to gain entry to a business through a duct and ended up jammed upside-down into a vertical shaft and were found dead there the next day.  I have no compassion for them.)  My difficulty with the tight-spaces thing would be the tightness-of-breath thing; the reason I don't believe it's a "phobia" is because I think we all have an instinct to kinda freak out when we feel we're being denied breath!

I love heights, but at the same time, heights have always challenged me.  Ledges, to be more specific.  Like walking to the edge of a roof.  At times in my life, I've actually endeavored to make myself get used to ledges, and met with great success.  But it is something that has to be maintained or it lapses.

Ironically, I hold licenses to fly and to skydive.  Altitudes are nothing to be afraid of at all.  But if I were to stand inside a skydive plane near the open door without a skydive rig on, I'd freeze up.  I have to have the knowledge that if I fall, I can save myself even after falling.  That's why I have problems with cliffs and ledges and roofs--the understanding that there's no saving myself if I fall from them.

But as I said, I have been able, at times, to condition myself to being close to ledges (I used to work on it when I was in college, for example, because the campus had places where one could stand on ledges), so I can't consider it a phobia, or even really a serious fear.

And I don't have particular fears of water, or crowds, or germs, or darkness, or animals...

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:37am

PJ for me its not the losing my breath its the constriction of my arms and the inability to move. Also I have stage fright which is odd concidering my wife and children are very involved with local theater. Speaking or performing in front of others is something I deal with in every day life. I do almost all of my outside work at night so I am less visible to my neighbors. When I mow the lawn I make very little eye contact and try to do it when noone else is mowing their lawn. Its really bizzar because I am 35 years old and feel totally comfortable skateboarding up and down the street no matter how many people are out.

Masiakasaurus
I had a friend that had an allergic reaction to his allergy meds with horrifying halucinations.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 1:01am

Cars looking like they are either turning perpendicular to one I am in, or moving perpendicular to one I am in. Granted, I was in a car accident due to some moron making an illegal turn right in front of a moving car I was in, and the car was totaled, so this is recent enough to make the term phobia questionable.

IP Logged

SlingKey
Descens

Shame? Pride? What're
those? (Lurker)

The NW Territories (U.S.)
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 6:40am

Steven wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:36pm:
Lycurgus wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 1:05pm:

Just think of it as Egg Pie.

I'd describe it as a spinach casserole (partly egg, served in a pie pan), and I am proudly unafraid, most of the time

My fears:

*Seamonsters. Serious. Anyone else have this one?

*German sentences/commands being hastily screamed with building intensity

*Nothing else, really. I don't even have any concerns beyond that

Stop Lying

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris)