Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
When and where the last professional slingers? (Read 20693 times)
Sons of benjamin
Descens

Re: When and where the last professional slingers?
Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 10:20am

There are many secluded peoples that still use the sling for hunting.  These people would mainly be in or around forests where there is very little modern human activity.  Also, there are people in the baleric islands that are professional slingers.  I watched a show on the history channel in which one of these slingers reenacted the shot that david would have had to make to kill goliath (in the baleric islands, slinging is a recognized sport.  This man was the world champion at the time).  He hit the target on the third try.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 11:39am

That man was Luis Pons Livermore, and he's also a member of this forum. I wouldn't call him a professional slinger, though. While slinging is still practiced in some remote places and is still a sport in the Balearic Islands no one is getting paid to sling. There are no organized professional leagues where the competitors are drawing their salary from the sport. Organized groups of paid slingers is the focus of this thread.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

thabaill
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 5:49pm

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #18 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 8:32pm

The first is an Indian policeman slinging against demonstrators, which I posted a while back (from Washington Post, I think)

The second is v. interesting: Moorish legionaries practicing slinging ? NB they're in fig.-8 starting position !

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 7:21am

what's the date on those spanish grenadiers ?

I've always said the sling is the perfect delivery system for small grenades Smiley
Given the power of modern explosives you could deliver a pretty effective shrapnel grenade under a pound in weight with no problem.

Totally silent delevery, pretty accurate 100 plus yard range and the launcher fits in your pocket.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 3:01am

That photo with the spanish troops is really cool! Good to see such rare photos,thanks for sharing.Agreed C_A,don't know why it was so rare...guess they've quite forgotten about the sling.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 7:27am

I gues the biggest problem with sling based grenade delivery is the timing of the fuses.

But with modern electronics I reckon you could rig an internal accelerometer (like the ones if wii controllers - cheap enough) to only arm the fuse when the grenade reached a set velocity that could only be produced by sling release.

Or use the same accelerometer as an impact fuse.

If I ever win the lottery - I'm building a serious ordnance range for exotic sling ammo Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

thabaill
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 9:51am

Hello

I am not sure, but I think that the date of the picture could be early 20th Century.

Have you seen this?

http://www.nodo50.org/despage/Nuestra%20Historia/guerra%20civil/bombas%20con%20h...

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #23 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 1:05pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 18th, 2011 at 7:27am:
I gues the biggest problem with sling based grenade delivery is the timing of the fuses.

But with modern electronics I reckon you could rig an internal accelerometer (like the ones if wii controllers - cheap enough) to only arm the fuse when the grenade reached a set velocity that could only be produced by sling release.

Or use the same accelerometer as an impact fuse.

If I ever win the lottery - I'm building a serious ordnance range for exotic sling ammo Smiley  

Fuse timing has been a problem for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #24 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 9:16pm

Arkansas, 2011 AD.  However, he also acts and sells slings.  He clearly gets paid to sling, at least indirectly from sales he gets after demonstrating slinging.  Reference: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1312927906  He seems pretty organized, but alas he is not a group. Wink Grin Tongue

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

Arturo Delen
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 2:06am

What is the requirement for being a professional slinger?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #26 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 2:23am

Being paid to sling?

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #27 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 12:06pm

yep the definition of 'professional' is someone who is paid for their services.

IP Logged

Wiegieboard
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 6:54pm

Technically I guess that David on here is a current professional slinger?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #29 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 11:39pm

I think he qualifies.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)