Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any tips for a just starting slinger? (Read 2355 times)
Conteruse

Slinging Rocks!

Kingsport, TN
Any tips for a just starting slinger?
Feb 17th, 2010 at 8:22pm

If you read the Intro's you'll see I'm very new to slinging. And I know there are many threads like this, but thought I'd try my luck so if anyone wants to help out a beginer or two drop a line. Any tips are very much appreciated! Oh, and Im currently using a leather and para-cord sling (just for a prefrence!) Thanks, to all who help! Cheesy

"Good authors too who once knew better words, &&Now only use four letter words &&Writing prose, Anything Goes"&& -Cole Porter, 'Anything Goes'&&&&There is a war on! How is it that you are heading West!&&Well we face North, then real sudden like we turn left.&&&&Si non oscillas, Nolite tintinare.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Re: Any tips for a just starting slinger?
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 8:27pm

focus on getting the motions down, and don't worry about putting power behind your throws

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 10:03pm

The lads(and lassies Smiley) put this together.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1260271797

Open this in a tab and then just cruise through the how-to and video stuff.You'll figure it out.

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:39am

i have to agree with the Dog. mechanics first, consistency second, accuracy third, and power last. mess around with several styles until you find the one that suits you best. and, welcome to the forum! Wink

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 12:20pm

Start with soft ammo like tennis balls balled up socks with a litte rice in the toe [as socks are to light to fly well on there own] and tape to hold it in a ball pine cones also balls of news paper with a few rubber bands around it to keep it in a ball works well these will help get the styles down but are not likely to break something if u miss or have a wild shoot [u will have many of these just starting] the lighter ammo also helps u start slow as u dont have the weight pulling on your hand to make u want to try for a harder faster throw and as othere have siad start very slow with a style u like speed accuracy and power will come in time hope this helps u and have fun slinging Grin

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

Conteruse

Slinging Rocks!

Kingsport, TN
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 4:12pm

Thanks for all the replies! And thanks for the tips and the link to vids. I've already started to try some styles but haven't found one just yet, but I'm looking!

"Good authors too who once knew better words, &&Now only use four letter words &&Writing prose, Anything Goes"&& -Cole Porter, 'Anything Goes'&&&&There is a war on! How is it that you are heading West!&&Well we face North, then real sudden like we turn left.&&&&Si non oscillas, Nolite tintinare.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 4:33pm

Also your preference for style will probably alter as you get more experience. Initially you may find underarm the easiest style, however once you have mastered that you may wish to try Fig.8 or other style which are harder to learn but give better performance.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:39pm

Paleoarts wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:39am:
i have to agree with the Dog. mechanics first, consistency second, accuracy third, and power last. mess around with several styles until you find the one that suits you best. and, welcome to the forum! Wink

Most definitely this.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:00pm

Be sure to check out some of these awesome videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PyN2MnBOzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWHV2WYdfTI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc_rAly4oLY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELYea2UDfeY&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72cIgoZ7wNU

There will be many, many more as you play any one of these and then see all the related videos that appear at the side.

Welcome and enjoy!

Cords, pouch, stone, and time -&&Today, just as yesterday,&&Ages stand as one.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 9:25am

Definately stick with tennis ball for a while. Experimant alot until you find something that feels good and just practice.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:50pm

Paleoarts wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:39am:

Hi and welcome, Conteruse;
    I also agree with Paleoarts.  In fact, all of the advice given so far I believe is very good.  Do experiment with different styles. 
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with the type of sling that you're using now.  Many of our members prefer it, but I would say to experiment with sling types also.  Try a Rockman, pj, Cobra, etc..  You may find one of them more to your liking. 
    Check out Aussie's   "FAQ and Sling Making Tutorial Threads" above.  You'll find very clear instructions on how to make many different sling types.  Also there's much great info about slinging and sling making on youtube. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)