What if (Read 6115 times)
Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: What if
Reply #15 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 8:49pm

Interesting conversation,but where did he go?

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #16 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 11:25pm

We just had a bad spammer, so I think he was an unexpected casualty. Funny name+low post count=banned

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #17 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:36am

i gotta agree with David. having turned multiple people on to the sling, i can say with some degree of accuracy that it doesn't take much training to get people to hurl in a general direction, a couple of hours at most. now, to hit individual targets? that depends on the person, but i think with intense training and practice, a couple of weeks at most.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 5:24pm

Rat Man wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 6:38pm:
I agree very much, Jaegoor.  Last summer some of my neighbors observed a friend and I using a staff sling.  They were very interested and wanted to try it.  Though neither of them had ever used any kind of sling before, their first shots each were pretty good, blasting off into the woods.  If you gave your 50 young healthy males staff slings you'd be way ahead of the game.

I know it's been discussed before but it amazes me that staff slingers don't appear to have been used much in open warfare. A company of staffslingers could stand quite close together and operating as two man teams, with a slinger and a loader, could deliver deadly and rapid fire, and all with minimal training time.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #19 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:45pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 5:24pm:
Rat Man wrote on Feb 17th, 2010 at 6:38pm:
I agree very much, Jaegoor.  Last summer some of my neighbors observed a friend and I using a staff sling.  They were very interested and wanted to try it.  Though neither of them had ever used any kind of sling before, their first shots each were pretty good, blasting off into the woods.  If you gave your 50 young healthy males staff slings you'd be way ahead of the game.

I know it's been discussed before but it amazes me that staff slingers don't appear to have been used much in open warfare. A company of staffslingers could stand quite close together and operating as two man teams, with a slinger and a loader, could deliver deadly and rapid fire, and all with minimal training time.

Also agreed. Staff slings are easy-peasy and you can throw ludicrously large weights.

They seem to feature in Medieval sieges but not in formal armies, presumably other weapons/users were better and available for the same cost.

IP Logged

bernardz
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:30am

Clearly the training required is a major problem for this weapon system.

What I am looking for is people that can throw a reasonable stone 100 yards and have a good chance of hitting someone. I noticed some interesting forum topic on this subject quoting about a 22% hit rate.

My medieval captain has 50 pupils.

I look at the poll, on the first day he has 2 people that can make the distance.
By the week's end, he has 13 people.
By the end of the month he has 22 people.

So he sacks the failures and takes another batch of trainees and starts again. By the end of three months, he would have his 50 slingers. The captain would be probably more efficient than that as some he would probably sack immediately.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 7:15am

IP Logged

Slinger93
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 8:13am

Thearos wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 7:15am:

Nice staff sling shot... and Atlatl throw Shocked

"Ja pierdolę" - tymi słowami rozpoczynam każdy dzień...

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #23 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 8:14am

Tell that to the guy who gets hit with the thing. But the size of stone v. accurate. Did Mesoamericans use staff slings ? Alas, the slinger later in the scene actually lets go of the sling.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick)