Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Primitive Atlatl Dart Components (Read 6729 times)
Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Primitive Atlatl Dart Components
Feb 11th, 2010 at 5:30pm

i've been getting gear together for the 'Valley of Fire' gathering next month and was putting together some darts so i decided to shoot some pics and give those just starting out some idea of what one type of 'primitive' dart consists of. this particular dart is for my Minotaur line of atlatls but can also be used with a 'basket maker' or 'ozark bluff' as well. the main shaft is river cane (Arundo Donax), 55" long and roughly 1/2" in diameter. the foreshaft is ash scarf jointed onto an antler point using PPG and deer sinew, total exposed length 14". the fletchings are wild turkey secured with artificial sinew (the only man made material i used).
i'm calling these target darts, but this type of point was fairly common among many ancient cultures for hunting purposes. antler is a very durable substance that can withstand some heavy impacts without breaking. the slim conical shape allows for very deep penetration. if you'll notice, there is a slight bulge to the point. this helps prevent the sinew binding from catching on the edge of the wound.
the base of the foreshaft is tapered and the inside of the mainshaft is reverse tapered to match. with the binding on the mainshaft, this creates an astonishingly tight and durable joint. in fact, the more you use it, the stronger it gets.
the fletchings are 8" long with 1/2" of quill covered at each end for a total of 9" and spiral wrapped in a counter-clockwise direction. the exposed shank at the rear is 2 1/2". the knock is the natural depression created by cutting just above a node (or joint) of the river cane. you'll notice that the mainshaft isn't perfectly straight. unlike arrows, darts don't suffer any ill effects from a little crookedness. as long as they are the right spine and balanced, they will work properly.
and, finally, the finished dart. 5'9" total and ready for action! i tested this guy out today and buried it 18" deep into 1" of foam core and wet compacted hay bales from 25 yards. the dart and tip held up perfectly.

Chris

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Re: Primitive Atlatl Dart Components
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 10:36pm

lovely as always

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Throwin' sticks and stones.

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 11:06pm

Wow, nice work. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to tip my maple darts that I just fletched. Don't know if I want to just put a point on em' directly or drill em' for a foreshaft. Don't want to mess em' up so I'm taking my time so I can figure it out.  Wink

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:13am

thanks, fellas.

frank, if you plan on using steel field points, then i say just glue them on. but, if you want stone or bone points then go ahead and knock up some foreshafts. that way, if you break a tip, it's easier to replace. now, if you use antler like i did here then you can scarf joint them directly to your hardwood shafts. they're durable enough to stand up to heavy use and the scarf joint is fairly easy to replace if and when they do break. the only reason i used foreshafts with these was that i used cane which sucks for direct hafting.

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 8:48am

I was thinking about making up some tips using copper pipe with the reducer and a large nail point. I saw it somewhere, maybe it was here, on making em' up. Looks like a big glue on field point.  Just have to solder it all together then glue em' on.  Wink

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 9:21am

Hi,

likes me very well.

Have you thrown him already on an aim??

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 11:54am

Frank, yeah, that's called a Fiddler field point after one of the members over on Paleoplanet. David Morningstar probably has the link for you on how to construct them. i use 160g archery field points and just taper my ash shafts to fit them. so far they work great, but from what i understand the Fiddler points are near indestructable.

Jaegoor, thank you. and yes, i threw this dart many times yesterday and it worked very well.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 12:42pm

This is one of my Fiddler points, very dirty after much chucking. Its a 15mm to 10mm copper reducer with a 10mm steel round bar point.  I use an angle grider for the steel, I tried a hacksaw and gave up! The whole thing is just epoxied together.

This is Fiddlers original design: http://www.primitiveways.com/field_points_for_atlatl.html

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:05pm

Yep, that's the ones David. I bookmarked it for future ref. Thanks

IP Logged

Duck
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:07pm

Nice kit.  What is `The valley of fire ?

The duck

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 3:23pm

Duck wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:07pm:
Nice kit.  What is `The valley of fire ?

The duck

it's a meet up for paleo-primitive fans over here in america in a place nicknamed the valley of fire. forget which national park, but on the northwestern coast i think.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 4:53pm

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)