Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hedeby Artifact Picture (Read 9783 times)
winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Hedeby Artifact Picture
Feb 2nd, 2010 at 8:57pm

I'm teaching a class on the Medieval Sling this weekend. I googled Hedeby Sling and went to images and found this forum

http://www.aarhus-middelalder.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3877&sid=e734a9bf13d287a0...

There was a post by forumite Mikkel and it showed the actual Hedeby artifact. (Course it looks like the forum is in Swedish ??)

Actuall Pic is
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z111/MickeDahlstrom/Slunga.jpg

Anybody feel like a quick translation from Swedish to English??? Or whatever this language is to English???

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Hedeby Artifact Picture
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 5:27am

It' a sling pouch Smiley
What's more it's been attached with loops !
Some sensible oldtime swedes there Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 8:22am

Very good find! I have passed it onto our local Viking group, they are working up to including slinging in their demonstrations.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:24am

How do you attach the pouch to the cords ? (no holes in pouch ?)
Why is the pouch slit into strips ?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 1:18pm

This artifact dates from the 8th century, Just becase we can't see them in this ( Less than Optimum) pic doesn't mean they are not there. Slingbadger has the opinion that maybe a pebble was placed in the tab and the cords wraped around that and tied.

From working with My replica the strips cause the pouch to mold to the projectile better. It's another way of getting a cup like pouch

Marc Adkins

Thearos wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:24am:
How do you attach the pouch to the cords ? (no holes in pouch ?)
Why is the pouch slit into strips ?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:30pm

Winkleried, I did a fast translation, to see if i could.  Swedish to English it is
Slings
Among the distance weapons goes, beside the crossbow, hand bow and firearms, also the slings.  Six slings, so called band slings, has been found on Helgelandsholmen.  A band sling consisted of part by a sling cup, the pouch where the projectile was placed, and part by two bands or straps, which was attached to the sling cup.  The length of the straps varied during the history.  The length was also depending on the strength and ability of the user.

One of the straps had a loop.  When throwing, the thrower, if right handed, placed the loop over one or more fingers of the right hand, usually the middle and/or the ring finger.At the same time he pinches the other strap between his thumb and index finger in such a way that he can let go of it fast.  The left hand grabs the sling cup.  The arms are lifted so that the left hand with the sling cup and the projectile is in front of the head and the right hand with the strap ends is behind.  The sling is stretched out, and the right hand begins to turn in an an horizontal movement, while at the same time the other hand drops the sling cup.  When the slinger gets the speed up,he releases the loop-less strap, right when the projectile is poised to fly toward the target.  The difficulty in the throw is to to decide when the right moment comes.
To be continued...
timann

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:37pm

Thats great!  Cool

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:41pm

David Morningstar wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:37pm:
Thats great!  Cool

Well done timann!

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:56pm

The slings from Helgelandsholmen are between 13 and 21 cm long and 5,5 and 8,5 cm wide.  Their shape is either a drawn-out ovoid or rhomboid, and the ends has holes cut out for the straps, which has in no case been found.
The straps has, at least on one sling, been secured by a whipping laid outside the straps knot to the sling cup(fig 240).
The sling cup has been given slits or (in one case) a hole, to make the projectile stay in place, this construction was used during the middle ages and can be confirmed in ethnographic material. 
The found slings gives a coarse and not particularly well made impression.  They do not need to have been weapons of war, but might as well have been made for keeping vermin off cabbage fields and gardens, for hunting or as a toy.
The sling was as a weapon associated with low social status.  This, in combination with the need for the slinger to be agile and usually not in contact with the enemy,  meant he usually lacked heavy body protection.
The projectile could be natural or worked stone, molded lead projectiles incendiaries of different kind.  Well into the 1500s the sling was used for this, by throwing grenades.  By then a more effective type was used, the so called staff sling, principally a band sling attached to a staff, which increased the arms throwing capacity.

timann

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 7:38pm

Those are large pouches. I wonder if they were sling staffs?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 6:37pm

Could be. Another possibility is that they were trying to get more bang per swing. Lose range quickly but ya dang sure don't wanna be the impact target. Two examples of this are the oversized pouches used by the palestinian Infatadah slingers, and if ya read Sr. Santiagos article about the Manchegan Sling, the original used a 17 cm split pouch.

Next weekend if I get some spare time I might make one with the reported dimensions and let you folks know how it handled.

Marc Adkins

slingbadger wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 7:38pm:

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 10:17am

Why does a big pouch hit harder ? More "whang" on release ? (to use a technical term)

yes I too noticed the v. long, rectangular pouches of the Palestinian sling-fighters. There must be a reason-- these are slings fired in anger

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 11:43am

Thearos wrote on Feb 6th, 2010 at 10:17am:
Why does a big pouch hit harder ? More "whang" on release ? (to use a technical term)

yes I too noticed the v. long, rectangular pouches of the Palestinian sling-fighters. There must be a reason-- these are slings fired in anger

because you can put larger ammo in larger pouch? Smiley

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 12:22pm

yes, that makes sense

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:16am

I measured my replica. It's the one with the dyed jutte cords. The pouch was 14.5 cm long and 5.5 cm wide. Don't have one in the larger size though. the one I have still works good as a hand sling.

Marc Adkins

winkleried wrote on Feb 5th, 2010 at 6:37pm:
Could be. Another possibility is that they were trying to get more bang per swing. Lose range quickly but ya dang sure don't wanna be the impact target. Two examples of this are the oversized pouches used by the palestinian Infatadah slingers, and if ya read Sr. Santiagos article about the Manchegan Sling, the original used a 17 cm split pouch.

Next weekend if I get some spare time I might make one with the reported dimensions and let you folks know how it handled.

Marc Adkins

slingbadger wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 7:38pm:

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)