Question for archers (Read 4098 times)
dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Question for archers
Feb 1st, 2010 at 10:23pm

I was always taught to draw a bow using the tips of my first three fingers with the arrow between the first and second. I keep seeing video of people drawing a bow with the the arrow or string pinched between the thumb and first knuckle on the first finger.

Whats the difference and is one better than the other.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Question for archers
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:47am

There are 3 ways to shoot. European (your way), Asian (pull string with thumb while arrow rests between index and middle fingers), and "Primitive" (pinch arrow between fingers, use arrow to pull back string). Mostly you will learn of the first 2 depending on where you were born. They have the most power, and "Primitive" is call that because both European Archery and Asian Archery evolved from this style. Generally it has less power than Asian and European. Some people claim Asian is more powerful or faster than European, but they are generally the same. "Primitive is easier to learn initially however, and some self-taught archers intuitively use this method. I have no idea if it is practiced normally by any peoples like European or Asian style are.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Fx 2000
Descens

Zielst Du noch, oder triffst
Du schon?

Karlsruhe Germany
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 6:08am

Hallo Dork,

when you started with european styl, it can be difficult to change to asian styl, for example the arrow is on the other side os the string, besause you release the string to different sites. Japanese use special leather gloves for release, chinese, korean and mongole people use thumb rings made from jade, brass, silver leather, bone ore horn. If you use a long bow the angle of the string is big enouh to use three fingers, if you use a verry short bow like an korean ore osmanian horsbow, you have a verry small angle at the string if you draw out the bow, here the thumb style is better. Normaly you can say if the stretched(?) bow is shorter than 42"  at an draw length than 28", its better to use the thumb style ore use a release. I am not good enough to use the thumb style and with 123# on 30" draw length and a bow length of 45", the thumb style is verry painful, so I use three finger. On the of me and my bow you can see one of the prolems: The arrow curved by the pressure of the fingers. The arrow isnt drawn full length.

Greetings Michel

Bo_1.jpg (86 KB | )
Bo_1.jpg

The brain is a fantastic thing, if you use it.&&Früher war ich klein und gemein, heute bin ich größer und böser.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 7:06am

The thumb ring in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81H-V1_gGo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iTYaxCjBfg

The thumb holds the string and the index finger holds down the thumb.

The arrow must pass on the same side of the bow as your thumb is pointing to, since the string jumps to that side as it is released by the shooter. When shooting with the three finger 'Mediterranean release' the arrow passes on the same side that your fingers are pointing to, for the same reason.

The arrow-pinch release was almost universal for Native American archery. Their arrows were often widened at the nock end to help with holding it back securely. You can also use the middle and ring fingers on the bowstring for extra pull.

You can see this here demonstrated by a Brazilian indigenous archer:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rikbaksta_indian_archer.jpeg

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 7:42am

I use something like this:
To reduce wear on the bowstring, I have one of these on.

IP Logged

Fx 2000
Descens

Zielst Du noch, oder triffst
Du schon?

Karlsruhe Germany
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 7:55am

Good for compound, but for a wood ore horn bow a breach of style  Angry horrible  Wink

Michel

The brain is a fantastic thing, if you use it.&&Früher war ich klein und gemein, heute bin ich größer und böser.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 11:43am

In my youth my friends, family and I was primitive pinch release archers.  Three finger release, I remember seeing pictures of it, and discussing it, but we could never comprehend it.

But, I know how to do it now Smiley

That thumb thing?  No!
timann

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:42pm

Fx 2000 wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 7:55am:
Good for compound, but for a wood ore horn bow a breach of style  Angry horrible  Wink

Michel
For you pinch release primitives a method to draw a heavier weight bow.
Coolhttp://www.second-opinions.co.uk/flight-flipper.html Cool  
Primitive mechanical release. Looks good with stick/horn bow.

Slow second shot; but you can pull some weight and anchor
long enough for a good sight picture

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 2:45pm

Mechanical releases and thumb rings are both used for much the same reason...Short bows.   Short bows (such as the composite bows favored by Asians) result in an extreme string angle at full draw, which means pinched fingers if you use the three-fingered approach.

Longbows have a rather gentle string angle at full draw, so the three-fingered draw is comfortable.

A lot of primitive archers that use the pinch-grip modify their arrows, using a swelling or grooves at the nock end to make it easier to hold on to.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:08pm

i'm a snap/instinct shooter and have always used a somewhat longer bow so the three finger release is the one i prefer, but i suggest you use whatever feels more comfortable and gets results.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 10:28pm

Steven wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:42pm:
Fx 2000 wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 7:55am:
Good for compound, but for a wood ore horn bow a breach of style  Angry horrible  Wink

Michel
For you pinch release primitives a method to draw a heavier weight bow.
Coolhttp://www.second-opinions.co.uk/flight-flipper.html Cool  
Primitive mechanical release. Looks good with stick/horn bow.

Slow second shot; but you can pull some weight and anchor
long enough for a good sight picture

Why do you need three flap things?

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 11:57am

Et Cetera wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 10:28pm:
Why do you need three flap things?

Provide more mechanical advantage to help prevent string and tab creep while holding drawn bow.
Less pinch pressure required.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)