Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crusaders hurling darts from a sling? (Read 7453 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Crusaders hurling darts from a sling?
Feb 1st, 2010 at 12:38pm

This surprised the heck out of me:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=TLkKH6WVVRMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=crusades+...

Can the author be confusing slings with crossbows somehow?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Crusaders hurling darts from a sling?
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 12:47pm

http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/bayeux_tapestry/sect7_9.html

Quote:
The original Latin used to describe "crossbows" could be rendered perhaps to indicate slings and stones instead.

Okay, confusion over. Its a crossbow Smiley Any ideas what this latin problem might be?

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 7:36am

David, I came across the chronicle in another context. The original text is the Itinerarium peregrinorum et gesta Regis Ricardi, probably written or compiled by a monk at the end of the 12th century (very close to the events described).

The Latin text can be found in the Gallica database http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k50246v.r=Itinerarium+regis+ricardi

It seems to me that the translator into English in the 19th century interpreted the Latin word "ballista" with "sling" every time, no matter if it made sense or not. Hence the passage with Richard the Lionheart using a "sling" with arrows which later turns out to be an arbalest. Obviously, the word ballista in the Latin original text is mostly used for the crossbow (arcuballista), maybe also for small siege engines, but probably not for the sling.

It would be interesting, though, to scan through the original to find if the "real" sling, funda, is also mentioned. There are many combat and siege scenes described.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2010 at 2:11pm

Ah, the slings and arrows of outrageous mistranslation! BTW, an arcuballista, modern arbalest, is like a really big crossbow on wheels.

Thom

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 9:37am

of course, nowadays Crusaders use these...

... but I'm sure they're held together with bits of string, sometimes Wink

IP Logged

maad erllin
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 7:34am

Persians were hurling darts called "Cestrophendone" with slings during the Macedonian war. Tite-Live and Polyb. wrote on it.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 2:49pm

maad erllin wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 7:34am:
Persians were hurling darts called "Cestrophendone" with slings during the Macedonian war. Tite-Live and Polyb. wrote on it.

We have discussions on the cestros going back ages, I think the question is whether or not the crusaders used something similar.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

maad erllin
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 4:52pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Oct 21st, 2010 at 2:49pm:
We have discussions on the cestros going back ages, I think the question is whether or not the crusaders used something similar.

Well Sorry Tongue I wasn't there going back ages, and I thought it could still give an hint. My bad

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 6:52pm

It's alright, you don't have to apologize. You have nothing to apologize for, except being helpful. I'm just trying to be helpful too. But you should check out that discussion I linked, it talks about two competing recreations of the cestros sling which is fascinating if you're a history junkie like me.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

maad erllin
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 6:54pm

Aaaoh! There was a link! I haven't noticed XD

Thanks a lot, I'll have a look at that

And yes, I'm a history junkie... Bachelor studies in it Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 7:11pm

Here's the thread that has the alternative cestros. Sorry for hijacking this thread D_M.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 4:29pm

It was my understanding that the Crusaders would not have used such a base weapon. There were a bunch of mercenaries on their side called the Tafurs that were deadly accurate with them.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris)