Send Topic Print
More slinging videos (Read 3567 times)
Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
More slinging videos
Jan 30th, 2010 at 3:49pm

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: More slinging videos
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 4:19pm

The first one is excellent, Berbers in Morocco:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imilchil

Good find!

The second Berber, for his last shot, if you time him from when he starts to reload it only takes him five seconds to shoot again, and this is taking ammo randomly off the ground!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 6:58pm

I agree with DM-- the second Berber has a fluid, beautiful reloading movement. They don't care much, either, about style or axes of rotation-- they spin, they shoot. They share a characteristic with the slingers on the videos of Palestinians slinging against Israeli army or border police: the leisurely windups, and the sudden, snappy acceleration putting real strength into the shot.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 9:08pm

Can anyone see what they're actually shooting at, or are they just movin' rocks? The camera appears to have a slow frame rate so the release is hard to follow. Afraid that the reloading may be fairly quick but the slinging technique is somewhat sloppy. Especially the first guy, who cranks the sling around behind his back in fairly large uncoordinated movements.

On the plus side, it's impressive how quickly they transfer the sling from one guy to the other. I couldn't do it as my retention loop is quite snug on my finger and take some time to pull it off.

I am often bemused by slingers who hold their right arm up looking like the Statue of Liberty and try to load a free swinging pouch with their left hand. No wonder it takes so long. I find the easiest reloading sequence is to grasp the retention cord with the left hand and run it through your fingers until you are holding the pouch. Now the right hand is free to do the actual reloading. Once the projectile is in the pouch, close your left hand around the pouch holding both it and the projectile inside. Now grasp the release cord near the pouch, with your right hand and and run it through your fingers until the release knot is between your thumb and forefinger and you should be ready to commence your next shot. This is actually the technique employed by the second slinger.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 1:22am

I think they're just chucking for distance.

Actually Aussie, that's the exact loading sequence I use. What I like the most about it is the fact that if your sling is braided, then by pinching on the flat part of the braid, you can untwist the braid at the same time.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 1:59am

An additional benefit I wasn't aware of as all my slings are from comercially available cord. Even they tend to windup a bit but only have to be unwound after several shots.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 6:40am

That how I do it, after learning it here: http://www.zinfinium.net/index.php?id=157

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:07am

That is the technique I use as well. But, isn't the fastest way to reload apparently only using your offhand to catch the pouch, while having a projectile in it, load it using only that hand and then catch the release cord with your throwing hand?  I've tried this and it is very difficult to load with one hand quickly, unless ammo which is very uniform is used.

John R.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 6:19pm

IronGoober wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:07am:
That is the technique I use as well. But, isn't the fastest way to reload apparently only using your offhand to catch the pouch, while having a projectile in it, load it using only that hand and then catch the release cord with your throwing hand?  I've tried this and it is very difficult to load with one hand quickly, unless ammo which is very uniform is used.

Thats how I do it only I don't catch the pouch. I lift my right arm and bring the pouch to my left hand; place the rock against the pouch using my palm with fingers on the other side (bottom) of the pouch and then grab the retlease cord between my right thumb and index finger; slide my right hand back until I hit the release knot. Left hand is holding the pouch. Right hand is ready to sling. Takes just a few seconds especially when you keep some ammo in your left coat pocket.  Wink

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Crazy_Viking
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Southern Alberta
Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 11:51pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELYea2UDfeY&feature=related

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I just found this clip of an Ancient Discoveries episode..

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt."&&("When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.")&&
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 7:12am

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELYea2UDfeY&feature=related

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I just found this clip of an Ancient Discoveries episode..

Thats Luis Livermore, he sometimes posts here  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick)