Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Portable Balearic Target - sort of (Read 7179 times)
4accord
Descens

Portable Balearic Target - sort of
Jan 18th, 2010 at 6:37pm

There's been a lot of discussion about standardizing targets so that the world of slingers can get a better sense of realistic expectations about accuracy and also perhaps have some friendly competitions.  I have been looking at how to develop a lightweight and portable target that approximates the standard 1.2 meter square target described by Vicente at:
http://slinging.org/index.php?page=balearic-sling-competitions---vicente  

Of course, if you have a truck or a big back yard, you could make one exactly as shown and have at it.  But some of us apartment dwellers who drive Smart Cars and the like would have trouble with a full size wooden contraption with a gong.  So, I went to Home Depot (any building supply store would do) and bought a few things, cobbled them together, and went out to test it.  Jan 18 will long live in my memory as a quantum leap in my understanding of the sling - and lessons in humility.

First, the target: just buy two 10-foot lengths of 3/4-inch PVC pipe, preferably the heavier of the two standard weights (PVC conduit is also acceptable), and 4 PVC elbows for connectors (cement is not required).  This is very cheap stuff, by the way - we're probably still under $4.  Get some rope, wire, or bungee cords for hanging it from something, and you are good to go.

Cut the PVC into four 45-inch lengths, add the elbows to connect them, and you'll have a square frame that approximates Vicente's target (the elbows add length, so the frame ends up about 47.2 inches which is exactly 1.2 meters).  You can cover it with fabric or tarp material, but you don't have to, and you can make a tripod to give it height, but that is also optional.  You can also hang it from a tree - or the outside of a tennis court fence, as I did.  Measure your distances of 64 and 96 feet, and you're ready to shoot.

Lessons learned: it is WAY different throwing at an elevated target than a bucket on the ground.  And a lot of skill goes out the window if you change from a habitual throwing distance.  I did really badly!  But now I know what to expect BEFORE I get to Mallorca and make a fool of myself in the Balearic Islands.  Practice, here I come!
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2010 at 7:54am by 4accord »  

IMG_1427.jpg (64 KB | )
IMG_1427.jpg

Cords, pouch, stone, and time -&&Today, just as yesterday,&&Ages stand as one.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Portable Balearic Target - sort of
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 7:06pm

It would be nice if you could include a photo, helps visualization.

BTW,  your comment about it being different to sling at an elevated target has been my experience also. I find it quite a bit harder to hit a target on the ground at 10 m than the same target at head height. I guess it's largely a matter of what you're used to.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 6:45am

Nice one Smiley
Yeah pics please.

I've built two very different types of balearic target - neither is particularly man portable.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 7:56am

Above, in my previous posting, I added a picture of the materials required - again, the tarp is optional but can be used to cover the frame, if you wish.  Makes a nice smack sound when you hit it.  It can be folded over and secured in the back, as illustrated in another picture (below), using the tarp grommets and bungee cords or rope.  The 5.5 feet x 7.5 size turned out to be perfect.  Would not recommend larger.  I now attach a picture of the finished frame.  If you wanted, you could add a 50 cm circle of plywood for the center gong, but that just adds work and weight.  It is easy enough to see where the projectile goes (assuming you are using a tennis ball, like they do in the Ballearic competitions now); you can thus mentally decide if you would have hit the gong and gotten the extra point or two.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2010 at 7:09pm by 4accord »  

IMG_1434.jpg (56 KB | )
IMG_1434.jpg

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 1:08pm

Thanks for this thread.  I've been wanting to make one but haven't been sure where to start. 

Thanks to you, I'll take the lazy route and sit back and learn from your mistakes and triumphs instead of making my own. Smiley

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 1:55pm

IŽll make one of this someday.

Preserving the sling, mankindŽs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 3:30pm

picture of it it in situ would be good too.

You don't have to use a plywood disc - just finda large cardboard box, cut 2 18 inch circles, glue them together and hang in the centre of the target Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 6:58pm

Here's a photo of the frame set with the center at 63 inches.  It's simply hanging from a couple of short bungee cords.

IMG_1451.jpg (40 KB | )
IMG_1451.jpg

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 6:59pm

Here's the frame covered with a tarp (5.5 x 7.5 feet), which is simply folded over and secured in the back with bungee cords, as will be shown in another picture.

IMG_1454.jpg (64 KB | )
IMG_1454.jpg

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 7:05pm

This photo shows how the bungee cords are used to hold the tarp to the frame.  The use of bungees allows easy dismantling for travel.  Note that the smallest bungees generally available are 12-inches (and I used two). These are too long "as issued."  To shorten them, I just pulled the cord through the hook part and tied a knot in it - very easy.  The longer cord is a 24-inch.

IMG_1453.jpg (61 KB | )
IMG_1453.jpg

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 4:23am

Great idea, 4accord! Thanks!

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 7:49am

How does it hold up? Have you hit the PVC pipe yet?

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 8:41am

Yes, I've hit it a few times - but am only using tennis balls and the heavier Chuckits, and they lose a lot of momentum by the time they cover the 64 and 96-foot distances.  If, worst case scenario, the PVC were damaged (which is unlikely unless you use rocks), it's such cheap stuff, it would hardly matter.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 1:26pm

Good stuff. Thanks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 2:01pm

if you're hitting that at 96 feet - I'm impressed Smiley
lot harder than it sounds.

Try hanging a cardboard disv in the centre, should be easy enough.

Like the idea of hanging it on a fence - very ingenious Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy)