Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gloves While Slinging? (Read 5680 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Gloves While Slinging?
Jan 11th, 2010 at 5:21pm

I worked for our cable TV company for fifteen winters outside.  Some guys could work while wearing gloves, but I never could.  It's the same with slinging.  Does anyone wear gloves while slinging?  If so, do you have a special sling with a wider fingerloop for such occasions?  For some reason I think everyone will say no, but the question is asked.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Re: Gloves While Slinging?
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 5:43pm

I did a few throws with leather gloves yesterday (snowballs), and they flew better than I had thought. The finger loops on my slings are always quite wide, so that was not a problem. Yet I think that slinging bare-handed gives you a better feeling for the whole process. But that might just be a matter of not being used to wearing gloves while using the sling.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 5:58pm

I've been using the cheap cotton Jersey gloves that are about a buck a pair.  It might be affecting my accuracy a little, but they're not bad.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 7:02pm

Must admit I've never tried it but I can't imagine it would be very successful. You'd lose all your feel and totally mess up your release.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 7:15pm

Ive never done it, id rather freeze my hand for a bit than use em. i think its more fun to feel it directly in my hands and watch the rock fly, than indirectly with gloves, plus i dont want to make larger fingerloops

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 7:15pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 11th, 2010 at 7:02pm:
Must admit I've never tried it but I can't imagine it would be very successful. You'd lose all your feel and totally mess up your release.

It's a trade off.  It's been below freezing the last two weeks.  I've slung in 15 degree wheather.  The trade off comes with numbed, cold fingers or warm fingers with a little clothe.

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2010 at 7:53pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 11th, 2010 at 7:02pm:

Just tried this out of pure curiosity, wearing medium weight leather firies gloves (as worn by aussie volunteer firefighters, good gear, finely cut and well fitting with the elasticated bit at the wrist to stop embers getting in) and it works fine, can still feel everything really. Then again I wore the same gloves for ages while doing fiddly and delicate nursery tasks, operating various kinds of fiddly equipment , grafting on the fly etc so maybe it depend on how well you have worn-in the gloves.

Most of my R loops are made to go over my middle and ring fingers, with gloves on it just fits the middle finger, works out well.

Welding gauntlets that weigh a tonne or cheapie chunky things from bunnings might not be the best choice.  Grin But as you can see in the pic, with gloves that actually fit you it's actually not too different from bare hands at all.

P3190189.JPG (18 KB | )
P3190189.JPG

IP Logged

Snarfblat
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 7:34am

I wear light gloves occasionally.  You might want to try a wrist loop, with an index knot on the captive cord.

IP Logged

Mardonius
Tiro

As David smote Goliath,
I shall smite my enemies.

Watertown, NY
Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 9:05am

I wear gloves just about all the time.  Maybe it is my release force but I find it necessary. And the only times I don't are when I am only going to shoot for a short while.  Reason is that if I don't wear gloves I will soon take the skin off my fingers from where the sling ropes bit it.  Even with mutliple tapings/bandages I continue to have issues. I have tried with a golf glove and this work reasonably well (still a good idea to tape under them) with no effect on accuracy.  However, they wear out very soon on the release finger areas and I find leather standard work gloves to be better.
best
Mardonius

"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" James Madison

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 10:01am

if i'll sling for more than 15-20 releases i wear light garden glove (just the right one).

EDIT: p.s. i could never stand finger-loops, wrist loops are the way to go for me!

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 2:14pm

Mardonius wrote on Jan 12th, 2010 at 9:05am:
I wear gloves just about all the time.  Maybe it is my release force but I find it necessary. And the only times I don't are when I am only going to shoot for a short while.  Reason is that if I don't wear gloves I will soon take the skin off my fingers from where the sling ropes bit it.  Even with mutliple tapings/bandages I continue to have issues. I have tried with a golf glove and this work reasonably well (still a good idea to tape under them) with no effect on accuracy.  However, they wear out very soon on the release finger areas and I find leather standard work gloves to be better.
best
Mardonius

You must fire off some really hard shots, Mardonius.  How far can you sling, if you don't mind?

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 3:33pm

I've tried, but i just can't get over feeling blind and groping around to stick my finger into the finger loop- i depend too on my touch sense since i'm too lazy to bend over Wink

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 4:01pm

I just wear thin gloves.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Gullinbursti

Slinging Rocks!

Providence, Rhode Island - USA
Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 4:40pm

I've considered wearing gloves because I have the same problem as Mardonius. After a full afternoon of slinging, my middle finger is usually chaffed and bleeding and I'll have to wait a week or so to let it heal. I finally settled on just wrapping my middle finger in a bunch of sports tape where the retention cord rubs into the skin.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2010 at 8:51pm

A toggle might work if you don't like gloves.

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris)