BOLO (Read 29918 times)
Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Re: BOLO
Reply #45 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 8:50pm

Head smasher. (My personal favorite)

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #46 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 8:53pm

And hereīs my creation. Itīs so much easier to hit a target with the boleadora than a sling.

CAM_0053_001.JPG (109 KB | )
CAM_0053_001.JPG

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #47 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 6:59pm

grooved river stones and hand twisted hemp. 32'' folded

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

aurelio
Descens

...then, the ape stood
and took a rock.

Spain
Re: a new bolo
Reply #48 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 3:48am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:54pm:
hybrid_throwback wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:11am:
Great as always matie... nets were used a lot in my neck of the woods but not bolo's. Or is that bola?

The term is Bola, which means ball in spanish. Bolo means Bowling in Spanish, and is also a kind of men's neck wear in the US (imagine wearing a pair of bowling balls around your neck! Shocked).

The term "bola" in spanish it means any sferic thing. "Bolo" means one of ten pieces of bowling game, and the correct word for this artefact is "boleadora" or plural (+s), at least in Spain and Argentina.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #49 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 5:58pm

Boleadora specifically refers to the 3 weight variety.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #50 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 2:40pm

some of my latest...

IP Logged

rockslingerboy
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 7:13pm

Hey, I'm trying to create a bola, the grooved rock type, but I tried pecking out the grooves and other than being far too time-consuming for my liking, I ended up with a much wider groove than I wanted, due to the strikes not hitting the exact same point each time, anyone else have the same problem? So yea, just wondering how do you guys create these deep and narrow slots along the rock? I'm open to suggestions for both modern and primitive methods... Thanks guys

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #52 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 10:35am

since he's an ex-member i'm wondering if i should still answer this question. anyone else interested?

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #53 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 11:01am

Paleoarts wrote on Oct 7th, 2011 at 10:35am:
since he's an ex-member i'm wondering if i should still answer this question. anyone else interested?

I'd sure like to know, if you're still up for telling.

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

rockslingerboy2

Slinging Rocks!

Ireland
Reply #54 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 11:14am

Hey sorry it's me again (rockslingerboy), I have no idea why I was made an ex-member, since I never deactivated my account, hopefully the same thing doesn't happen to this account   Huh Yea Chris if you'd be willing to reveal the secret, I'd be really grateful, couldn't find any information about how to do it by searching online  Tongue

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #55 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 9:59pm

rockslingerboy2 wrote on Oct 7th, 2011 at 11:14am:
Hey sorry it's me again (rockslingerboy), I have no idea why I was made an ex-member, since I never deactivated my account, hopefully the same thing doesn't happen to this account   Huh Yea Chris if you'd be willing to reveal the secret, I'd be really grateful, couldn't find any information about how to do it by searching online  Tongue

Sincere apologies if I deleted your account. We are being inundated by spammers at the moment, sometimes 20 a day. Sometimes in my haste I can delete something I didn't mean to. Thanks for coming back...............Aussie

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #56 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 9:34am

welcome back, RSB2.

the truth is we don't know exactly how the ancients accomplished a lot of the things they did. all we can do is guess and try and replicate their works through trial and error. the most likely method for fine grooves in hard stone probably involved a method called indiret precussion pecking. this is where you take a chisel shaped piece of flint and haft it into an antler handle. this is then placed against your work and struck from behind with a hammer stone much like a modern steel rock chisel. the blows are much softer though and at a shallower angle and you have to do it many more times but the result will get you a fine narrow groove eventually. i make my stones with modern tools (tile saw) to save time, but i've used this method before to replicate some atlatl weights so i know it works. hope that helps.

Chris

IP Logged

rockslingerboy2

Slinging Rocks!

Ireland
Reply #57 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 3:02pm

No problem Aussie, the mistake was understandable  Cheesy

Paleoarts, thanks for your help, that improvised rock chisel sounds interesting. I wonder would flint be hard enough to chisel out grooves in the kind of rocks I'm using though (rounded basalt/granite type rocks from the beach), or would it just lose its edge in no time? The ancients probably used slightly softer rocks, sacrificing a bit of hardness/density for easier workability...

I see you mentioned a modern steel rock chisel, that'd work too I suppose? I presume you can get these at hardware stores, I'm not just up for investing in a tile saw just yet, that's one serious power tool  Grin

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #58 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 7:51pm

RSB, it is exactly the hardness of flint that makes it the preferred material for peck and grind work. you need something 'harder' than the stone you intend to groove, which flint is albeit britlle. you're not, however, using it to takes large chunks or flakes out of the granite or basalt, but rather crushing small (the head of a pin) sized patches with every blow. like i said this process is laborious to say the least, but that is exactly how it has been done by most cultures for thousands of years.

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #59 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 9:31am

I'd have guessed a square file and patience, learn something new every day.  The balls on a bola can be made of anything, they don't have to be really hard.  I'd use slate, but I'm a bit lazy and surrounded by slate.  You could put a nail through a stick and make a tiny pickaxe maybe?

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus)