Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
BOLO
Dec 29th, 2009 at 2:52pm

along with a big shipment of riendeer antler, i've also recently come across a large amount of quality deer skins (if some of you might have noticed  Tongue ) and i have been meaning to make another of these for some time. i finally got around to it today. the antler makes fantastic weights. heavy, durable, and easier to work than stone.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2010 at 11:26am by Paleoarts »  

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: a new bolo
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 3:17pm

That looks really cool. How big is it?

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 3:29pm

thanks, David. it's 32" folded so that translates to a little over 5' in flight.

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 4:46pm

I looked. I oogled. I have to say, WHAT A COOL IDEA!

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 7:17pm

Are the antlers heavy enough to do the job?
BTW, where do you get antler from??

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 7:39pm

thanks, Kjev.

badger, yes. the antler is very dense and heavy, roughly the same weight as stones of equal size. i traded an atlatl and a few darts for a large shipment of these. they are caribou (riendeer) and come in some pretty wild shapes. other suitable antler would be moose, whitetail deer, red deer, or almost any kind of ivory. elk is unsuitable because of its porous nature as would be most kinds of horn.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 10:19pm

Paleoarts, interesting the way you doubled one cord and connected the middle one. Very nice. How long would you suggest the cords should be for someone six feet tall. Similar to sling length?

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 11:57pm

thanks, Walter. i don't suggest going any longer than this one no matter what your height. anything over a 5' spread just becomes too unweildy and slow when thrown. besides, if you can't hit a target with 5' of spinning bolo, you shouldn't be playing with it! Grin

if you've never messed with these before, i suggest you make one 24" (4' open). the technique is to hold one weight and swing the other two in one or two revolutions over the head, bringing the arm wide out at the release. you have to release earlier than you would a sling. the bolo, traveling as a disk, should have its leading edge tilted up slightley.

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:11am

Great as always matie... nets were used a lot in my neck of the woods but not bolo's. Or is that bola? So I always find them interesting. made a few as a kid, always good to bring out halfway through a waterbomb fight.

Do you have to treat the antler somehow to harden or prevent it from decaying?

Nothing native here has antlers, just deer, and they taste good enough that most people don't bother with keeping sets.

You'd have been churning out a bride's worth of dowry a month, once upon a time Wink good stuff Tongue

Nicely traded, btw, always feels good to turn some sweat into some supplies hey?

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:13am

Sorry, by "thrown as a disc... leading edge tilted up..." do you mean that say the rotation of the thing describes something of a circle, aim to drop the circle over the target rather than pelt it at them side on? Aim for a high trajectory in other words?

No idea about those things! Might knock one up in a few days, got some nice roo thong in.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 11:06am

thanks, mate. yes, the rotation describes a circle, or disk, and that disks leading edge (closest to the target) should be tilted upwards slightly. no, you are not trying to 'drop it' on top of your target. for small targets aim directly at them, for large slightly lower, and for birds aim in front and above.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 3:54pm

hybrid_throwback wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:11am:
Great as always matie... nets were used a lot in my neck of the woods but not bolo's. Or is that bola?

The term is Bola, which means ball in spanish. Bolo means Bowling in Spanish, and is also a kind of men's neck wear in the US (imagine wearing a pair of bowling balls around your neck! Shocked).

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 6:52pm

Paleoarts wrote on Dec 29th, 2009 at 11:57pm:
thanks, Walter. i don't suggest going any longer than this one no matter what your height. anything over a 5' spread just becomes too unweildy and slow when thrown. besides, if you can't hit a target with 5' of spinning bolo, you shouldn't be playing with it! Grin

if you've never messed with these before, i suggest you make one 24" (4' open). the technique is to hold one weight and swing the other two in one or two revolutions over the head, bringing the arm wide out at the release. you have to release earlier than you would a sling. the bolo, traveling as a disk, should have its leading edge tilted up slightley.

Thanks for the info! I made a couple bolas (one for my son and one for myself)many years ago by putting a ball bearing in 3 leather glove finger tips. Sewed 'em up; attached about a foot and a half of cord to each and tied the other end to a rope circle. That was of course before I knew what I was doing and how to throw one. Thanks again Paleoarts!

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

echelon7
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 6:55pm

my new and first bolo.  not so primitive but works well.  lots of fun.  i took lacrosse balls and drilled them and connected the paracord to them. Lacrosse balls are not as hard as stone but they definately have the weight and could do some damage.

Try resizing your pics with photogadget before posting - CA
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2010 at 6:51pm by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #14 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 7:59pm

The Bolas I'm used to have 2 similar (but not the same) length cords and one dramatically longer cord (which is grasped during the throw) all with the same weight. From the looks of the ones here both you, paleoarts, and echelon7 used cords of all the same length. I assume you throw grasping the center of the bola? Do you have any experience with the type I described? If so, which do you prefer?

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)