Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shot molds (Read 1047 times)
Jabames
Ex Member

Shot molds
Dec 28th, 2009 at 4:59am

Does anyone have any easy ways to make bullet molds for lead or clay shot? In fact the beginning to end process?

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Re: Shot molds
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2009 at 3:01pm

I make clay glandes by hand. They are football shaped (American) and take about a minute a glande. David Morningstar also makes them by hand I believe.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2009 at 8:26pm

There have been a number of discussions about this over the years.  Here's one thread to check out:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1237337168

Have you considered buying an egg slip sinker mold?  They make them in many sizes and it seems that 1 1/2 or 2 oz might be best for slinging - and closest to what seems to be the ancient standard.  In the US, you can get them from Cabelas or Bass Pro for about $34.95 and on eBay.  You can also buy 100 finished sinkers on eBay for about $22 to $25 delivered (within the US)!  The egg slip style is a perfect football shape.   Cannonball sinkers are round and work well, too, and you can buy either the molds or the finished product for not too much.

The start to finish process of molding sinkers (or bullets) is kind of involved and a little bit dangerous for the high temperatures and fumes.  Unless you really need a ton of lead sling projectiles, it might make the most sense to just buy them from one of the eBay suppliers.

Cords, pouch, stone, and time -&&Today, just as yesterday,&&Ages stand as one.

IP Logged

Jabames
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2009 at 8:51pm

thanks guys

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker)