Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greek Overhand / Underhand videos (Read 1637 times)
Rueben
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Greek Overhand / Underhand videos
Dec 20th, 2009 at 10:41pm

I finally put up some videos I recorded a month and a half ago. I had much more trouble editing these than usual, since the version I have installed of the software I used to use is now quite broken. I ended up having to use two different programs to get everything put together.

The first video is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GYxEXWG_OE]Greek Overhand Slinging[/url]. I previously discussed this technique in the [url=http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1248149128]Vertical Greek and Figure-8[/url] post. I don't have much to add since that time, other than to note that this does not hurt my shoulder much any more (unless I overdo the first few throws).

The second video is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f_YEcO5B-I]Greek Underhand Slinging[/url]. The final throwing part of the throw is the same as my [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CQPB3EJ1pI]normal underhand technique[/url] (start with hand up by year and elbow pointed back, arm mostly straight at the bottom of the throw) but the starting technique is different. The major difference is the timing. My other technique has some rotations with the wrist first, while this starts the throw right away.

I originally tried this underhand technique a few months ago, and at that time searched the forums to see if anyone else had described it. I did not find any other posts then, and thought that maybe I invented (or rediscovered) a new technique. However, a google search today turned up [url=http://slinging.org/index.php?page=slinging-styles---david-taylor]Slinging Styles - David Taylor[/url] which has a greek underhand example (with a bit more side arm than I use).

Note, I use a wide grip for overhand throws and a narrow grip for underhand throws. This tends to create back spin on both throws.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Greek Overhand / Underhand videos
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 2:45pm

Good stuff, Rueben. Thanks. I'm going to try both.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 3:57pm

great vids. Looks like you're finally starting to fill out too - getting some good power in those throws.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 5:57pm

They look good to me. Very consistant motion. Nice video angles too

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 7:21pm

Good videos Rueben. You are putting more ooomph into the Vertical Greek than I am.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2009 at 9:08am

Rueben,

I agree,you appear to be getting more power and good form!Is the greek overhand and the vertical greek the same thing?I'm a bit confused on that one.

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2009 at 12:30pm

I'd say so.

IP Logged

Rueben
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2009 at 1:09am

Brett,

Yes, the vertical greek (which I called it before) and greek overhand are the same. Perhaps I should have called it the vertical greek overhand? It is hard to come up with a good, descriptive name (witness the fig-8). My addition of vertical or overhand is meant to separate this throw from the more common horizontal "helicopter" greek throw.

I was out slinging a few days ago and contrary to what I wrote a week ago, the vertical greek overhand does hurt my shoulder a bit, especially if I overdo the first few throws. The fig-8 does not have this problem, even though the final throwing motion is almost the same. They are obviously more different than I originally thought, which makes sense as it is very easy to get a high trajectory with a vert greek, but much harder with a fig-8 (for me at least).

C_A,

I doubt I have put on much weight (apart from over Christmas); I was wearing pretty baggy clothes when I recorded those videos. One side of my family happens to be naturally skinny and I actually still fit into my suit pants from 13 years ago (though they are a hair tighter than I remember them being).

I feel like I can get more power into my throws, but I think any more effort would be wasted on tennis balls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick)