Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Max. Distance you've thrown with a sling

« Last Modified by: lipase on: Dec 16th, 2009 at 9:44pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
How far can you throw?! (Read 22173 times)
lipase
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

How far can you throw?!
Dec 16th, 2009 at 9:41pm

I'm curious as to how far people can throw projectiles with their slings. I don't know whether this thread will catch on or whether it's already been done but I'd love know what's possible and try and beat it and I'm sure other people would love to do the same!

I think it would be a good idea to list your projectile and maybe the distance of the grip from the projectile 'pouch' on your sling. A picture of the sling and projectile would be great so we can get a good idea.

I'm a complete novice at this unfortunately and so don't know what's possible in general or even what's possible for me!

*With a sling about 60cm from grip to pouch I've managed to throw a golf ball about 100m*
No picture available I'm afraid.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Re: How far can you throw?!
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 9:54pm

I voted 200-249m. That is with a clay projectile and a 34 inch PJ sling with perfect conditions.

With lead I think I can touch the 300 mark but that is more of a guesstimate then a measurement.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 10:09pm

A golf ball with a sling 122 centimeters in length,thrown to 225 meters.

Hello!!!!

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 10:09pm

As stated above it depends a lot on the projectile and also long distances are hard to measure accurately. I tend to use the measuring facility on Google Earth. With any sort of a decent stone 150m is relatively easy. Finding places to do it safely is the hard part.

I actually voted 100-149m but I have exceeded that and <200 would probably be a better max. estimate.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 10:27pm

Hi and Welcome, Lipase;
    Even though threads like this have been done before it's not a bad idea to do it again once in a while because people's maximum distance improves over time (hopefully).
    With a 49" (I think that's right.. it was a few months ago) tapered pj sling with a long pouch I was able to reach 200+ yards, estimated with Google Earth.  I clicked the 200-249 meter option.  I was using egg sized oval shaped stones as ammo and a modified side armed style.  I'm pretty sure that I've tossed golf balls farther than that on another occasion but at that time I had no means to accurately measure the distance.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 9:01am

Not more than 130 m, I guess, and those shots are rare.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 2:16pm

The type of sling that I use to achieve my maximum distance isn't something that one would want to use every day.  If I don't get it moving very quickly it drops the projectile prematurely.  It's cumbersome, not all that accurate, and can only be used in open spaces.  It's for setting personal distance records only.   With the type of sling I use every day,  usually either a 32"-40" Cobra or pj, 100-120 yards is normal.   

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Throwin' sticks and stones.

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 2:33pm

Best throw is about 120 paces which would probably be about 125 yrds. Average throw is more like 75 to 80 yrds though.  I"m using a 26" to 30" split pouch or same length PJ and that's folded length.  This is with the kitty litter biconicals.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 2:35pm

I voted for the 100-149 mark. I use a 20 to 23 inch sling, which many people concider on the short side. I generally throw rocks. I think my max would be about 140 yds, but mostly I keep my shot under 70 yds to work on my aim.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 2:35pm

Using my regular 70 centimeter sling. I'd reached a hill about 150 meters away. The rock would need to come down for the real distance though.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2009 at 3:37pm by Rockman »  

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 3:24pm

What if I can throw between 90 and 110m ? This category does not exist... Grin

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 3:58pm

freezing old day, captain paul golf ball pouch, 25 inches. angular but smooth 2 ounce (guess) rock.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 5:02pm

Here's a picture of the pouch I used to hit my best distance with.  It's the one on the left.  It's funny, looking at the Cobra on the right, how far they've come.  That was one of my originals.

3Slngs.jpg (72 KB | )
3Slngs.jpg

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 6:33pm

The farthest measured shot I made was exactly 150 yards with this 24" [Roughly 60 cm] cotton Apache. (It actually hit the 150 yard sign at the local driving range)

Even though I traded the original (The original one is in the picture BTW), I liked it so much, I made another exactly like it. Cheesy

100_2200.JPG (182 KB | )
100_2200.JPG

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 6:36pm

I voted second to last. With my long sling which is 13 feet overall length, I can sling really far in the right conditions.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)