Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Max. Distance you've thrown with a sling

« Last Modified by: lipase on: Dec 16th, 2009 at 9:44pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
How far can you throw?! (Read 22469 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: How far can you throw?!
Reply #75 - Dec 24th, 2009 at 5:19pm

Rockman wrote on Dec 24th, 2009 at 3:36pm:
I honestly belive that modern slingers have better range than those in biblical times.
It's true that people from the ancient world practced for an absurdly amount of time, that would make them far more accurate.

But for distance? not so sure. I have a hard time accepting than a guy from 2000 years ago, who barely made it to 5 feet in height  can throw farther that, say, a 6 foot 6 slavic from today. How could they?

Today we have better alimentation, better medicines and better health overall. I'm sure common illness was a big problem back them, a sick baby or child would mostly die.

Rockman once again makes perfect sense.  You only have to look at how records have fallen in both Olympic and professional sports.  As we learn more about health and nutrition we've become bigger/stronger/faster.  No doubt ancient shepherds, who had little else to do but practice slinging, would be generally more accurate.  They would be smaller, weaker, and in poorer health though.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #76 - Dec 25th, 2009 at 4:21pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1896_Summer_Olympics_-_Men%27s_100...

Take a look at the times in the 1896 olympics. Event is the 100 meter race.

This is from a little over 100 years ago. What about 1000 years? 2000 years?

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #77 - Dec 25th, 2009 at 8:19pm

I don't think you should read too much into sports statistics though. Remember that the eary Olympics were STRICTLY amateur. Such things as systematic training, sports medicine and psychology were unheard of. Even as late as the 1924 Olympics the idea of having a personal coach was looked on unfavourably.

The increase in height of the general population is more a product of improved diet, environment and sanitation that some sort of evolutionary change.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #78 - Dec 26th, 2009 at 6:26am

Aussie wrote on Dec 25th, 2009 at 8:19pm:
I don't think you should read too much into sports statistics though. Remember that the eary Olympics were STRICTLY amateur. Such things as systematic training, sports medicine and psychology were unheard of. Even as late as the 1924 Olympics the idea of having a personal coach was looked on unfavourably.

The modern Olympics are such a hyper-commercialized, corrupt TRAVESTY that I take great pride in scornfully IGNORING them every time they come around.

I'm much more entertained by the far more interesting events in the X-Games, anyway!  Smiley

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #79 - Dec 26th, 2009 at 1:49pm

Rat Man wrote on Dec 24th, 2009 at 5:19pm:
Rockman wrote on Dec 24th, 2009 at 3:36pm:
I honestly belive that modern slingers have better range than those in biblical times.
It's true that people from the ancient world practced for an absurdly amount of time, that would make them far more accurate.

But for distance? not so sure. I have a hard time accepting than a guy from 2000 years ago, who barely made it to 5 feet in height  can throw farther that, say, a 6 foot 6 slavic from today. How could they?

Today we have better alimentation, better medicines and better health overall. I'm sure common illness was a big problem back them, a sick baby or child would mostly die.

Rockman once again makes perfect sense.  You only have to look at how records have fallen in both Olympic and professional sports.  As we learn more about health and nutrition we've become bigger/stronger/faster.  No doubt ancient shepherds, who had little else to do but practice slinging, would be generally more accurate.  They would be smaller, weaker, and in poorer health though.  

However, technical skill is critical for range. I routinely shoot further (I'm in the 100-150 range mostly, my record is 162 m), and friends of mine who are taller, have longer arms, and are a lot stronger than I am, using longer slings (not proportionally longer), do not match the range, because they don't have the technical skill.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #80 - Dec 26th, 2009 at 3:20pm

I am right on board with PJ. the X-Games far more interesting. I'm partial to the skateboarding.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #81 - Dec 27th, 2009 at 1:51pm

Went to the park again yesterday with some golf balls. Made 24 throws, most of which were between about 100-170 yards.

I used to think I was sending golf balls farther than I am. Reality check said otherwise.

But I want to see what happens if I go up from the 42" sling I've been using.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #82 - Dec 28th, 2009 at 4:22am

Who would have thought it?
Two hundred yards is out there!
Thought I'd passed that mark...

(My latest slinging haiku.)

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #83 - Dec 28th, 2009 at 9:07pm

I'm revising my answer to the poll. i said i could sling to about 200yrd, guessing about where they land on google earth. but reading the other posts, it made me think i should really make an effort to prove that claim.  i am a member of a hunt club and we have property that has a high tention power line running tru it, and thats where we have our tower stands that we all draw for to use during the seasone. we have 6 stands that are positioned 200yrd apart along the power line. so i went there and tried to sling chunks of rose quartz from one stand to the other.......well......
not quit 200yrds, more like 140 to 150.......paced out. still a nice distance, but not 200.
maybe with lead i could go further, but i'm not willing to try that cause of the chance of lossing the shot and not wanting to leave lots of lead in the woods.

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark)