Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Max. Distance you've thrown with a sling

« Last Modified by: lipase on: Dec 16th, 2009 at 9:44pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
How far can you throw?! (Read 22500 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: How far can you throw?!
Reply #30 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 11:24am

hybrid_throwback, the smooth oval shaped stones are the best you can get for distance.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Snarfblat
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #31 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 11:35am

I voted 200-249m.  I've thrown the occasional river rock or golf ball (if I can get a good spin on it) over 200m, but most of my good throws with these projectiles are around 150-200m as measured by Google Earth.  With more practice I think that I can keep improving.  I use sidearm/underhand the most, and keep working on smoothing out that figure-8.

I use both long slings (dragging on the ground with my arm at my side) and short slings (not touching the ground with my arm at my side), made with leather/paracord or duct-tape/paracord.  

100m with a tennis ball is about as far as I think it will go, unless it's thrown very high with a strong wind behind it.

I'm guessing that to reach 492 yards you would need a perfect technique and a very dense, self-righting projectile.  The aerodynamics would be critical.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #32 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 12:41pm

Hold your horses everybody. Ill need to make conical lead glands, go to the Mojave dessert or some place with high elevation and wait for the right wind conditions before Ill be able to break a world record, so obviously its not going to happen for at least eight months and Ill have to get the money to go there.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #33 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:17pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 6:59am:
Quote:
We cant just say "piss off, you're full of it" just because he's a cocky kid from Detroit.

To be fair, I've seen his slinging style as well - and no way no how is that big rock going much further than 100 yards. I'm only going on 20 years slinging experience, meeting and watching more slingers than anyone else on the forum and holding the largest collection of sligning videos outside (maybe) of youtube. so hey, what do I know Smiley

It’s the speed of that 4 ounce payload at release that gets the distance. Although Mrboss’s technique may seem quirky, the speed and power are undeniable. As one who has claimed to exceed a measured 160 m with baseballs and 140 m with softballs I have no problem with mboss original claim of almost 300 m. Add to that the higher density and smaller cross section of stone. The only real proof we have around here are the Guinness records which were set at more than mile high altitude which is 10 times that of Detroit! For those in “Rio Linda” 10 times does not mean 10 times less the air density.      

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #34 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 4:27pm

I do note an article discussed in this forum earlier

http://pennstate.academia.edu/documents/0010/4106/brown_vega_craig2009_slings.pd...

Here, the measurements were done with GPS. The slingers were inhabitants of the Andes, who sling all their lives. The projectiles were pebbles, 3 cm x 5-9 cm.

The distances ? Women, on average 50+ m; men, just under 80 m. (BTW, the archaeologists were pleased, because there had been a hypothesis that sling range was even lower).

FWIW-- these are rigorously documented distances.

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #35 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 5:26pm

Thearos wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 4:27pm:

http://pennstate.academia.edu/documents/0010/4106/brown_vega_craig2009_slings.pd...

Here, the measurements were done with GPS. The slingers were inhabitants of the Andes, who sling all their lives. The projectiles were pebbles, 3 cm x 5-9 cm.

The distances ? Women, on average 50+ m; men, just under 80 m. (BTW, the archaeologists were pleased, because there had been a hypothesis that sling range was even lower).

Add those Andeans to the list. Smiley          

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #36 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 6:21pm

Thearos wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 4:27pm:

Just because you saw that documentary makes you believe that people cant sling much further than the recorded distances? I can throw a rock by hand 50 yards for peats sake. No offense toward you or anything.

IP Logged

muddundee
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Benfleet UK
Reply #37 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 6:25pm

A lot depends on where the slinger is standing & wind direction, for example when i started to learn the art we used to sling out to sea of the top of a cliff, it was relatively easy to exceed 150 yds & with the wind behind you it was possible to go further, the bloke who taught me slinging was a great lanky guy with long arms & he could send a rock way over that.

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #38 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 6:59pm

Wanderer - the silly bit in the middle is the red scorched stuff - mainly we leave it alone so that backpackers and alien contact hopefuls have it all to themselves  Grin I live in Southern QLD... cow country... the other half of the year it's pretty brown and hopeless looking, especially in winter. Mucho moo poo and nitrogen from the storms that hover around the mountain gives it that toxic green glow.

xxkid - a volcano littered this area with lumps of molten stone with a very high iron content onceuponatime... the "bombs" it threw out range from tiny things the size of an ant to foot long specimens. They have been shaped into assymetrical ellipses by their travel and cooling in the air, with a flattened "foot" from impact. Not many came out the right size for my pouch but once in a while I get lucky and they soar like birds. Maybe they can remember being up up n away  Tongue If only I could find a few hundred of em at the same time!

interesting to see those traditional figures... maybe something there similar to how just because a .303 can throw a bullet multiple kilometres away, in practice noone hunts at those distances and a bang on shot at 100m is worth more kudos than a wild air shot that noone can see the end of. Might be a social construct designed to stop the number of people getting stones in the skull from the neighbours being over ambitious too. More to people's actions than physics and the like. Maybe they don't like to let outsiders know just how far their defensive perimeter can extend if it needs to Wink Wouldn't blame them!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #39 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 7:15pm

1500' is a lot farther than 900'.Just sayin'.That adds a relay slinger in there.Come on Mr.Boss,come clean with some solid video evidence.Although I do believe you have awesome velocity on that wind up,I am inclined to question your claims,simply because in the past you posted contradictory statements.

I have thrown some 2 oz. egg sinkers that I believe to have exceeded 300 yards,but I have nothing to validate my suspicions with.

Although,I can supply a venue.When you are taking spring break(This year or next),stop through and we'll measure things nicely with a wheel and google earth.Here is a field I sling at frequently.I keep an eye on sporting schedules,and arrive with no one around.The distance marker is 425 meters.

Brett

Davis_Park.jpg (69 KB | )
Davis_Park.jpg

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #40 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 7:54pm

MrBoss: it's not a documentary, it's a scholarly article. And it's rigorously documented; your claims to throw 50 m by hand are not.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #41 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:00pm

Let me put it differently-- at the risk of being unpopular. Experienced, lifelong slingers, slinging at high altitude, with good ammo, are recorded by indepdenent observers using GPS (and standing downrange, and not recording any throws they're not 100% sure of) as throwing at 50 (female) and 80 m (male) average distances. Therefore, I wonder if people should regard their estimations of their own distances with the same suspicion as fishing stories, and give them serious "haircuts". (just like fighter pilots kill claims, or, indeed, fishermen's tales).

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #42 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:55pm

Thearos wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 7:54pm:
MrBoss: it's not a documentary, it's a scholarly article. And it's rigorously documented; your claims to throw 50 m by hand are not.

I think he's mixing up 50m for 50 ft. Tongue

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Reply #43 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:32pm

Ill prove everything in due time. And Ill even make a video of me throwing 150 feet by hand if you want, its not that hard. And the only place Id ever make a world record distance would be one in high altitude, no where else. Im not sure how high in altitude Jax's place is.

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #44 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:35pm

Must be remembered though that the average western male is probably a fair bit taller (not to mention has more mass to put behind a shot, all those beers add up) than the average Andean mountain man....though they'd be some buff lil blokes that's for sure. wiki says the average Mayan Indian male (for example) was 1.57m, vs the 1.7m fairly typical for males in most other parts of the world. When talking of leverage, rotation and force, length and weight of the lever makes a tremendous difference to the outcome. Even mass... i would expect a machine weighing 100k to have 20 percent more output than one weighing 80kg (in purely abstract terms, of course.It could just have a heavier case in the real world Tongue).

Hill people tend to be shorter, stockier and sturdier with more mass in shoulders and hips, with shorter long bones. Likewise plains/grassland people are typically taller, slimmer, with their bulk more evenly distributed and a tendency towards long, lean bones.

I wouldn't want a batallion of stumpy and talented Andeans to start slinging at me anytime soon... but some equally competent Masai or Pitjanjatjara could be expected to throw just a touch farther than someone 15 or 30cm or more shorter than them, at the very least... surely?

I know not everyone uses metres in a daily sense... most forum software tells me I have spelt metres incorrectly,and spelt too, for that matter... lol... but 50 metres is not very far to throw by hand. A metre is of course more than a yard, but only by 10cm. You need quite a few of em laid end to end before that cumulative difference makes much real difference at all. Perhaps we should adopt a universal measurement just for slingers called the "mard". It's around 95 cm  Tongue

I just threw 40ish metres with any old rock (no wind for once) and  have no background in cricket, baseball, whatever. hated sports as a kid.  50m is  about two or three typical aussie suburban home frontages. If you can't land a rock on the roof of the ppl three doors down, you need to be eating more vegetables Cheesy A standard cricket pitch is 20m long. Most schoolkids here could easily double that distance, and often do, from the number of balls on roofs near sports fields!

Working in feet does make for some big numbers, but the distance itself doesn't change. I am 6 foot 4 inches. that sounds heaps taller than saying I am 1.94m, and not as tall as 194 cm.

Playing with google earth shows me that my average "stuffing around" sling distance is about a hundred metres, the longest I could actually see the impact of was 160. "plinking" or lightweight shots (if there are people or pets around I keep shot under the 30mm mark, and use a conglomerate so it shatters instead of rebounds)  shots fall around the 60, 70 m mark. My accuracy is best between 60 and 90 metres. At 160 I'd be lucky to hit a postcode, haha. My average "trying for distance" is 120m. Somewhere in there between the vagaries of my projectiles and different ways of moving my body is the other 30 or 40 m. Not too unreasonable. As I age and gain skill and middle-aged muscle density I reckon I could average 150 more often than not.

If I can get power and technique balanced, I can hopefully flatten my trajectory quite a bit. A lot of shots must go half as high as they do long, using natural stone I think I need the height to overcome the drag etc.

Distance becomes harder exponentially... anyone can throw to 10m, sometimes accidentally  Grin . 50, probably. 80, with some practice. 100 , with time and oomph enough. much past that you enter the realm I think of "wow, I nailed that one! now what did I do differently that time? doh!". I cannot reliable belt em out to 160m, but then the poll did ask for longest, not average.

I'd say anyone that can hit the side of a bus at 100m is doing extremely well, likewise any shots that land within a few shorts steps of each other or that just make you feel good should be sources of pride. If  I was 5 feet tall I think I'd be average 120 at the absolute outside, newb that I am.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15)