Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Max. Distance you've thrown with a sling

« Last Modified by: lipase on: Dec 16th, 2009 at 9:44pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
How far can you throw?! (Read 22471 times)
Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: How far can you throw?!
Reply #15 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 10:02pm

I have no ware safe to try and go for full power, so i never really try full power, just some mdoerate power within reason.
But i may try ona  turf field near where i sling soon, i think it has a full size soccer field on it, so maybe ill use that to find out.
i voted 50-99m

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:15am

Quote:
I voted second to last. With my long sling which is 13 feet overall length, I can sling really far in the right conditions.

That would put you in the world record category mrboss.

Any time you want to put your money where your mouth is I suggest you give the guinness people a ring. Otherwise why not just admit your distances are in feet Smiley

In fact 450 metres is 492 yards - that would even exceed the dart sling world record.
Have you ever measured 400 yards out ? Not feet Yards. It's an amazingly long way. And metres are even further.

Untill I try with lead glandes I'm still on 240 metres.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #17 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 10:03am

mr. boss

I got to wonder why you are the only guy on the forum who measures your sling in overall length. I'm not saying it is wrong, but it is a little confusing. That, combined with the staggering distances you claim to throw, kind of makes you apear to be overcompinsating for something Wink Relax there is nothing to prove here.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2009 at 6:56am by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Throwin' sticks and stones.

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #18 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 11:26am

I measure my slings from center of pouch to finger loop so it's actually twice as long as I say it is,LOL. Roll Eyes

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #19 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 3:01pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:15am:
Quote:
I voted second to last. With my long sling which is 13 feet overall length, I can sling really far in the right conditions.

That would put you in the world record category mrboss.

Any time you want to put your money where your mouth is I suggest you give the guinness people a ring. Otherwise why not just admit your distances are in feet Smiley

In fact 450 metres is 492 yards - that would even exceed the dart sling world record.
Have you ever measured 400 yards out ? Not feet Yards. It's an amazingly long way. And metres are even further.

Untill I try with lead glandes I'm still on 240 metres.

Im actually thinking of contacting guiness eventually.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #20 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 4:10pm

dunno if they'll take you seriously  Wink

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #21 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 8:50pm

Now I'm certain that mrboss is a powerful slinger, cos I've seen his videos. Is he in Larry Bray's league? I dunno... Larry's throws dont look all that special but he was clearing 300 metres in front of our own C_A.

Somehow we need to measure and confirm or refute what is going on here, because if mrboss is even 80% correct he is the third best slinger in the modern world, after Yurek and Larry Bray. If he is 100% as good as he says, we need to get Guinness on the phone.

We cant just say "piss off, you're full of it" just because he's a cocky kid from Detroit. There's an old giffer from Wyoming and a beardy guy from Eastern Europe who are already there. Hell, I'd like to be there but I dont know how.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #22 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 10:09pm

I am not going to take one side or another but I would love to see some acctual proof of 450+ yard shots. I would be the first person to make a 13 foot sling if I thought I could chuck that far.

BTW here is the link for the Guiness Book of World Records.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/register/register.aspx?existing=0

Looks like you need to register

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #23 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:41am

Gday guys... just cast my vote... went for 150-200. Hard to judge precisely as everywhere around my place (the range, haha) is either uphill or downhill from someplace else. But I use an old burnt out house-pad that I know for a fact is 200ft for comparison, and stop "tracking" a shot once it has more fall than travel. Hard to do, would be nice if I could throw something and then suddenly be 90 degrees to one side of it!  Grin

Glad to see I'm in the mid ground of figures (machismo being what it is) but I suspect being awkwardly tall, having arms like a trebuchet and being fairly hardened to outdoor work (not to mention being a whippersnapper, to some extent) helps a lot.

I find that with a crosswind at 90deg (live on a montane ridge about 400m up here, serious wind sometimes) can shave 1/3 off distance and of course throws any semblance of accuracy (beyond it going somewhere in front of me) as I don't have any truly round, smooth shot. Using natural stone, if it's round it's typically not smooth and if its smooth it's more tear or egg shaped, of course.

I find that for accuracy practice, guess you could call it plinking, 20-30mm shot of medium density stone seems a good choice. I am lucky enough to have a hill full of conglomerate stone that shatters in impact... this reduces rebounds and dangerous richochets. For distance, I choose a 50-75 mm stone of high density. A stiff tailwind is lovely, too, and I am sure in many an ancient battle or hunt slingers had to choose between tailwind for assistance vs headwind to avoid scent alerting game or foes. Teaches you to work at least halfway with nature, that's for sure.

Into the wind (never measured it, but a stiff breeze up here lets me run LED lights  from a homemade turbine system of aluminium blades and macgyver'd VCR motors) and the usual wind is enough to naturally bonsai trees, altitude seems to be unaffected but distance drops by half, at least. Density of shot matters a lot at this early stage of my practice, with "midweight" shots averaging poorer range and accuracy than double or half that weight... I find I tend to undercompensate.

Was thinking of casting some concrete shots in passionfruit skins (bit of a fruit bat!)... not big on lead. Would make an ideal size though, reasonably smooth and biologically "inert".

Some impressive throws out there... I'm built more like a spearman than a bowmen otherwise I could do better  Wink May have to start swigging more ale? Important to set achievable goals  Tongue

Does anyone know if there is any kind of device that could be incorporated into largish (palm sized?) shot to measure altitude/distance/time/velocity? would be interesting to see some real figures. Worlds first USB 2.0 shot? good for a laugh, anyway.

A piccy of my favoured "range" is attached. it is sometimes actually that green, lots of lightning and rain of late.

happy flinging,
H_T

P2190030.JPG (48 KB | )
P2190030.JPG

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #24 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:59am

would be interesting to see a poll of how far we can all throw (by hand, I mean) a similar shot to what we sling, perhaps there is an easily determined basic ratio of power or ability that could be found. I cannot throw by hand very far for my height or build but that has more to do with a few old injuries etc... I find a sling neatly overcomes these and uses entirely different muscle and ligament sets.

we are each contributing quite wildly varying factors in our self assessment such as ,height, weight, strength, experience, style/length/weight/drag of sling, shot not to mention local conditions, warmup v non warmup... perhaps if we could all source an equally weighted, equally form shot with an identical sling under standardised conditions, but I don't think the world is ready for two dozen slingers in an organised formation JUST yet  Grin

having seen people in other disciplines such as shooting, football and swimming tells me that you tend to get power people, and technique/rhythm people... the truly astouding competitor is the one who uses both together to blow the rest of us out of the water.

happy enough to just get em within 5 degrees of each other, here  Smiley

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #25 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:35am

I am pretty sure that I can hit out to somewhere in the vicinity of +150-200 yards (137-182m) probably 200 if I give it a good ooomph, now that I use longer slings than I used to.  With a 42" PJ sling, I can definitely pass 100 yards regularly.  That's with golf balls.  With clay glandes that are about the size of golf balls, I'm sure I could blast past that.

My answer on the poll was 150-199m.  I'm fairly sure I'm good for that.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #26 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 6:59am

Quote:
We cant just say "piss off, you're full of it" just because he's a cocky kid from Detroit.

To be fair, I've seen his slinging style as well - and no way no how is that big rock going much further than 100 yards. I'm only going on 20 years slinging experience, meeting and watching more slingers than anyone else on the forum and holding the largest collection of sligning videos outside (maybe) of youtube. so hey, what do I know Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #27 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:56am

hybrid_throwback wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:59am:
would be interesting to see a poll of how far we can all throw (by hand, I mean) a similar shot to what we sling, perhaps there is an easily determined basic ratio of power or ability that could be found. I cannot throw by hand very far for my height or build but that has more to do with a few old injuries etc... I find a sling neatly overcomes these and uses entirely different muscle and ligament sets.

we are each contributing quite wildly varying factors in our self assessment such as ,height, weight, strength, experience, style/length/weight/drag of sling, shot not to mention local conditions, warmup v non warmup... perhaps if we could all source an equally weighted, equally form shot with an identical sling under standardised conditions, but I don't think the world is ready for two dozen slingers in an organised formation JUST yet  Grin

having seen people in other disciplines such as shooting, football and swimming tells me that you tend to get power people, and technique/rhythm people... the truly astouding competitor is the one who uses both together to blow the rest of us out of the water.

happy enough to just get em within 5 degrees of each other, here  Smiley

In the prehistory of this forum someone suggested the ratio of hand and sling thrown distances. I don't think anyone posted their figures at the time.

To me slinging is very much rhythm, timing, almost no brute force thank goodness  Smiley.

As far as the long distance technique - it seems to me the pirouette has to be the way to go if one insists on the 6.5 foot slings MrBoss uses, if one can get the elevation for the distance, but what little has been posted suggests a technique that could do with a lot of polishing.

I think it's a big mistake to assume that a longer sling will automatically get one a greater distance. It will only if one can modify one's throwing motion properly to the longer sling. The longer the sling the further one has to move one's hand to get the same effect, and they pretty much scale together. I think that is basically why the measures hand-to-whatever have some usefulness.

Personally I can't believe the distances are in feet rather than yards (!) although there are many here who seem to think that a yard is pretty much the same as a meter!

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:26am

Yeah, I am also very skeptical about Mr Bossīs claims. And letīs face it if you start claiming distances around, even beyond the world record  your word simply isnīt good enough, seeing is believing.
Before that happens , a demonstration, live, in presence of reliable witnesses and a sound way of measuring the distance I stay in the non believer camp.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #29 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:28am

hybrid_throwback wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:41am:
Does anyone know if there is any kind of device that could be incorporated into largish (palm sized?) shot to measure altitude/distance/time/velocity? would be interesting to see some real figures. Worlds first USB 2.0 shot? good for a laugh, anyway.

No, but I'm working on it Wink. Don't hold your breath Grin
Quote:
A piccy of my favoured "range" is attached. it is sometimes actually that green, lots of lightning and rain of late.
And there was me visualising a scorched red desert. Which part of Australia is that (sorry if you mentioned it in your earlier posts - havn't read them all yet Wink)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark)