Send Topic Print
Bolas - how to make? (Read 6684 times)
Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Bolas - how to make?
Nov 10th, 2009 at 6:45am

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Bolas
would that be a good way to make some?

and is it highly advised to nto use them against people? some friends and i are interestid in playing a game that basically
has you guys attacking eachother and  want to make some safe(ish) bolas to use on their legs (the playing field is sandy)
so yeah i know the ones i linked wouldnt work

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Bolas - how to make?
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 8:59am

monkey fist around hackey-sack ball, I like at least 3 weights and lines, as I've never had any luck with 2 weights. I've used strand length around 20 to 25 inches weight to central point. I throw from a grip on one of the pouches. That will provide about 30 inches of capture width.

I wouldn't use their instructions. It takes more than string and tape.
use the picture on that site as a guide and use a very strong cordage. or
if all you have is string and twine .... braid a set of cords to get enough strength

P.S. solid weight can equal serious damage ... think sling and stone where you throw the entire rig.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 2:14pm

paracord and tennis balls. pop a couple of holes through the tennis balls and thread the cord through with a knot on the backside. keep the lines fairly short, 18 to 20 inches from center to ball.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 4:13pm

doing duct tape right now- if it stings only it's good for me Cheesy

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

slingingrat
Funditor

I never miss the rock
allways hits something

Hagerstown MD
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 3:23pm

When i was a kid we made them like this take 5 or 6 1oz lead fishing sinkers tie each one to a cord so that when done the cord is 2 1/2ft long from relese knot to sinker tie all the cords in one big knot this is the relese node now when you use it it will have a 5ft spred this is what we called a brid bola made to use on flocks of brids Wink

When I go bear hunting all I take is a bat and when I find the bear I give him the bat to make things even&&&&When the goverment takes all the guns who ever has the most swords axes clubs spears bows and slings WILL RULE THE WORLD A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry did I say that out loud
Evan Werner  
IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 5:00pm

not safe lol..but ill throw this idea out there..

ive made some from those solid 2-3 inch wooden balls that they sell in craft stores.

just drill a hole through them and knot it on both ends so that it holds the ball tightly. the only problem is after a while the wood chips but if you covered them in leather or somthing it would help.

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 5:55pm

i know (you guys can take some hurt right) grab one of those foam balls at art stores and stuff the sucker with gravel. it'll sting but hey Wink

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 6:44am

xxkid123 wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 5:55pm:
i know (you guys can take some hurt right) grab one of those foam balls at art stores and stuff the sucker with gravel. it'll sting but hey Wink

What if you stuck a ball bearing in the middle instead?

Or wrapped a ball bearing with a lot of quilt batting and electrical tape?

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:48am

hmm, i have 103 golfballs, maybe ill figure out how to make a monkeys fist around one, that may work

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

BommareZ

Slinging Rocks!

ypres, belgium
Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 1:29am

Woonilsra wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:48am:
hmm, i have 103 golfballs, maybe ill figure out how to make a monkeys fist around one, that may work

here's a great link for the monkeyfist

http://www.animatedknots.com/monkeysfist/index.php

once you get it, it isn't difficult

I'd rather own a sling and a stone..... than stock in a corporate giant

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 6:10am

Woonilsra wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:48am:

Golf balls aren't exactly soft. I hit my brother with my first set of golf ball bolas and put him on the ground. I'd pad them with something (maybe wrap them in rags and then cover them with duct tape)

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 12:33pm

Kjev wrote on Nov 26th, 2009 at 6:44am:
xxkid123 wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 5:55pm:

What if you stuck a ball bearing in the middle instead?

Or wrapped a ball bearing with a lot of quilt batting and electrical tape?

K'Jev
Cool

yeah, but then they could say it didn't hit them- with gravel they'll be slightly wincing- enough to have proof, but not enough to injure

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 7:23pm

Sounds kind of like painball er . . . paintball. Shoot til they scream & swear. (and if I ever catch that @(*&$ who shot me in the head after I said I was hit . . .)

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 4:15pm

Hmm, im liking the idea of padded goldballs for simplicity, but my friends wont get hurt from it, (hopefully) they arent that weak.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2009 at 4:32pm

Woonilsra wrote on Dec 1st, 2009 at 4:15pm:
Hmm, im liking the idea of padded goldballs for simplicity, but my friends wont get hurt from it, (hopefully) they arent that weak.

There is a reason people randomly yell "Fore!"

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)