Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Cobra Sling Tutorial! (Read 35919 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Cobra Sling Tutorial!
Reply #45 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 10:01am

In putting this tutorial together I realize that there are other ways to make this particular sling.  Each time I make one I find a way to make it slightly easier or better than the last.  I'm sure that when others, many much more skilled than I,  start making Cobras there will be lots of other and better methods and procedures added.  This is just how it came to me... we all know that there are many much better sling makers here that will surely improve on it.  Just the same I'm very glad to add something to the site that members seem to like.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #46 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 4:41pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Nov 7th, 2009 at 7:34pm:
I have a suggestion for another kind of Rockman/Cobra hybrid. Weave it like a Peruvian pouch until it would normally split down the middle, and instead split it vertically and weave it as before. Cross the two strands like a normal rockman to finish the pouch. I'dmake it, but I don't have a workspace right now.

It's undoubtedly me, Masiaka, but I have a hard time visualizing this.  Could you please make a few diagrams?  If I could picture it better maybe I could do it.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #47 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 6:08pm

I'm not sure I can draw it, so I'll just make one. I'm going to have a week off for thanksgiving and I've already promised two people to make them slings, so I'll turn it into an all day project. The way I see the cobra rockman it has the skiiny "neck" of the snake with or without the fangs, but instead of the "cobra hood" on your sling I'm going to weave it exactly like a short and stubby rockman pouch. Is that more clear? I'll post pics when I make it.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #48 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 6:20pm

Yes, I think I have it, but as they say, one picture....

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #49 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 10:53pm

... one thousand words.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #50 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 2:21pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Nov 20th, 2009 at 10:53pm:
... one thousand words.

...known as a book Grin

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #51 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 6:53pm

Since making this tutorial I've found that a couple of the steps were superfluous. Where I wind the extra whipping cord around and around to make the tail in step 17... I skip that now and just use West Country Whipping there. It makes the tail more easily, it looks just as good, and I believe that it's stronger.  I also skip step 19 where you untie the knot on the retention end of the pouch.  If done incorrectly it'll misshape the pouch, which is quite distressing after all that work.  Instead I just whip over it then cover the part of the knot left protruding with glue from a hot glue gun. 
   If you'd rather continue doing these steps fine.  I've made many nice Cobras that way.  I just think it's easier and the sling is a bit stronger if you use the alternate methods suggested here.

IP Logged

Sargon of Akkad
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #52 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 8:38am

Great tutorial.  And...have you tranqulised that dog?!  Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #53 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 4:11pm

Thanks, Sargon.  The dog, Kali, is quite crazy.  The only way to live with her is to walk the devil out of her.  She sleeps hard between her long, vigorous walks.

IP Logged

oud25
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #54 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 5:46pm

so is this a simple version of a sling where u just aim and shoot instead of timing the release? Cheesy

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #55 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 6:15pm

oud25 wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 5:46pm:
so is this a simple version of a sling where u just aim and shoot instead of timing the release? Cheesy

Timing the release is the nature of the beast when it comes to slinging. I'm afraid that there is no sling out there that is just aim and shoot. That's why we all love slinging; it's a challenge!

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

oud25
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #56 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 1:46am

but is this one like a sling version of a lacrosse stick?
since it has no other band or strap on the other side?
so is it a kind of throw and flick to release? Huh

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #57 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 8:39am

oud25 wrote on Feb 16th, 2011 at 1:46am:
but is this one like a sling version of a lacrosse stick?
since it has no other band or strap on the other side?
so is it a kind of throw and flick to release? Huh

It actually does have cords on both sides. This picture shows a finished Cobra Sling.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #58 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 10:50am

I'm going to have to add a small mini-tutorial to the end of this.  The way I make Cobras now, they look a lot better in that there's no knot on either end of the pouch when completed.  Instead of tying the overhand knot to secure each end of the "frame" as part of the pouch I use an extra piece of cord on each end.  Then, PRIOR TO WEAVING I whip the retention end of the pouch.  Once I begin the whipping and have a few knots tied I untie the extra piece of cord.  It is no longer used.  After weaving I do untie the extra piece of cord at the release end then do the whipping there. This may be hard to visualize for some, so I'll post a few pictures shortly.  It makes for a MUCH nicer looking sling.

IP Logged

oud25
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #59 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 1:37pm

ill try this one when i get more experience
haha
im having trouble with basic ones
thanks for the help guys Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)