Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Pics of ancient slingers (Read 88394 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Pics of ancient slingers
Reply #15 - Nov 7th, 2009 at 6:41pm

Sometimes the shields were simply wicker. Not much use against swords, or even arrows. Slingers were always the lowest people in the armies.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #16 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 11:56am

Thearos wrote on Nov 7th, 2009 at 6:19pm:
and a single grip, bossed shield at that

Bossed, yes. But single grip? If you measure the slingers throwing arm and compare it to the shield arm you can see he is wearing it strapped to his forearm. It would make sense to make a shield that can be held either way.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #17 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 12:07pm

slingbadger wrote on Nov 7th, 2009 at 6:41pm:
Sometimes the shields were simply wicker. Not much use against swords, or even arrows. Slingers were always the lowest people in the armies.

Wicker shields are very effective at stopping arrows:

"…the Persians had made a barricade of their wicker shields and from the protection of it were shooting arrows from it in such numbers…" Herodotus IX,61

I remember but cant now find a description of an experimental shield of wicker, two layers wound in opposite directions and covered in goatskin. This was very lightweight but stopped powerful arrows. The point penetrates but the shaft is 'gripped' by the wicker and only goes through a few inches.

More shield talk here: http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7175

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 12:26pm

Quote:
Can't help but notice that several have their stones in pouches on their throwing side.  A bit awkward, that. Wink

Once you try it you'll find it's the other way round that's awkward Smiley

I LOVE the mustachios on the britons - bet davids got mustache envy ! lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #19 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 2:37pm

No envy here, I have a fine example of the type  Cool

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:15pm

Looks like if you carry a shield, you should get comfortable loading right handed.

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #21 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 2:39am

This is exactly how I do it, cos I learned it from this page: http://www.zinfinium.net/index.php?id=157

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 2:27pm

he Slinger on the Trajan column does not show the reality. However, we have developed a technology for Slings and Shields.

Here for you a few traditional pictures

forum14.jpg (222 KB | )
forum14.jpg

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #23 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 5:45pm

Midway down the picture is a slinger with a shield. Notice the unusual thumbless grip he uses. The release is a simple loop over the index finger. About a year ago someone posted some pictures of slingers in the Kenyan disturbances using this style of release. There seemed to be some controversy that the photos were merely posed and that style of release wouldn't really be practical. However the fine detail on this picture makes me think that it is accurate and not merely artistic license.

I know that Eoraptor holds the release bead between her index and middle fingers. Does anyone on the forum use this loop or other unusual release styles?

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #24 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 7:52pm

C12th century stuff.

Isn't the slinger throwing with retention loop on index, and somehow releasing with the other fingers ?

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #25 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 8:12pm

Hadn't considered that possibility but still think the index finger loop is the release. The loop is large and loose fitting and the finger partially relaxed. The other fingers seem much more clenched, possibly holding a toggle.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #26 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 8:15pm

I'm with Aussie. Maybe the artist had a sling in front of him, and invented a way to hold it without first hand experience?

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #27 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 7:12am

Aussie wrote on Dec 7th, 2009 at 8:12pm:
Hadn't considered that possibility but still think the index finger loop is the release. The loop is large and loose fitting and the finger partially relaxed. The other fingers seem much more clenched, possibly holding a toggle.

I agree the release is likely made with the index finger, although it seems incredibly awkward to me.

Isn't that a traction trebuchet in the background?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #28 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 11:20am

You're right-- trebuchet, with lots of loosely hanging ropes for the team of pullers !

I still think hooked on index, and released from between third and fourth fingers. Try it !

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 12:31pm

Mideval paintings where never photorealistic - they always are "talking" pictures.
We don´t know what the atist want to say, but there must be a reason to put a slinger in a good and important position like he does.
Normaly they show important persons like a king in the middle of a picture, thats why I think the artist want to say something spezial like:" ..the defenders where less armed and had not as many knights as the agressors, but win.." or something like this.

This kind of release would be just possible if he uses his arm like a Fustibal and in this case he really would release the loop.
But this would decrease the power of the weapon extremly.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)