Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Switching sling lengths? (Read 3125 times)
RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Switching sling lengths?
Oct 15th, 2009 at 10:10am

I've been slinging almost everyday for the last 4 weeks.  I'm 6 feet 3 inches tall.

I started with a 10" sling (from bad advice), went to a 16 inch to a 23 inch, yesterday I went to a 30" after reading posts on this forum.  I also noticed that shorter lengths may be accurate at very short distances, but due to the lower velecity the stones sink a lot faster, altering accuracy.

I've also read about how some of you use different lengths on different occasions.  How easily do you guys adapt when going from a say a 24 inch sling to a 36 inch sling?   Is it just as natural as going from a sling to throwing without a sling?  Or do you just use the longer one for different distances?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Switching sling lengths?
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 11:04am

depends on the slinger.
But generally longer slings are for distance and poor with accuracy and shorter slings are for less distance and better accuracy.

Most of us end up with an edc sling that compromises accuracy with distance.

I'm 5 foot 6 and my edc is 28 inches. I can use longer and shorter slings but prefer this length for most things.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 11:21am

What does "edc" stand for?  (EDIT:  EveryDay Carry?)

And thanks for the advice.
Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 11:04am:
depends on the slinger.
But generally longer slings are for distance and poor with accuracy and shorter slings are for less distance and better accuracy.

Most of us end up with an edc sling that compromises accuracy with distance.

I'm 5 foot 6 and my edc is 28 inches. I can use longer and shorter slings but prefer this length for most things.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 12:22pm

What c_a said.  I like to experiment with different types and lengths of sling. I'm 6'4" with slightly disproportionately long arms.  I'm comfortable with slings from 24" to 60".  My edc is around 36".

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 3:30pm

i don't adapt, i grit my teeth and do it Wink

lol, i can change lengths easily, but on longer slings (above 27 inchs) my shots start changing a lot.

my edc is 25 inches

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 4:42pm

Also, I don't have a lot of problems switching from one length to another.  I like a shorter one for the woods or skinny trails and a longer one if I know I'll be slinging in a more open area.  Most of us carry a couple of slings anyway, to cover all of the bases.  I've been at this for not quite a year now and my accuracy is probably about average, though it's slowly getting better.  Staff slings are way cool and once you get a feel for regular hand slings I suggest giving them a try.  A few of us have played with them and I've yet to read about anyone not liking them a lot.  The advantage to them is that you can hurl much heavier ammo.  

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 5:58pm

Most of my slings hover around the 30-34 inch mark. I have a few that are much longer and one or two that is a lot shorter.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Throwin' sticks and stones.

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 6:05pm

My 32" PJ works great with a helicopter style of slinging, lots of speed it built up for a powerful throw but for GP a 26" or so sling works better for me right now.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 6:48pm

I don't change my sling lengths very much. I have one long sling (32") but never really use it. Most of my slings are around the 20 to 23" length. Its the only size I really feel comfortable with.

IP Logged

Gullinbursti

Slinging Rocks!

Providence, Rhode Island - USA
Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 3:18pm

I've recently been toying with an overhead single rotation/sidearm release type throw that I'm getting fairly accurate with - My only gripe is that I don't have enough power. Perhaps I should try a longer sling? My standard length for virtually all of my slings is around 26", because I use my previous slings as a length reference when I make new ones.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 7:28pm

I'm tall with long arms and 26" is the length of my shorter slings.  A 26" sling is OK for when I'm in the woods but I usually like one around 36".  I generally can't get more than about 80 yards with a 26 incher.  If I'm going to be out in the open and want to take some real power shots I'll use a sling 54" to 60".  There's no right or wrong and everyone is different, but I think you're right.  A longer sling is probably your best way to more power.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 6:26am

the thing is, slinging is all about leverage.
essentially what we are doing is making our arms longer and removing the bones from the end section.

So if the second section (sling) is the same length as your arm, your body is already geared up to use it. The centre point is you hand and you're used to things the length of your own arm.
different lengths will require more mental adjustment.

distance is down to a lot of things but the main one is how fast the pouch is travelling at point of release. Now long slings are not as easy to move fast as small slings. But taller people with longer arms should be able to handle longer slings better and get them to move faster.

I say 'should'. because the record throw with a sling stone was by a relatively short guy with a disproportionately long sling.
so technique is actually more important than how long your arms are.

On the other hand the current record (with a captive release sling and dart) was by the same length sling as the stone throw but by a much taller man.

In short longer slings can be better for distance but technique is everything  Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 1:20pm

I've been doing terrible with the 30" sling since I started using it a few days ago.  No wild throws, but most of my shots are off by 1 to 4 feet off target from ten yards.  I went out this morning and did a lot better.  Then I realized I was using the 26" sling I gave my daughter.

I think I will stick with the 26" for a while.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #13 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 1:22pm

actually, it may just be because you are unused to it.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #14 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 3:24pm

xxkid123 wrote on Oct 18th, 2009 at 1:22pm:
actually, it may just be because you are unused to it.

I may have just been having a bad week.  A lot of accuracy is mental.  ( And I'm mental  Cheesy) I took the 30 incher back out and started hitting my 20 oz water bottle 1 in 5 time from 7 yards.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick)