Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Were ancient Balearic war slings tapered ? (Read 12842 times)
Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Re: Were ancient Balearic war slings tapered ?
Reply #15 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 6:31pm

JerrySlinger wrote on Oct 14th, 2009 at 5:23pm:
I have been looking for hemp and I can't find it anywhere..only jute and sisal. I wanted to make my next one out of hemp but made it out of mason line instead. I don't know if it is all in my head but I can throw a lot harder and further with my mason line sling then I can with my sisal ones which are all the same demensions.  I didn't taper the mason line sling because it the nylon is so slippery I don't think it will stay clean for long. But back to tapered fiber slings not being strong.. I hung one of my tapered sisal slings through the finger loop from my chinning bar the other day and was able to hang and swing from it and everything. I am 150lbs so it is pretty strong..In my search to find if their slings were tapered I read that the first ever armored boat was made because the Balearic slingers were able to sink boats from the shore with their slings. That's pretty amazing http://periodictable.com/Items/082.58/index.html

Unlike many of people, I can understand why they had to armor their ships from sling bullets.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #16 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 6:45pm

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #17 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 10:51pm

Thearos wrote on Oct 14th, 2009 at 6:45pm:

Thats a totally different thing. Besides, why were animal hides used as protection from sling bullets? As if its guaranteed to stop a sling bullet.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #18 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 12:29am

Actually they would be very effective at stopping sling stones that weren't too sharp. It works on the judo principle of yielding and dispersing the force slowly. Try hanging up a piece of old carpet or something like that and slinging at it. Provided it's not stretched tightly it will just move back and absorb the energy. The same stone slung at your typical, unyielding, deserted factory wall will smash a hole in it because the impact happens over a much shorter time so the force is much greater.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

JerrySlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 12:47am

according to this http://periodictable.com/Items/082.58/index.html ; they were  using lead football shaped projectiles to sink boats.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #20 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 1:02am

Big "maybe" to that one. The English had trouble sinking Spanish ships with cannon balls. Perhaps the enemy were zipping around in Zodiacs.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #21 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 4:51am

JerrySlinger: that's not a source, that's just someone posting a misunderstood or misrembered thing. How does the author of your reference know that the Balearic slingers sank war galleys with slings ? He doesn't give an ancient source. Don't take with caution-- don't take at all.

I have given you a (I think the only) ancient source: the ancient author Strabo. He talks of leather screens across the decks: stones (rather than lead, I think ? Not sure what the situation is in the C2nd BC, but Diod describes the balearic slingers throwing stones) raining on the ships, at fairly long range, and bouncing off the screens.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #22 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 4:59am

The source is obviously Strabo, just not quoted: te giveaway is a mention of the goatskin on the arm. In Strabo, this is not a "bag", but a skin to act as a shield-- your reference has distorted this into a bag. So the reference to "armoured" ships is to the stretched leather screens (I haven;t got the Greek, but it must be something like parapetasmata) to protect the decks.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #23 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 10:28am

You said : " war sling... sling"
Is there a difference between a war sling and a peace sling ?
And which ?
I think : this question isn't soo easy !

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 4:26pm

war slings would be longer.

'peace' slinging in the balearic islands mainly consists of target shooting at 20&30 metres.

War slinging would have mainly been at much longer distances, so the slings would have been longere.

It's said that a balearic slinger would carry three different length slings, for different distance slinging.

The longer slings would most likely have been for smaller ammo as well.
Plenty evidence that they used lead glandes (I have an historic lead glande from ibiza) so the pouches would have had to be smaller and the slings more flexible.

So, yeah - not a hard question to answer Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #25 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:25am

Yes,
You said : "It's said that a balearic slinger would carry three different length slings, for different distance slinging".
So, why the longer for war and not the two others ?
Is absolutely necessary to shoot at a great distance in a battle ? I think not. During the fray, some shoots can help the infantry. Undecided

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #26 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:27pm

obviously all three would be available for war.

different missiles and different distances.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #27 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 10:14am

Ok with you, Curious Aardvark. The most important is the missile. Only after, you can choice the best sling for a good shoot.
You can choice big stones to break wooden shields or lead to injure infantry for exemple. But I think they used their usual slingstones. Perhaps another for a specific usual.
So, they adapted to combine with their habits and the tactics.
I am not sure the balearic slings of today are the same. Perhaps but 2000 years do a big difference.
Just my idea because I don't know the past.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #28 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 9:24am

I do not think that they were tapered, at least not to a degree as they are nowadays. The closest depiction concerning culture, space and time difference is a sling of the Etruscans that is concerning the overall shape similar to the Balearic construction style nowadays, with three threads in the pouch, and also seems not to be tapered, but has a small pommel at the end.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)