Makron cup (ca. 490) (Read 29252 times)
JAG

Pussy Cat

GB
Re: Makron cup (ca. 490)
Reply #60 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 1:26pm

Oxnate wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 8:04pm:
JAG wrote on Sep 9th, 2014 at 4:59am:
I've often noted the complete lack of spiritual thought in the warriors  of history. The Chinese martial arts are renowned for it. Roll Eyes

As for naked men running around, well i can see the attraction Cheesy

JAG wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 1:37am:
Oxnate asks "You've known a lot of historic warriors, have you?"

JAG Replies:

Did I claim to? Err.... No. I have however studied enough chinese martial arts to know that each is primarily a philosophy. The same is true of many other fighting systems.

I also have  military experience and am well aware of the importance of God to many in uniform.

Personally, God is pointless. Faith however is extremely powerful.

My point to your original point (copied above) is that warriors didn't tend to do much writing.  Less than philosophers at least, and very few works survive from anyone who wasn't a general or a king of some sort.

How can you say that warriors didn't tend to do much writing? Where is your evidence of that? Now it's true limited sources survive, but that does not mean that a conclusion such as yours can be drawn.

My other point was that since none of us were around back then, we don't know what the actual martial arts practiced back then looked like.  But an easy bet would be that they were far more practical and less philosophical/spiritual than today's martial arts.

My experience is that all traditional chinese martial arts have become more practical and less spiritual since becoming open to the west. You should remember that up to the middle of the 20th Century such knowledge was denied to westerners for spiritual reasons. Yet, even today honoring the dojo and your opponent is customry prior to a fight.

It goes along with what Bill Skinner said:
Bill Skinner wrote on Sep 9th, 2014 at 8:18pm:
Most warriors in history were pretty much what we would refer to today as thugs.  Once they won, they got the bards to pretty up what they actually did. 

That's why you have the noble hero fighting the base churl. Grin

Knights back in the day were thugs, murderers, rapists, and worse.  "Chivalry" was added later to try and get those [not polite Lips Sealed]  people to shape up.  It was unlikely that it was any different in the East.  Philosophy and spiritualism were added to "enlighten" the thugs that were doing the fighting.  How much they really followed it back then is anyone's guess.

Again that is a conclusion that just cannot be made. It goes against all knowledge that we have of the ancient warrior classes.

No Entry. Works In Progress.

IP Logged

JAG

Pussy Cat

GB
Reply #61 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 1:38pm

Mark-Harrop wrote on Sep 11th, 2014 at 2:15am:
There is a reason the anal sex is often referred to as "Greek"…

Shocked

From a Boardman book review about vase paintings: Tricks for studying vases are also included: one amusing example takes note of a vase that can be roughly dated because the names of its young lad models, some of whom grew up to be well-known citizens, are listed on it. ("They were only of interest to their aged fondlers while they were still boys," notes Boardman.)

Huh

Fighting naked can be a sign of faith in the magic protecting you. During the Liberian civil war there was a General named Butt Naked, who fought naked for this very reason.

Zulus thought their flimsy shields could stop bullets if they were dipped in water...

Real armor is more effective than magic though…at least in my experience.

I just knew you where the type of man who ran around naked with his rifle in his hand  Grin

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #62 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 1:51pm

You have to take all the older written records with a slight dose of salt. 

The fierce barbaric Norsemen were written about by mostly Irish Christian monks, who happened to be a favored target of said Norse when they went viking.

Roman accounts of the Huns that were burning down the countryside are also a little slanted.  And their accounts of Celts depended on whether the Celts were attacking them or defending against them.

Some were out and out thugs, some were, by the standards of the time, quite noble, but by our 21st century standards, still pretty brutal.

The spiritual side of the Eastern martial arts is there, just as it was in the Western, it's just that way too many people get their history lessons from movies and the movies don't mention the spiritual side in a Western film, mostly because the director didn't know it was there.  And if you look carefully, most of the sword fighting is Eastern, not Western, because very few people know what HEMA is.

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #63 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:22am

I've got the strongest magic…

Its a potent combination of training and experience that can't be duplicated by spells or incantations.

Kings pay handsomely for it…

Women swoon over it…

Young warriors try to emulate it…

….and it can be yours for $19.95

Wink

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #64 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 8:00am

JAG wrote on Sep 11th, 2014 at 1:26pm:
How can you say that warriors didn't tend to do much writing? Where is your evidence of that? Now it's true limited sources survive, but that does not mean that a conclusion such as yours can be drawn.

My other point was that since none of us were around back then, we don't know what the actual martial arts practiced back then looked like.  But an easy bet would be that they were far more practical and less philosophical/spiritual than today's martial arts.

My experience is that all traditional chinese martial arts have become more practical and less spiritual since becoming open to the west. You should remember that up to the middle of the 20th Century such knowledge was denied to westerners for spiritual reasons. Yet, even today honoring the dojo and your opponent is customry prior to a fight.

I say that because we not many writings survived.  If more had written, then it would be likely that more would have survived.

And you can't assume that ancient Chinese martial arts were anything like Chinese martial arts 50 years ago. That is a conclusion that just cannot be made. It goes against all knowledge that we have of history.

JAG wrote on Sep 11th, 2014 at 1:26pm:
Again that is a conclusion that just cannot be made. It goes against all knowledge that we have of the ancient warrior classes.

I think Bill Skinner said it better, "Some were just people..."

http://chivalrytoday.com/series/real-knights/  This article gives a fairly balanced look at knights and chivalry.  And I'd like to point out that:  Quote:
In contrast, the unsavory image of the knight as an unscrupulous soldier seeking plunder and vengeance in the name of “honor” can be found in the pages of medieval chroniclers such as Matthew Paris and Froissart, in depictions of battle and tournament such as the Maciejowski Bible and the Manasseh Codex, and is reinforced by satirical authors of the period, including Dante and Cervantes.

Basically, the contemporary authors tended to depict them as thugs.  It wasn't until later that authors depicted them as 'noble'.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

JAG

Pussy Cat

GB
Reply #65 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 11:26am

Mark-Harrop wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 3:22am:
I've got the strongest magic…

Its a potent combination of training and experience that can't be duplicated by spells or incantations.

Kings pay handsomely for it…

Women swoon over it…

Young warriors try to emulate it…

….and it can be yours for $19.95

Wink

£12.29 !!! Christ you're cheap  Grin

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #66 - Dec 30th, 2014 at 7:52pm

Just for completeness' sake: here's an image (perhaps ca. 550 BCE, a hundred years before the cup by Makron) showing a slinger with a basket or bag of stones on his left arm (Munich, Antikensammlung 340267). Posted elsewhere, but also belongs to this thread.

cc001001_jpe_002.jpeg (30 KB | 108 )
cc001001_jpe_002.jpeg

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #67 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 8:04am

This video of C_A reminds me of these ancient pictures where the body seems to be facing away from the target:

https://youtu.be/RbajU0mr3Kw

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #68 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 12:48pm

Yes, and very typical of the "Makron" style is that the rear foot changes orientation, rotating towards the target, upon release. It's smoothly done (you can also spin on the front foot rather than taking a step).

Edit: if you wanted it to be full Makron style, the slinger should look towards the target with his head, while turning away from the target with his body. This introduces an element of torque, which, upon unspooling, ensures dynamism and alignment in the release.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2016 at 6:33pm by Thearos »  

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #69 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 1:54am

I see a naked guy chasing another guy with a purse. Are you sure that isn't a modern image?  Grin

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #70 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 2:16am

Look at the picture on the cup on page 1 of this thread. There are others. Power shoot: turn body away from direction of target but keep looking at target.

The picture you refer to illustrates not the "Makron" style torque in the body, but the use of a "man-purse" to store stones.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #71 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 3:03am

Ya I saw it, but I'm not sure which man purse is more stylish. What do you think Theoros?  Grin

But in all seriousness,

In regards to the image on page one that you're referring to; I think the rear outward pointed foot of the figure might have been specifically drawn to aesthetically fit the circle in which the illustrator wanted to properly depict the image in an artistic manner. This means the image may have nothing to do with a "Macron" throwing style.

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #72 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 11:06am

most of the depictions of slingers are done from models not actual slingers.

So any actual extrapolated slinging style is pretty much just wild guessing.

Although david's volunteered to go that one step further in carteheina (or however it's spelt) next year. And as well as wearing the bare legged costume he's going to do a naked battle charge wearing nothing but  a hat Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #73 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 6:24pm

Huntsman: what I am saying is that if you sling with the right foot pointing away from the target, the left foot perpendicular, you get extra torque in the shot. Try it-- it works quite well. This position is also available in Italian longsword ("posta di donna").

It's mildly amusing that, as Morningstar points out, Mr Aardvark *naturally adopts this exact position for power shots*, but then says that *this exact position* is fanciful, at the very moment he is proving *with his own slinging* that it's a realistic position !

This is, by the way, how I shoot when I want extra power (and extra accuracy). It does put stress on the elbow so after a few shots I revert to less torqued up starting position.

left-donna.jpg (42 KB | 64 )
left-donna.jpg

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #74 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 1:45am

I watched CA's vid that David Morningstar posted & his foot is not facing away from the target as seen in the pottery depiction. Rather, his face is looking back and his foot is similar to a Balearic foot position as seen with my own Balearic video.

I will continue to do more testing however because you may be on to something Wink

Thanks Theoros for your continual exploration of slinging styles!

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)