Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Makron cup (ca. 490) (Read 29125 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Makron cup (ca. 490)
Oct 3rd, 2009 at 8:14pm

Just to repost some images. This is an Attic red-figure cup, with banqueting youths on the outside and a slinger in the tondo inside, by the painter Makron, dated to ca. 490 BC. Slinger, arrows, chiton and jack, cloak, bag with stones.

Makron2_001.jpg (70 KB | )
Makron2_001.jpg

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: Makron cup (ca. 490)
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 8:15pm

And this is a picture of a Balearic slinger from 1962: on pic. 1, he's preparing his shot. I think that's the pose on the Makron cup: amidst flying arrows, he's calming adjusting his shot, with a long sling and big round stones.

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 8:36pm

If that's a long sling then I must be the king of the universe. No offense toward you but still.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 9:05pm

I have two "usual" slings: one a bit shorter than me, one a bit longer than me (unfolded). The shorter one I aim simply by lifting the pouch before my eyes. The longer one I have to prepare, with my right hand above my head, and the left hand grasping the pouch, downwards-- the same position as the Balearic guy. That's what I meant; I also imagine that a "war sling" (to use T. N. Frank's expression) would be longer, stronger, and involve throwing bigger stones than usual, or even comfortable.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 8:57am

I may be wrong, but I guess that most of us and other sling users around the world normally use slings which are only a bit longer than their extended arm. So, in comparison with the majority, the sling shown in the photo by definition IS a rather long sling. And thus, mrboss, you ARE the king of the universe. Congrats!

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:08am

I dont think anything can be read into the pose, he is very obviously posed to fit into the confines of the circle.

I am really not liking the bag either. Its going to slide up and down his arm in a really irritating way. If you want the ammo bag there, pass the strap across the body from the other shoulder and it will stay put.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 1:13pm

Of course, if you want to fit a slinger within a circle, you can easily, as on the staters of Aspendos. That's why I still think Makron is showing a slinger carrying out a precise gesture, the same as seen on the photograph of the Balearic slinger in 1962, and which I instinctively do when slinging "long"-- pulling on the cords with the pouch in one hand, and hence the other hand above my head.

Next time I'm slinging, I'll try with a bag of stones in the crook of my arm.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 5:26pm

It's an illustration on a piece of crockery not a diagram in an instructional manual, so some artistic license has to allowed for. I think that David's comment that the picture has been somewhat stylised to fit the circular shape is quite reasonable. The precarious balance also emphasises action. The ammuntion bag is perhaps in an impractical position, but again, it's merely meant to show that he would have one, full of stones and ready for action.

Prior to high speed photography actions which are just too quick to follow were often not well understood. Artists resorted to various tricks to emphasize action which to modern eyes look strange or clearly wrong. Have a look at typical 18th and 19th C English hunting scenes. The horses are always shown in weird full extension poses which a galloping horse never adopts in reality, but they do convey the mood of a full speed chase.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 5:48pm

Look at the arrows.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 6:43pm

Under enemy archer attack presumably. Not sure if his leg is pierced or the arrow is merely behind. What do you think?

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 4:10am

Great finding, Thearos! Now we know that they used bags for stones. Some time ago we had discussions here whether ancient slingers used bags or just put the projectiles in a fold of their clothes,  what is a very cumbersome method. This picture is a claer evidence!

@ Aussie
The slinger doesn't look pierced. He looks quite healthy concentrating on his next shot. I guess that the picture shows him in the stage of loading a stone into the pouch. Therefore it is not possible to say in which style he will throw.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 4:15am

I smailed a little bit too fast. The two javelins stuck in the earth next to the slinger seem to be his weapons. So, are we allowed to suppose that slingers have been not allways too poor to buy more expensive weapons? However shield and other armour are missing. Due to time of the work (B.C.490) and the clothing he does not look like a peltast.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 5:08am

I don't know much about arrows, but since (in my view) this is a good, sensitive representation of a slinger (esp. as concerns pose), I wonder if the arrows are accurately shown-- barbed, wide head; short length; "round" fletching, big notch-- reminds me of the arrows that would go with a reflex bow.

E. Simon, who published this cup, thinks it shows a man fighting horse archers, because of the angle of the arrows-- which frankly I can't understand. In any case, foot archers also could use reflex bows (contacts with the Skythians). Greeks were surprised when they met people who shot long arrows (in the Anabasis, the Greeks take such arrows and make them into javelins).

Looks like a man in the "metaichmion", the no man's land, before battle starts. Arrows fly, but fall short. Coolly, he fishes a stone out of the pouch hanging on his left arm, passes it to his left hand (which already holds the pouch), then stretches the sling out with left hand down and right hand above his head, grip upwards (shown on the cup); next he will aim, swing and release a big stone at his archer enemies. "The slinger is slavish, the slinger is a coward", is what people say; here, the slinger fights his skirmishing fight with his opposite numbers, and it takes skill and courage to execute the gestures in the firing line.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 5:43am

Thearos,

Not really an active archer so missed the significance of the detail in the arrows you were looking for. However did notice the heads were barbed and have since noticed the wide nocks which would be consistent with horse mounted archers. Also wondered about the javelins presumably stuck into the earth to be used when the enemy came close enough for them to be effective.

Could it be that this cup is a commemorative of some battle where Greeks repelled Eastern mounted invaders?

Aussie

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 7:22am

The more I think about it, the more probable it seems to be a commemoration of a special historical (or mythological) event to me. What about the context? Do the banqueting youths on the outside give any clue?

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man)