Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The History Ch., Lost Worlds, "The Pagans". (Read 4972 times)
TN.Frank
Funditor

Throwin' sticks and stones.

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
The History Ch., Lost Worlds, "The Pagans".
Sep 27th, 2009 at 8:05pm

They actually mentioned slings and sling shot. WOW, there is hope. Anyway, if anyone has access to The History channel look up Lost Worlds, "The Pagans" and give it a look.  Heck, if you're on this web site you should already be watching The History channel, LOL. I love it and other History channels and programs on TV. Just wanted to share, talk to ya'll later.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: The History Ch., Lost Worlds, "The Pagans".
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:56am

shame, where i live the TV was 10 dollars, then suddenly it turned to 20 dollars a month. not a lot of people use TV nowadays. and the ones who do have a game system or already used a different network

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 10:59am

They only just breifly mention slings near the end but at least they DID mention it. Maybe this will start a trend of getting more recognition for one of mans oldest projectile weapons.  Roll Eyes

Judges 20:16 "Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss."&&&&http://www.glockforum.com/forum&&

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 7:46pm

I missed that. Well, I didn't watch it because I was wary of the historical accuracy of something called "The Pagans".

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 12:39am

Ęthelbera wrote on Oct 14th, 2009 at 7:46pm:
I missed that. Well, I didn't watch it because I was wary of the historical accuracy of something called "The Pagans".

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Vague generalizations are always best, that way you don't have to explain anything. Besides, "Pagans" sounds sort of bad guyish so we know who we're supposed to root for. You sound like an intelligent girl, Kayla. You should know that.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 6:07pm

The word "Pagan" is actually a Roman word for "Country Folk" believe it or not.   Many who follow the Norse religion of Asatru perfer "Heathern" which means "People of the Hearth" and are offended if you call their religion "pagan". Go figure,LOL.

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 10:51pm

TN.Frank wrote on Oct 15th, 2009 at 6:07pm:
The word "Pagan" is actually a Roman word for "Country Folk" believe it or not.   Many who follow the Norse religion of Asatru perfer "Heathern" which means "People of the Hearth" and are offended if you call their religion "pagan". Go figure,LOL.

I'm Theodish, and a linguistics major, so I'm well aware of the etymologies. Grin
I was referring to the kind of bias one might expect to see with a show like that. Playin it safe.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

TN.Frank
Funditor

Crossville, TN. U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 9:08am

Actually, most of History is kind of bias since it's normally the winners that write it. Alaric was a Christian King of the Goths and when he "sacked" Rome it was actually pretty mild compared to what other "barbarian" tribes might have done but to read the Roman account you'd have thought he raped, looted and pilliaged the entire town then burned it to the ground, LOL.  I guess it depends on the account you read since the Romans made it out to be a lot worse then it really was.

IP Logged

JerrySlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 2:25pm

I saw an episode of "Warriors" on the history channel where they were showing weapons and tactics used by Germanic tribes and they also had slings. They seemed to be made of a single strand of leather almost like a belt. I was also watching a program on the military channel about the siege of Masada and they spoke about slinging and artillery then they brought in an expert slinger to demonstrate the accuracy on a target. He was very accurate I believe he was from an arabic country.

IP Logged

JerrySlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 2:30pm

Oh I forgot to mention the discovery channel also mentioned slinging in the weapons of the mexican aztec you can see it here and at 4:28 you can see a slinging demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBa1G12KyTM

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 9:42pm

TN.Frank wrote on Oct 16th, 2009 at 9:08am:
Actually, most of History is kind of bias since it's normally the winners that write it. Alaric was a Christian King of the Goths and when he "sacked" Rome it was actually pretty mild compared to what other "barbarian" tribes might have done but to read the Roman account you'd have thought he raped, looted and pilliaged the entire town then burned it to the ground, LOL.  I guess it depends on the account you read since the Romans made it out to be a lot worse then it really was.

The History channel is NOTORIOUS for bringing bias into it and generally being all around ridiculous. I suspect they're more about ratings.

WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)