Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slingstones from Danebury (Read 4556 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Slingstones from Danebury
Sep 26th, 2009 at 9:48am

This is a couple of photos snapped from the TV showing some of the 11,000 slingstones recovered from the caches at Danebury Iron Age Hillfort. As you can see, they are not small!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Slingstones from Danebury
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 9:50am

This is a fired clay sling shot, viewed end-on. It is the same shape as the stones above.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 3:56pm

how about adding a pic of the ones you picked up Smiley
here's a video of a couple I picked up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxRd4ssDhiU

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 6:28pm

Okay... left to right, the first two are from Chesil beach, the brown one is from Danebury, the golf ball is from Tesco and the clay bullets  are made by me. The stones we were finding in the path at Danebury were not as big as the ones shown on TV. Different colour too.

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 3:32pm

How do you distiguish a historical sling stone from other round shaped stones at Danebury. Do they still smell like a leather pouch or the blood of the injured warrior?  Roll Eyes

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 3:49pm

lol not exactly.

To start with danebury is chalk and flint.
What we were finding were obviously non-native. All the same colour, shape and size. Many with regular striations on them where they had been shaped.

Plus they were the right size, shape and weight for a hand sling and flew really well.

One of slingbadgers books (he bought a load lol) says that many of the stones were from a stream about 30 miles away.

But the brown ones we were finding were just too regular and unusual to be anything other than slingstones - particularly given the history of the fort.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 4:10pm

I sent you ll the pertinent info from the book. Lord knows when you'll get it. There is also a microfiche I have to look at that tells the composition of the stones, etc.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 5:00am

The ground at Danebury is a thin layer of turf on top of white chalk. The footpaths are made of crunchy angular flint gravel with occasional beautiful round stones that were just begging to be slung.

It is quite possible that these modern paths were surfaced with gravel trucked in from quarries miles away which would squash the theory that these are actual iron age slingstones as used by Danebury folk. This is why I noted that the slingstones shown on TV that came from the gate caches, were quite a bit bigger that the ones we were finding in the path.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)