Send Topic Print
slight problem... (Read 2160 times)
Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
slight problem...
Sep 25th, 2009 at 6:58pm

I'm having a whirl at making a simple bow, but now have a slight problem.  The grain is twisted.  I didn't see it at first, but it became frustratingly clear after I split the wood.  When I hold the middle of the stave with the belly facing me, the wood has made a 90% turn at the ends, with the belly facing to the left and right.  I obtained the first Bowyer's Bible, and it was helpful, but I don't recall any information on this particular problem...
Will it even work if the grain is so twisted?  If it will, do I have to make the nocks different to compensate?

Thanks,
Eo

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Re: slight problem...
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 7:27pm

I can only wish you luck.  Very experienced bowyers can sometimes turn such a piece of wood into what they call a "character" bow, but it's not easy.

If the twisting is near the end of the staves, likely the ends will try to twist when the bow is drawn.   You might be able to compensate by leaving the tips rather stiff, and letting the middle or "belly" of the bow work more.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 8:04pm

The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1 says:

"If the bark spirals up the trunk, search on. Even if the tree is stovepipe straight the spiral grain makes it worthless. An orthodox bow made from a spiral grain tree will have the grain running diagonally across the limbs making it prone to breakage."

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 8:13pm

David Morningstar wrote on Sep 25th, 2009 at 8:04pm:
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1 says:

"If the bark spirals up the trunk, search on. Even if the tree is stovepipe straight the spiral grain makes it worthless. An orthodox bow made from a spiral grain tree will have the grain running diagonally across the limbs making it prone to breakage."

Embarrassed  I know, but I cut the wood before I bought the book, and didn't notice it even then or I probably would have moved on.  Still, I want to salvage it if I can, it if I can't the maybe I'll learn something. 

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Woonilsra
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 12:27am

Head over to paleoplanet archery forms, if anyone knows what to do, those guy will.
If all else fails, use it for a staff sling

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"&&&&"A sword is a weapon. The art of swordsmanship is learning how to kill. That is the truth"&&&&"Dead!" I answered, and amiably "Murdered," the Hangman corrected me. "First the alien ... then the Jew. I did no more than you let me do."

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 6:35am

Woonilsra wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 12:27am:
use it for a staff sling

This is a much better idea. Trying to use it for a bow is just setting yourself up to fail.

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 6:36am

I've run into that problem with atlatls. Granted they are a lot shorter than a bow. I heat-treated them and took out the twist. I have no idea if that would work for a bow or not.

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:40am

Slight "propeller"  twists can be steamed and bent...might be worth a try.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)