Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Attaching Flint arrow heads (Read 8189 times)
Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Attaching Flint arrow heads
Sep 12th, 2009 at 8:14pm

So I started playing around knapping flint.  After making some poor arrow heads I thought these need to be on arrow, so this is how I attached one.  Slit and filed down a straigh branch, stick the head into the slot and tied it on with artifical sinew.

My questions is how to other people attach flint arrow and spear heads?

ArrowHeads.jpg (257 KB | )
ArrowHeads.jpg

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Re: Attaching Flint arrow heads
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 8:17pm

Of course the next step is to shoot the sucker.  I loaded up a kids 24 lb bow and when and shot the ground and some pop cans.  I t actually worked without falling apart.  Next step I think is to put it on a proper length arrow and try it from my 50lb bow.  The first arrow is only 2' long because that is the longest straight branch I could find in my yard quickly.

CokeArrow.jpg (329 KB | )
CokeArrow.jpg

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 8:51pm

The traditional method is pine pitch or similar adhesive and real sinew binding.  Sinew is stretchy and dries hard, so it creates a tight bond.

The latest release of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible has an entire chapter on "arrows of the world", with illustrations of dozens of different types.

IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 10:10pm

nice points!

if you cant get pitch andf real sinew i recomend using epoxy and fake sinew or even beter would be to use hot melt glue so you can just heat the points up if  you need to remove the points in the future

most larger sporting goods stores sell archers hot melt glue, its a bits stronger than the other stuff

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 4:20am

Look up 'hafting flint points' on youtube, the videos by Paleoaleo are 100% awesome.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 4:38pm

i generally just set my points with glue (pine pitch, hide glue, or hot glue) then wrap the shaft behind the point with sinew to prevent splitting. i usually use obsidian or dacite for my points which, although extremely sharp, are rather fragile and rarely stand up to more than one shot. by using this method it's easy to replace a broken point while keeping the arrow shaft (the more difficult peice to make) intact. flint, on the other hand, is quite a bit more durable and a combination of glue and wrap might be more warrented.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:30pm

here's an example of how i set my points. it's a 3 1/2" spear point instead of an arrowhead, but the technique is the same.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:37pm

Paleoarts wrote on Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:30pm:
here's an example of how i set my points. it's a 3 1/2" spear point instead of an arrowhead, but the technique is the same.

so basically you really just tar it into place, then use cord (or sinew) to whip the back off to prevent it from splitting further then it should, rather then using the whipping to hold it into place

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 6:04pm

that's right, kid. ideally, in a hunting situation, you'd want your point to come off inside your prey and the shaft to fall out. this will speed up the animal 'bleeding out' and spare your shaft from damage. the only time you really need to tie your points on is if you plan on pulling them out (shaft and all) and reusing them which is an unlikely scenario with brittle stone points. now, if you're using bone or steel or even tough flint like monster, then tying is sometimes worth the effort.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 5:38am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xlaxd6px_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIg_ehEZQyM

Native american points were usually hafted with pitch and sinew, sometimes with sinew alone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)