Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question for all knappers. (Read 2361 times)
Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Question for all knappers.
Sep 12th, 2009 at 2:09pm

I was at a large flea market yesterday and saw a knapper working on a biface outside of his booth.  I asked him some questions and eventually asked him if I could buy some of the larger flakes that he was taking off.  He laughed and said that I could take as many as I like because he was just going the throw them out anyway.  ?!?!?!? 

This was a windfall for me, because I don't have any good flint in my area, its ether been river rolled to the size of a golf ball, was crushed until it was the size of a golf ball by the glaciers, or is shot through with fossils and/or fault lines.  I have never worked good chert, and was confused as to why this fellow was throwing away perfectly useable flakes.  He was going to make a large knife out of the biface, which would have made him a good profit, but if he used the flakes to whip off a few Cahokia points, or even a few generic "bird" points, he would have wasted less and gotten more money for that one piece of chert. 

I don't know a lot about flint knapping, but this seemed to be very... uneconomic?  Is this common practice among professional knappers?  Is it more efficient to make big points and knives that bring in the big bucks, even though they take longer to make than the little ones?

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Question for all knappers.
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 6:58pm

he might just be one of those people who are like many modern Americans. also, most nappers probably do the same thing, the person might not have noticed that they where large enough flakes to knap something small because he might be used to smaller flakes that have no value except playing hell with your vacuum...

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 10:13pm

are the flakes small an or curved? im no knaper but i know that somtimes when your working down a large spall the flakes that come off have a curve to them. not good for arrows or darts but it would make a nice knife. and i sure wouldnt throw them away like that guy

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 11:42pm

Some of them were small, but there were lots of big ones that were not  curved, and would be perfect if you took the bulb of percussion off.  This is easier said than done, as I am having a rough time of it, but he probably could have done it with ease.
I am not trying ot be critical, I sometimes come off sounding like that, and he was a great guy and I am not frowing on his practices, even if I do disagree.  I was just wondering if you had a good supply of chert and enough skill, would the little points be worth making when you could just make a big croud pleasing peice and be done with it?  You wouldent make as much money per core, but you wouldent waste time on little points that don't bring in as much money ether... I personaly like the little ones, and would not throw good flakes away, but guys who do this for a living probably have to keep these things in mind...

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 4:54pm

eoraptor, it's like this. when i first started, i saved every tiny peice of stone no matter how irregular it was. the stuff was like gold to me and i couldn't stand to waste it. i would spend hours turning a one inch long curved flake into a half inch long bird point! but, as the years went by and my skill increased, i found that i lost interest in making those tiny peices. it was the bigger stuff that was more impressive and more difficult that held my interest. it's true, arrowheads and other small points are easier to make, but they take nearly as long as the bigger stuff. so, it's more a matter of the knappers time than it is about material. besides, once you're in it for any length of time you tend to make contacts and it's much easier to come by stone than it is for a novice. i still make small points, they sell really well, but i'm at the stage now where i can purposely knock off six or seven uniform flakes for that express purpose and don't need to comb through my debitage. if i saved all the bits and flakes from my knapping i'd have room for nothing else in my shop!

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 5:36pm

Grin  Thanks, Paleoarts, I figured it was something like that.  For now I still hoard the trash flakes though.  Thanks for clarifying.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:18am

Maybe he was just being a nice guy trying to help you get started. You might have been the only person to stop and talk to him (with interest to make it yourself)

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2009 at 6:31pm

Nowadays? It's probably more efficient to make the larger, more impressive blades on account of the fact that it's largely an artisan craft now. My arch teacher's friend gets wads of cash for his creations.
However, by your meaning of the word economical, keeping the small flakes would be a better choice than throwing them away. You could make a great many microliths to haft to arrowheads and they are easier to make and less likely to break.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2009 at 5:31pm

mounting them one leather/rawhide will make it sell at a higher rate as necklaces

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus)