Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Rat Man (three strand sheep shank) Sling (Read 33973 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Rat Man (three strand sheep shank) Sling
Reply #45 - May 3rd, 2010 at 12:03pm

Welcome, abetwo643;
   Way to go.  I'll bet that thicker cord was hard to weave.  Good job.
    A few weeks ago I made and used a Rockman for the first time in a while and was pleasantly surprised at how much easier and better it worked for me.  I posted a thread about it.  Today I finished up a TS3 I was making and tried it out this morning.  When I first started messing with and modifying Malik Lund's Appu-sling I thought that I'd discovered something great, but, as the tutorial states, it sometimes prematurely dropped it's projectiles.  When I found the solution,  pulling the pouch strands very tightly when weaving it so that the pouch formed a permanent "U",  I thought I'd found what would be my signature sling.  Something still was missing.. I was more comfortable with slings with bigger pouches and gradually the TS3 got pushed to my back burner. 
    To make a long story shorter, as with the Rockman, everything was different today.  It worked like I always hoped it would.  Obviously, something in my style had changed and improved.  I used mostly Byzantine style and a few Choctaw (underhand Byzantine) shots.  I tried all different sizes and shapes of rock, from acorn to almost fist sized, shot many, many times, and not one projectile was dropped.  Also, the smaller stones fired just fine.  The TS3 may still end up as my signature sling.  Today's was a really good session.
   I have to go now, but I'll post a picture of the sling and another kind I recently completed, later today.

IP Logged

abetwo643
Tiro

Slinging Rocks! Breaking
Glass!

Reply #46 - May 4th, 2010 at 11:02pm

Rat Man, I'm looking forward to seeing what your sling looks like.  The thicker rope was hard to weave.  The rope is discarded form work so it is only so long (about 4-5 feet) so I couldn't weave the pouch as tight as I wanted to.  I guess the next TS3 will be made out of paracord. -Abe

IP Logged

me2
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #47 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 12:04pm

I ran out of stuff to make my normal Rockman slings and tried a 3 strand sheep shank this weekend.  Works like a charm.  No dropped rocks, and the pouch fits perfectly with my available rocks.  They are about the size of a chicken egg or a little smaller.  I have a 16 strand box braid in the works, but that is going to take a while.  This one only took about 20 minutes, done during commercials of my kids cartoon shows.  I've tried the PJ slings too, but they kept twisting in the pouch.  I used some rope that was about 1/4" in diameter.  Were I using paracord, I'd use the PJ model.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #48 - Jan 1st, 2012 at 12:12pm

This three strand sheep shank sling, I used to make them in the beginning but the pouch was way to small for me so I swapped to the pj design and it works like a charm. But maybe I didn't use it enough to get good with it
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012 at 5:03am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #49 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 11:55am

The pj is an excellent design;  you'll never find me writing anything bad about it.  It's one of my top three favorites in fact, up there with the Rockman and TS3.  I've found that the TS3, if made properly, is just as easy to use as the pj.    The trick to making a TS3 easy to use is to pull up hard on the warp while weaving the pouch so that the pouch stays in the shape of a "U" when you're finished.  If your TS3 looks like this it will hold onto projectiles just as well as a pj.  I don't know why weaving a TS3 pouch in this manner makes such a big difference but it does.  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)