Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Rat Man (three strand sheep shank) Sling (Read 33760 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Rat Man (three strand sheep shank) Sling
Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 3:46pm

and once again i stick my fat head in and dump cold water onto someones achievements, the knotted sling that you make has already been done by other people off the forum, but still, all of you guys independently (at least i hope so) designed it

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 6:23pm

and probably somewhere someone else is "designing" it right now.  Your point was well taken and I really don't care what it's called.  I'm just saying that I believe it's a good design that hasn't been fully utilized or investigated here.  It's such a simple design that I'm sure it's been used countless times before.  But hold the presses... I tried something different, but before I go off saying that I've fixed the occasional rock dropping problem I want to test it.  I'll do that shortly in that the beasts are due for their walk soon.  I'll report back later tonight.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #17 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 6:35pm

Here's a sling similar to yours I made some months ago.
Looks like a 3 strand, but there's 9 strings. This has no fingerloop, you wrap it around your hand.  
The pouch is a simple 3 strand weave.

3string.jpg (75 KB | )
3string.jpg

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 6:40pm

Yes, very similar.  How do you like it?  How well does it work and do you have a problem dropping projectiles out of it?

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #19 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 6:44pm

I used that sling a couple of times before I gave it away. The pouch was a bit narrow, so it worked well with smaller projectiles. 
And i like the fingerloop better.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 6:53pm

That's what I found also.. though I can toss larger projectiles with it they're more apt to fall out.  I've got something to try in a few minutes that'll hopefully take care of most or all of that though, as soon as the beasts are done eating.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #21 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 10:42pm

My modification was a total success.  Under less than ideal conditions (dogs in tow, fading light, not enough room due to branches, brand new never used before sling, etc..)  I took ten shots and only lost one rock prematurely.  It's late and I can't take pictures without waking the entire household but around midday tomorrow I'll post some pictures of the improvement and explain. I wish I could have taken more than ten shots, but I really believe that I've found the answer.  The tsss sling is a success!

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #22 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 9:09pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 31st, 2009 at 10:35am:
I have about 8 pj slings that I love.  They shoot far and don't drop rocks, plus they don't look bad.  The three strand design shoots farther.  I worked one out this morning again and I'm convinced that it shoots significantly farther, like even up to 30%.  This is just eyeballing.  It's hard for me to measure exactly with beasts in tow, plus I can't see exactly where the stones land.  They're way, way far away when they touch down.  I've taken a lot of shots in the past 10 months though, and I'm certain that the three strand shoots farther than a pj, Rockman, or anything else I've made so far.   That alone doesn't necessarily make it a better sling all around, but it makes the design at least worthy of more investigation and experimentation.  
  The thing is that I can take ten shots in a row with the three strand sling without dropping a projectile, then I go into the rock dropping mode and loose like five in a row.  It's me, not the sling that's malfunctioning.

I believe that a good sling makes it relatively unnecessary for the slinger to do anything special to prevent rock dropping.

Of course I'm going to be subject to having a little bit of prideful bias in favor of the design known 'round these parts as the PeacefulJeffrey Sling, but I honestly lost all interest in a 3-strand version when I first made them after learning the design from Stormdrane of EDCforums.  It simply did not have enough width or cupping for holding the ammo I was likely to use, which at the time was golf balls (since there are hardly any rocks to be found around southern Florida).

I do not mean to denigrate your 3-strand design, but I do reject the notion that a design that is prone to runs of dropped ammo is acceptable.  At least, it is not acceptable to my personal sensibilities.  A simile came to me about it just now: it's like calling a gun a really good design because when it works it has superior range, accuracy and muzzle energy, but on unpredictable occasions the magazine will drop right out of the grip well!  I simply would never carry that gun or count on it for defense.  Might it be fun to take it to the range now and then to blast some rounds and work on great accuracy?  Sure.  But for when the gun counts--no way.

For me it's one of those "them as wants it can have it" things.  If you are enjoying your Rat Man slings, go for it!  Smiley

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #23 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 9:12pm

xxkid123 wrote on Aug 31st, 2009 at 3:46pm:
and once again i stick my fat head in and dump cold water onto someones achievements, the knotted sling that you make has already been done by other people off the forum, but still, all of you guys independently (at least i hope so) designed it

As far as the PJ Sling is concerned, I did lean heavily on the Stormdrane sling (which I think he learned from someone else, too) and really just modified the design.  And after I wowed myself by coming up with the five-strand modification of the original three-strand design of the sheepshank foundation, I later discovered a description of exactly that kind of sling!  I remain happy that I came up with it independently even though I was not the first person ever to do so.

I may, though, have been the first person to use an Ashley's Stopper Knot for a trigger with a Longbow Knot for a retention loop.  Wink

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #24 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 11:41pm

It's fine now... problem solved.  Check out the "Success" thread please.  No rocks dropped today and only one last night under not so great conditions.  With the 54" tsss sling my shot went farther than ever before and today I got a ricochet sound from the rock but hit nothing.  It just left the pouch buzzing/humming.  Way cool!

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #25 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 2:24am

I haven't made any sling 54" yet, but an increase of 9" from what I used to use brings me to 45", and I noticed a definite increase in available power when I used that last week.

And I just measured the PJ sling I made last night and found it to be 51", so that oughta be a treat when I get it out with my clay glandes some day...  Cheesy

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #26 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 3:40pm

hey pj, is stormdrane the same stormdrane from instructables that made the paracord bracelet tutorial?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #27 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 7:20pm

xxkid123 wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 3:40pm:
hey pj, is stormdrane the same stormdrane from instructables that made the paracord bracelet tutorial?

Yes he is.  The guy is the Gandalf of paracord projects.  I have long thought I was good; he is betterShocked

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #28 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 8:36pm

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 7:20pm:
xxkid123 wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 3:40pm:

Yes he is.  The guy is the Gandalf of paracord projects.  I have long thought I was good; he is better.  Shocked

tell him i said hi- no wait, i can do that on instructables  Grin

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #29 - Sep 2nd, 2009 at 8:57pm

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Sep 2nd, 2009 at 2:24am:
I haven't made any sling 54" yet, but an increase of 9" from what I used to use brings me to 45", and I noticed a definite increase in available power when I used that last week.

And I just measured the PJ sling I made last night and found it to be 51", so that oughta be a treat when I get it out with my clay glandes some day...  Cheesy

Really long slings like that aren't right for every situation.  They're a bit cumbersome to use and at least for me not all that accurate.  But for making rocks blast into the stratosphere they're way cool.
   I went out to Audubon Park tonight with a 36" tsss sling and a 45" tape pouch.  I was slinging in front of some friends, a few of which had never watched me before.  I did myself proud with accuracy that I surprised myself with.  I hit the same tree trunk from about eighty yards away five times in a row and barely missed with the sixth shot.  Of course I'll probably never do it again, but they don't have to know that.  There were no dropped rocks at all with the tsss sling.  Extreme tightening so it's permanently bent into the U shape has really done the trick better than I hoped.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)