Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Mounted Atlatl Throwing (Read 9755 times)
Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Mounted Atlatl Throwing
Aug 22nd, 2009 at 1:38am

I was tuning up my trusty steed this evening, and I had an insane idea. So I grabbed my atlatl and a handful of darts, and . . . .

Keep in mind this is my first time trying this, the horse's first time, and the wife's first time using the video camera, and my first time sticking anything up on YouTube. Apologies for the bad acting, lousy dialogue, background noise, huge file size, and any extraneous horse poop. As far as I know, this is the first time this has ever been done. At least for the last 30,000 years or so.
http://www.youtube.com/v/hIxJnJMl6YM&hl

This second video is with a different throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf9IlHsQJ2s

In all honesty, my accuracy isn't much worse moving on the horse than it is standing on the ground. Embarrassed It was kind of fun for a screwball experiment.

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Re: Mounted Atlatl Throwing
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 2:19am

this is funny, i was just thinking about this today! glad we're on the same wavelength. great vid, kjev. you may just be the first mounted atlatlist ever! keep it up.  Smiley

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 6:16am

Great vid, K'jev! I agree with paleoarts that you are probably the first mounted atlatlist ever.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 8:20am

30,000 years ago horses were atlatl targets. By the time people had figured out how to ride them instead of eating them, the bow had already replaced the atlatl.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 11:58am

Wicked.  Cool

Next step, atl atl on a dogsled   Grin

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 12:09pm

Eoraptor wrote on Aug 22nd, 2009 at 11:58am:
Next step, atl atl on a dogsled   Grin  

Well, we know someone with huskies...  Grin

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 4:18pm

Kjev, not to complain, bot could you make another video, but with the horse in full gallop Wink Smiley

I guess a lot of us slingers would want (and really need) that target you use, it got a decent size. Is it an enormous pile of hay bales?

My single attempt at making an atlatl failed miserably, I am doomed to remain a slinger for now Sad
timann

IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 4:28pm

what a good idea   Smiley and great vids!

i need a target that big too..

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 8:42pm

I like this. Have you tried mounted slinging yet?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 4:12am

timann wrote on Aug 22nd, 2009 at 4:18pm:
My single attempt at making an atlatl failed miserably, I am doomed to remain a slinger for now Sad

What was wrong with it? Post pics of the atlatl and the dart, and we will diagnose the problem Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 4:34am

Well, it was not a wery seryous attempt, either.  I just found this piece of wood that seemed promising, but it had a wrong sideway bend, and it ended as an rabbit stick anyway.  My dart was simply an hazel sapling, and was thrown away, javelin style.
So the diagnose is simply lazyness, and lack of applying myself Smiley

Oddly, I think the Norwegian atlatl community is even smaller than the slinging community, wich appear to be basically #me#.
timann

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 2:29pm

Kjev, not to complain, bot could you make another video, but with the horse in full gallop Wink Smiley

Not yet, for a couple of reasons. First, he's not entirely broke (trained). He tends to have panic attacks for no apparent reason. Darts+atlatl+1,500-pound panic attack= Not something I want to experience. HOWEVER, I intend to keep after this, and work him into doing it on the run.

But yesterday I took him on a long ride in the hills, over really rough ground. He's pretty out of shape, and so sore now he can hardly move.

I guess a lot of us slingers would want (and really need) that target you use, it got a decent size. Is it an enormous pile of hay bales?

It is. It's half my first crop (the guys who cut and bale it get the other half)

My first one was awful, but I didn't know any better. It was only after I built it and saw some real ones that I could see how bad I did. I broke the next 3 or 4, and finally around 7-9, I came up with some that were halfway decent. It takes practice.

Knaight wrote on Aug 22nd, 2009 at 8:42pm:
I like this. Have you tried mounted slinging yet?

Not yet. Over the years I have done bolos, ropes, bullwhips, shooting (not on this horse, though), bow and arrows (if you count a 20 lb recurve and willow switch arrows), and as kids, we used to race around and beat on each other with wooden swords. I'm a horrible slinger, so I'm still learning how to do it on the ground. Although mounted slinging sounds fun!

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 4:18pm

kjev, have you posted this over on paleoplanet yet? i'm sure everyone on the atlatl forum would love to see it.

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 11:57pm

Paleoarts wrote on Aug 29th, 2009 at 4:18pm:
kjev, have you posted this over on paleoplanet yet? i'm sure everyone on the atlatl forum would love to see it.

I'd love to, but Paleoplanets' #*($%%!!!Angry Yuku/Yucky/Whatever the  Angry it is forum let me register, but won't let me post anything. I'd be happy to, if they'd let me in. I plan on doing it again (faster) on a different horse (this one's still out of commission). I'm also trying to convince my wife to let me spray paint the outline of a wooly mammoth (or maybe an auroch would be more appropriate) on the side of the haystack for a target.

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #14 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 12:40pm

that would be awesome Smiley

as far as yuku, for pictures you have to download them into an album first on your yuku profile then you can copy and paste from there onto a posting. just go to your profile and click on the 'images' icon and go from there. it's also good to resize your pics first. for video, just post them on youtube and then copy the link to your paleoplanet post.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)