Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
dacite points
Aug 17th, 2009 at 4:33pm

here's a few points i made this weekend from some dacite that i got.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: dacite points
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 4:42pm

NIICE. Where is the dactite from? Never heard of that kind. The whole are I live in sits on top of Onondaga chert, which is supposed to be high quality for knapping.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 5:17pm

niceee i love the leaf shaped ones..are they going to be knives?

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 7:28pm

if you ever need another sling...

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 7:31pm

this dacite comes from oregon, but it can be found all over the country. these i'll probably make into spear and atlatl points. Tom Mills gave me an awesome blade on saturday and i'm making that into a knife.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 7:40pm

is the knife capable of easily cutting wood and such? i seriously need to get a good knife for some crafts that require a good one (i ca't find my best knife, and a cleaver blade is a little unwieldy for me)

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 8:44pm

if you need a good knife to rely on for carving and craftwork than id recomend a steel one. im not saying stone points arent capable but you probly need somthing sturdier.

check out this knife. i have one and i use it more than any other one i own

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Text&SearchText=finn+bear&...

or maybe you can go to a flea market and look around. any "old hickory" brand knife is pretty good. if you get one thats a paring knife that that should be versitle enough for any work

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 9:09pm

Paleoarts, my Dad does knapping, and I've tried to get him to make me a couple of atlatl points, but we're unsure how long they should be. How long are yours?

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 9:15pm

Kjev wrote on Aug 17th, 2009 at 9:09pm:
Paleoarts, my Dad does knapping, and I've tried to get him to make me a couple of atlatl points, but we're unsure how long they should be. How long are yours?

K'Jev
Cool

although i don't atlatl , i think it's more about weight then length. you obviously can't have a thin and long flake of rock though, but i think it's weight that's the most important

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 1:44am

wow, kid, you hit it right on the head! it is about weight. or mass, actually. atlatl points can be as varried in shape and style as atlatls themselves. from tiny arrowhead size to fairly large clovis points. the thing to remember is that you don't want to tip the balance point of the dart much further than one third towards the tip. you can go as small as you want, but i wouldn't haft a point that exceeds that rule. this can also depend on the size and length of your dart as well. obviously, the longer and heavier the dart, the bigger the point you can use. mine are generally between 2" and 3" in length and about half that in width. i lean towards leaf shaped points with the occasional dalton and/or folsom. the smallest point in my pic will probably end up on a dart with the other two larger ones as spear points. oh, by the way, the sizes are 5" for the big one, 4" for the middle (also the thinnest), and 3" for the smallest.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 2:28am

now, if you think my points are impressive (because they're not), then check out this bad boy! this was given to me by Jim Winn (flintknapperjim over on paleoplanet). it's an opaque obsidian over 11" long and thin as a cracker! you have no idea the skill level needed to produce a piece like this. Jim is a master knapper who literally has piles of things like this just laying around in his yard.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 11:11am

Paleoarts wrote on Aug 18th, 2009 at 2:28am:
now, if you think my points are impressive (because they're not), then check out this bad boy! this was given to me by Jim Winn (flintknapperjim over on paleoplanet). it's an opaque obsidian over 11" long and thin as a cracker! you have no idea the skill level needed to produce a piece like this. Jim is a master knapper who literally has piles of things like this just laying around in his yard.

dang, that's pretty

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:48pm

been knapping quite a bit recently due to the fact that i was running out of points. at one time i probably had two to three hundred points of various sizes, styles, and materials in my collection but after a years worth of shows i managed to sell nearly all of them. this now gives me an excuse to break out the ole antler billet and get crackin'! here's what i cranked out this weekend so far. the top row is a couple of axe heads and a pair of knife blades, all made from heat treated novaculite. the middle row is northern california obsidian. and the bottom row is all dacite from up oregon way.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:51pm

some more detail on the novaculite...

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:52pm

on the obsidian....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)