Kids are learning (Read 8848 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Kids are learning
Aug 17th, 2009 at 3:39pm

Hi;
   One of my younger friends from the neighborhood, Austin, just came over and showed me his new staff sling.  It's a relatively short sling, maybe 3 1/2 feet, made from a fishing rod.  He had a peacefuljeffrey sling on it and it looked very well done.  The kids that are making their own slings around here are doing so with no help from me other than a bit of advice from time to time.  Mostly they're coming here to slinging.org and learning how to make them.  The way they're taking to it makes me think that slinging has a future.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Kids are learning
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 3:41pm

course it will. and have you encouraged any of them to join the forum? slinger87, adsi, and i are probably feeling lonely in the world of teens and grownups you know...

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 3:51pm

I've suggested many times that they join.  I think that some will eventually.  Right now they seem satisfied to just lurk and learn.  Maybe some will read this and join.  I very much enjoy the contributions of our younger members and wish there were more.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 3:53pm

well we have Germany here now, he's only 13 so I'll still count him as a pre-teen/ kid

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 4:01pm

I'll have to look for Germany's posts.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 4:03pm

Well done, Rat Man. It must be great to see your "slinging seed" grow.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 4:25pm

Yes, quite,  Fundibularius.  I wish I'd started at that age.

IP Logged

Gullinbursti

Slinging Rocks!

Providence, Rhode Island - USA
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 9:05am

Virtually everyone who has seen me slinging and expressed interest has received a handmade sling and instruction from me. Once people see me using it effectively they usually get pretty excited about slinging. I definitely think slinging has a future, it just needs a little promotion.

IP Logged

Germany
Tiro

medieval slinging is great!!!

Germany-NRW-Paderborn
Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 9:11am

When I sling with some of my friends
they are all intrested in a own sling
so sometimes i make one for a friend
I think the people like slinging because it`s new

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 10:41am

all my friends look down at it. only 2 friends actually like it, though one friend only likes it for the swishy noise from my captain Paul...  Grin

my parents aren't to happy about it, and my sister laughs scornfully at my "braiding" and tieing knots in string. i don't really care about my sister, becasue she probably would say it's uncivilized and stuff if she saw me actually slinging. i mean, if she was a pioneer she would be a mad "papoose" killing person. shes not violent, just a little bland and unmovable

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Germany
Tiro

medieval slinging is great!!!

Germany-NRW-Paderborn
Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 10:44am

Very much people in germany like it
because it is very new
nobody knew this weapon before I show it

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 4:05pm

Yes, germany, maybe because we Germans do not seem to have had a great slinging tradition. But it's good to hear that people in your region have a positive attitude towards it.

Rat Man, if things keep on developing like this, you may have the opportunity to become the director/president/dean/guru/chairman of the first real Slinging Academy.  Wink What about that?

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 6:11pm

Quote:
I think the people like slinging because it`s new

so old it's new Smiley

I guess this current generation grew up with video game weapons.

Still good to see slinging being promoted Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 10:13pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 17th, 2009 at 3:39pm:
Hi;
  One of my younger friends from the neighborhood, Austin, just came over and showed me his new staff sling.  It's a relatively short sling, maybe 3 1/2 feet, made from a fishing rod.  He had a peacefuljeffrey sling on it and it looked very well done.  The kids that are making their own slings around here are doing so with no help from me other than a bit of advice from time to time.  Mostly they're coming here to slinging.org and learning how to make them.  The way they're taking to it makes me think that slinging has a future.  

Wow! Cool!  He made a PeacefulJeffrey sling?!  I'm flattered!  Besides, that's a kind of ambitious design--it's not the simplest kind one can pick, anyway.

I was at my ol' amphitheater on Sunday night with a friend who was walking her dog.  I rode out to meet up with her.  When I got there, she was socializing with a woman who had two dogs, herself.  I took out my baseball sling and slung some baseballs and tennis balls, and when she saw the sling, she remarked that her son had recently made a sling (she didn't know the word for it until I gave it to her).  She said the she/he had met someone down there who had given a steer toward online resources.  I recall having done exactly that, so it must have been him or her I had seen some months ago at that very field.  Apparently he went online and learned how to make a sling.

I have to wonder if he's on this board now.  The mom's name is Andrea, and I think the son's name is Sam (but I'm not sure).  Sam, are you watching here?  If you want to work on slinging at some point down at the Meyer Amphitheater, send me a PM.  I can meet up most days around noon, or on weekends.  Never slung with another person before, really.  Plus, I'm dying to see what kind of sling you've come up with!  Cheesy

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 7:37am

Rat Man soon you will have your very own detatchment of slingers at your command. Wink

This weekend I am going slinging with some customers. They have all received slings from me in the past month (PJ 5 Cord) and now we are meeting up in the park to throw tennis balls.
The different levels of society that these guys come from amuse me on one end I have a doctor and an archeologist on the other a guy that owns a MMA Fighting Club and the gentleman I get my paracord from.

It should be good times and if not there is a kickball game following directly after that.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy)