Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Aluminum Atlatl Dart Question (Read 13199 times)
Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Aluminum Atlatl Dart Question
Aug 8th, 2009 at 8:43am

So I walked into the local sporting goods store to get the stuff to make my first set of darts.
  • 1 dozen aluminum arrow shafts. . .check
  • Bright colored fletching (so I can find the darn things after I throw them). . .check
  • Sockets for the points. . .check
  • Points . . . .

Did you know arrow points come in different weights? Yup. They are weighed in grains, just like bullets.

Ooooooooooookay.

So I asked the clerk in the archery department for help. The conversation went something like this:

Me: What weight point works best?
He: It depends on the length of your arrow. How long are  your arrows?
Me: Five feet.
He: (Smiling like he's talking to an imbecile) Not your bow, your arrows.
Me: (Flat-toned like I'm repeating myself to another imbecile) Five feet.
He: Huh, followed by  Shocked.

So I had to launch into an explanation of an atlatl and what it was (you think an archery dude would know his history!). Incidentally, that raised eyebrow thing is EXACTLY the same look I got when I went to another store with a friend who knows the owner. Good thing I'm used to people thinking I'm crazy, I suppose.

For those of you who throw aluminum darts, what weight field point do you use? How do you decide what weight works? Does it even matter?

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Aluminum Atlatl Dart Question
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 9:30am

http://www.thudscave.com/npaa/darts/alumdarts.htm

https://www.msu.edu/~oberg/articles/goldtip/goldtip.html

Arrow points are so light you might as well get the heaviest one you can. Many people use extra weight inserts in aluminium darts to make them more front heavy and pack more punch. You can also put a smaller diameter tube inside to add weight and stiffness at the front.

A six foot long half inch dowel dart will have way more punch than any arrowshaft five footer.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 12:58pm

I seem to recall a formula from one of those atlatl sites....The dart should balance about 1/3 of the way back from the head.     Some fudging will likely be OK.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2009 at 1:22pm

bikewer, that formula is for hand thrown javelins, but it might hold true for darts as well. i use 160g field points on my 6' ashh darts and they work great. anything that puts the point of most mass at the front of the dart should work (up to a point). flexibility is the key factor in a dart.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 8:46am

It's true, my bamboo dart hits a lot harder than my aluminum ones. I think I'll probably buy the heaviest one I can find (it's what I ended up doing last time)

And the 1/3 rule holds true for darts as well.

I spent the weekend painting the shafts (I hate camo arrow shafts. I can never find them), glueing in small sections of carbon fiber shafts for the joints, and shaping the butt ends for my atlatl. Then I started working on the fletching: 4 5-inch fins in a spiral. . . someone shoot me if I ever try that again. What a pain! I imagine it will get easier once I figure out how to do it better.

Will get some pictures of them when they are done. Thank you all for the information.

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 9:51am

Kjev wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 8:46am:
Then I started working on the fletching: 4 5-inch fins in a spiral. . . someone shoot me if I ever try that again. What a pain! I imagine it will get easier once I figure out how to do it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik6_bRSmPJk

Watch these darts twisting like crazy after the 50 second mark and then ask yourself if you really need to spiral your fletches....

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 11:45am

On paleo planet I've seen reground 1.5 in spade bits used as broadhead dart points ... much heavier than std. arrow broadhead ... in case you need more weight forward

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2009 at 8:53pm

Steven wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 11:45am:
On paleo planet I've seen reground 1.5 in spade bits used as broadhead dart points ... much heavier than std. arrow broadhead ... in case you need more weight forward

In spade bits? Like horse tack-type spade bits? If so, it's probably the best use of a spade bit I've ever seen. I'm a snaffle man myself.

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 6:46am

Kjev wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 8:53pm:
Steven wrote on Aug 9th, 2009 at 11:45am:

In spade bits? Like horse tack-type spade bits? If so, it's probably the best use of a spade bit I've ever seen. I'm a snaffle man myself.

K'Jev
Cool

This: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/reply/244215#reply-244203

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 7:46am

Ahhhhh DRILL bits! Big difference!. When I think of "Spade Bit" This is what comes to mind:

One might see why I was confused.

But the drill bit idea is really good. I'm going to try to make some heads from sickle sections:

These are about 3 inches tall, so I plan to trace the patterns on and then cut them out with a disk grinder. I figure it ought to give me enough length to get a haft and fairly good broadhead. The actual item is part of a piece of hay cutting equipment, and is fairly tough steel. As a kid, I used to rivet several of these together and make monster-sized throwing stars. Range was pretty short, but they'd go an inch deep into a telephone pole.

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 4:33pm

I just made a good field point out of a section of copper pipe and a 1/2" thick bolt.  Nice weight to it.  I'll post a picture when my camera decides to come home.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 6:45pm

Pipe and bolts . . . Never thought of that.

Here's my latest aluminum darts. (Yes, I ripped this straight from the "Let's See Your Atlatls" thread)

As far as technical details go:
  • they are made from aluminum Easton shafts, 56.5 inches overall
  • 3-inch carbon-fiber inserts for the joints (the guy at the archery shop wanted to get rid of his scraps)
  • 4 5-inch spiral fins for fletches, and 100 grain field points (the heaviest I could find at Wal-Mart)

The spiral was an experiment. I've only thrown them a couple of times, but I haven't noticed a great deal of difference in accuracy or their flight. The balance point is almost in the exact center, which I don't like.

... ...

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 9:29pm

nice looking darts, man! i bet as soon as you find some 160g field points, your center of gravity will tip to the front third. but, honestly, i don't think it's that big of a deal. i shot today with a guy throwing very similar darts and he was hitting it big time!

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 7:30am

I know some atlatl darts have lengths of threaded rod epoxied into the tube behind the point to act as a balance weight.

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #14 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 11:42am

Somewhere in my sleep last night (or when I was hunting for a lost dart, maybe) I thought about packing some epoxy putty behind the head. On the other hand, I DO have a lot of spare bolts lying around. Not sure if any are small enough, though.

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)