Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gaelic slinging - death by cheese! (Read 8631 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Gaelic slinging - death by cheese!
Aug 4th, 2009 at 7:26am

http://books.google.com/books?id=Di9RIwxJ5pUC&lpg=PA229&dq=sling%20stone&lr=&as_...

Killer cheese, sling pouches, staff slings..... lots of good stuff Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Gaelic slinging - death by cheese!
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 10:18am

must have been parmesan Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:09pm

I don't know, CA, I had some cheddar s when I was over there that were pretty hard. Besides, I seem to recall there are villages in Britain that do cheese rolls down hills for sport. That has to be some serious cheese to survive.

Of course, she could have been cut by it's sharpness. Roll Eyes

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 7:06pm

slingbadger wrote on Aug 5th, 2009 at 1:09pm:
I don't know, CA, I had some cheddar s when I was over there that were pretty hard. Besides, I seem to recall there are villages in Britain that do cheese rolls down hills for sport. That has to be some serious cheese to survive.

Of course, she could have been cut by it's sharpness. Roll Eyes

perhaps extra sharp aged white cheddar? the good kind (as in not 75% wax) is pretty hefty... Grin

on a more serious note, i remember a guy on you tube who makes paper arrows, just as good as your normal arrow, but only usable for 5 times, shot an untipped paper arrow at cardboard from a 30 pound bow and would have went all the way through and kept moving if the fletching had gotten in the way. a sling would be much stronger and the speeds reached could have easily been fast enough to lodge into a head. plus this is myth we're talking about...

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 6:48am

True. There always is exaggeration in myth. There are stories of lead bullets being slung so fast they melt in mid air, stones knocking peoples brains out the backs of their heads.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 12:00pm

slingbadger wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 6:48am:
True. There always is exaggeration in myth. There are stories of lead bullets being slung so fast they melt in mid air, stones knocking peoples brains out the backs of their heads.

must have a pretty small brain... Grin

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 9:17pm

Nope, large stone that knocks the entire brain out of the persons head. Same as the story of the one eyed giant Balor who gets his eyed knocked out the back of his head.
  The idea was simply to show the strength of the hero through his weapon. Just like killing 50 people with the swipe of one sword.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 11:48am

slingbadger wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 9:17pm:
Nope, large stone that knocks the entire brain out of the persons head. Same as the story of the one eyed giant Balor who gets his eyed knocked out the back of his head.
 The idea was simply to show the strength of the hero through his weapon. Just like killing 50 people with the swipe of one sword.

heck long word or maybe his face was so ugly that when he looked at them they disintegrated...

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 10:07pm

"stones knocking peoples brains out the backs of their heads. [/quote]"

That can really happen tho.

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 11:32am

I found the description of the "staff sling" interesting.  Rather than using the staff to hold a conventional sling/pouch arrangement, this description indicates using a rather whippy stick and the "pouch" merely holds the stone in place at the end of the stick till it's released.

Might be fun to play with....

IP Logged

Captain Paul
Descens

der Schleudermeister

Bell Buckle,Tennessee
Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 8:27am

Doesn't sound like it would work very well with a whippy stick

Never look down on someone--unless you are helping them up !

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 12:40am

Medieval illustrations often show staff slings where the sling is extremely short, merely a pouch to hold the projectile. In fact there's a clip on YouTube showing such a staff sling in use. However the staff itself appears rigid not flexible.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Hanbaal

Just another medieval
cyberpunk

Australia mate
Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2009 at 9:16am

So we need to test the validity of this Irish story. Only one way to do that!
We need to show whether or not a piece of cheese is capable of that sort of damage. For historys sake.
Hmm, the cheese would need to be edible and available in Ireland at the time. Did they have parmesan?

The Sling Awareness Viking says: ... ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)