Send Topic Print
wooden javelin (Read 6803 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
wooden javelin
Jul 20th, 2009 at 11:52am

yesterday i was reading my second favorite book, High Rulain, and there is A LOT of stuff on the sling, as well as  wooden javelin. i was wondering, how do you throw a wooden javelin? i mean, most javelins have a head to it to make it front heavy for better throwing (but I'm not sure)

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Re: wooden javelin
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 12:08pm

actually, most javelins don't have a head at all, or at least a very small one. the heaviest part of a javelin ideally should be one third the way down from the tip. they can be thrown by hand or with a becket or baton de commandment (both of which are basically cords wrapped around the shaft to impart leverage and spin. one has a handle and one doesn't.)

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 12:24pm

hey thanks, so one third the way down should be the heaviest part (i think i'll go for an ovular shape, a sharp point that gets bigger to the 1/3 mark, then smaller again

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 12:37pm

Yep. Stick a point on the front end and then taper the back two-thirds so its balanced right. My javelin has a chunky wrought iron head so it only needed a bit of tapering to balance right.

I saw many wooden spears in the Manchester Museum backroom collections, especially from the pacific islands. They all had long tapered tail ends and were about an inch to an inch and a half across one third back from the tip.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 7:32pm

now to find some wood, most of the already fallen wood has fallen for ears, and is too dry and hard. good for last minute bows, bad for shaping. another good thing is that most branches taper anyways, so take a thick one, and just give it a bit more taper, and and smooth out the head and i'll be done. is 5.5 feet too long?

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 8:19pm

not long enough, really. most are around 7' i think.

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 8:58pm

Not sure where you live but at Lowe's hardware stores, you can buy inch-thick broom handles for about $2-3.00. They are 5 feet long, slightly tapered at one end, and do not have the metal thingy to screw into a broom. They also have inch-and a half thick closet rods and stair handrails (prices vary) that can be cut to any length you want.

When I made my first atlatl darts from broom handles, I tapered them with a horseshoeing rasp, but any really coarse wood rasp or file would work.

Hope that helps some.

K'Jev
Cool

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 11:11pm

the closet rods work good. ill 2nd that lol.

thats what i made my lance from. just make sure you get a straight one

i slung a rock into the air! &&where it lands i know not - ow

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 12:31pm

will i still be able to cut it with a good knife to taper and point it?

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 12:46pm

yea it shouldnt be any problem as long as the knifes pretty sharp  Grin

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 1:51pm

don't cut or whittle the closet rod! if you strike the wrong grain or cut too deep, you'll split it down the length. scrape it instead. hold the blade straight up (perpindicular) and draw it towards you, taking off a little at a time. it takes longer (but not as long as you think) and you get a much more even suface without risking your entire peice.

one other thing. the trouble with tree branches is they have a soft center or 'pith' as it's called, that makes a lousy point. if you use a branch, make your point off center in the harder portion of the wood.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 9:04pm

Paleoarts wrote on Jul 21st, 2009 at 1:51pm:
don't cut or whittle the closet rod! if you strike the wrong grain or cut too deep, you'll split it down the length. scrape it instead. hold the blade straight up (perpindicular) and draw it towards you, taking off a little at a time. it takes longer (but not as long as you think) and you get a much more even suface without risking your entire peice.

one other thing. the trouble with tree branches is they have a soft center or 'pith' as it's called, that makes a lousy point. if you use a branch, make your point off center in the harder portion of the wood.

right, i was actually thinking about using very course sandpaper, take months, but worth it, and scraping i can do too

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 9:15pm

scraping wont take months, just hours. it goes quicker than you think. i use freshly knapped peices of obsidian and they work great. they take off long curly shavings and give the peice a nice 'primitive' look.

IP Logged

aztec
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2009 at 10:47pm

or you can use a thick  piece of broken glass. thats what i do when i get a tomahawk handle thats to big. just make sure you dont get cut. some leather gloves and safety glasse's would be a good idea

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #14 - Jul 22nd, 2009 at 2:07pm

Paleoarts wrote on Jul 21st, 2009 at 9:15pm:
scraping wont take months, just hours. it goes quicker than you think. i use freshly knapped peices of obsidian and they work great. they take off long curly shavings and give the peice a nice 'primitive' look.

time to make and test my shell knife then Grin

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man)